+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: May 17, 2008 at 7pm miserable moment.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

May 17, 2008 at 7pm miserable moment.

Long trip home from losing to Pompey. ..

Missed opportunity to win that game ..

Re: May 17, 2008 at 7pm miserable moment.

Portsmouth were bang average. If we ha played a 17 year old Ramsey, I think we would have nicked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Portsmouth were bang average. If we ha played a 17 year old Ramsey, I think we would have nicked it.
    Also, Robbie Fowler was available and may have had it in him for a Wembley swansong. Our attack that day was powderpuff.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Also, Robbie Fowler was available and may have had it in him for a Wembley swansong. Our attack that day was powderpuff.
    Ahhh forgot about Fowler. Yeah, what a glorious swangsong it would have been for us and him

How quick has that 16 years gone? But compared to my 38 years supporting City up to that point , the last 16 years (forgetting the last 5) have produced some great memories. Add Wales on too we had roughly a 10 year spell never to be forgotten .

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    How quick has that 16 years gone? But compared to my 38 years supporting City up to that point , the last 16 years (forgetting the last 5) have produced some great memories. Add Wales on too we had roughly a 10 year spell never to be forgotten .
    I was reflecting on this earlier as I’m there tomorrow with some Crawley supporting friends. 4 trips - one gut wrenchingly disappointing (Blackpool) one disappointing but left full of pride (Liverpool), one great - but it was only Barnsley after all - and then that final. Least memorable of the 4 for me - just a completely deflating experience.

I didn't see it that way personally splotty, his, and JFH's, legs had well and truly gone (oh for Chopra not Thommo!)

Dave Jones got it very wrong that day. The fact that we drew Barnsley in the semi as opposed to Pompey and West Brom (who were the teams to avoid) should have made him realise that our name was on it.

Paul Parry hitting the post early on seemed to make one think it wasn't going to be our day.
    Enkelmann had another blunder in him (Villa B'ham was it?) and it was goodnight Vienna.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I didn't see it that way personally splotty, his, and JFH's, legs had well and truly gone (oh for Chopra not Thommo!)

Dave Jones got it very wrong that day. The fact that we drew Barnsley in the semi as opposed to Pompey and West Brom (who were the teams to avoid) should have made him realise that our name was on it.

Paul Parry hitting the post early on seemed to make one think it wasn't going to be our day.
    Enkelmann had another blunder in him (Villa B'ham was it?) and it was goodnight Vienna.
    Jones blew it

Pompey were poor and Ramsey in the brief time he was on showed his class

I felt so privileged watching my team in an FA Cup final, Cardiff City in an FA Cup Final still sounds absurd, that the result seemed unimportant. My team got to an FA Cup Final in my lifetime and that was what mattered. I did feel a little pang of envy the following day however, seeing Pompey's victory parade in an open-topped bus.

Now the Blackpool game, that was a different kettle of fish altogether.......

No one has mentioned our disallowed equaliser

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    No one has mentioned our disallowed equaliser
    Glenn Loovans shot, from outside the box, supposedly hand ball

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I felt so privileged watching my team in an FA Cup final, Cardiff City in an FA Cup Final still sounds absurd, that the result seemed unimportant. My team got to an FA Cup Final in my lifetime and that was what mattered. I did feel a little pang of envy the following day however, seeing Pompey's victory parade in an open-topped bus.

Now the Blackpool game, that was a different kettle of fish altogether.......
    Yes, that was how I felt, I went to the game with absolutely no expectation of winning, getting there was enough for me - this goes a long way to explaining why I would never have made it as a footballer even if I’d had the ability to do so.

Think we still stuck in the Wembley Stadium car park at 7 o clock.

Fowler was injured wasn’t he? (as always)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Fowler was injured wasn’t he? (as always)
    I don’t think he was, he wasn’t among the subs but I’m sure I’ve read that he was available, just not selected.

Robbie Fowler should've been in the squad. He had been injured but was declared fit the week before. JFH was dead on his feet from half time and Fowler would have been better option.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Robbie Fowler should've been in the squad. He had been injured but was declared fit the week before. JFH was dead on his feet from half time and Fowler would have been better option.
    He may have been an asset in the final just on reputation alone. The occasion certainly wouldn’t have fazed him and the psychological side of it could have worked, the sort of ‘Oh f*ck, here comes Robbie Fowler.’ going through the heads of the Portsmouth players if he came on. His goalscoring exploits were still fresh in the mind. Oh well, we’ll never know.