+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bundesliga 2

Re: Bundesliga 2

Another goal for Robert Glatzel yesterday (6 in 8 games for him this season). However, a shocking 2-1 defeat for Hamburg at bottom of the table Osnabruck, who had previously picked up just one point from six games and been beaten 7-0 at Hannover last week.

The one Bundesliga 2. game I ever saw was in 2000 or 2001 on an exchange - saw SSV Reutlingen win 8-2 against Saarbrucken. Shocking stadium, was a crumbling concrete block where they had us penned in like you'd see in the UK in the 70's or 80's and one of the other kids nearly got arrested on the way in because he forgot he had a pocket knife in his combats. But the only time in my life I think I'll ever see 10 goals, at least at such a decent level.

Another team that have disappeared way down the league structure... now in one of the regional Oberliga's. I think they had some money behind them in the early 2000's but still only managed 3 years in Bundesliga 2. before dropping back down to their usual level. German football is funny like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nor me. Is there one on every weekend?
    Yes, I think so. Next week looks good. Hamburg v Fortuna Düsseldorf and Hertha v St. Pauli both being shown.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    The one Bundesliga 2. game I ever saw was in 2000 or 2001 on an exchange - saw SSV Reutlingen win 8-2 against Saarbrucken. Shocking stadium, was a crumbling concrete block where they had us penned in like you'd see in the UK in the 70's or 80's and one of the other kids nearly got arrested on the way in because he forgot he had a pocket knife in his combats. But the only time in my life I think I'll ever see 10 goals, at least at such a decent level.

Another team that have disappeared way down the league structure... now in one of the regional Oberliga's. I think they had some money behind them in the early 2000's but still only managed 3 years in Bundesliga 2. before dropping back down to their usual level. German football is funny like that.
    Maybe not quite at the level you are talking about, but the Youtube piece posted by Der Kaiser further up this thread is worth viewing in terms of the ups and downs in fortunes of German football clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Another goal for Robert Glatzel yesterday (6 in 8 games for him this season). However, a shocking 2-1 defeat for Hamburg at bottom of the table Osnabruck, who had previously picked up just one point from six games and been beaten 7-0 at Hannover last week.
    Successive defeats to Elvesberg and Osnabruck for Hamburg. I bet they didn't see that coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Yes, I think so. Next week looks good. Hamburg v Fortuna Düsseldorf and Hertha v St. Pauli both being shown.
    That's great, cheers. I really had no idea about that.

Hertha are struggling I see.

Hertha are struggling I see.
    They’ve picked up a little, two wins in their last three games. They drew a crowd of 43,528 for their 3-0 victory over Braunschweig last weekend.

St. Pauli go top of the league with a 2-1 win away at Hertha. 60k attendance, with 12k from Hamburg. Watched it on Youtube and though St. Pauli looked worthy table-toppers.

St. Pauli go top of the league with a 2-1 win away at Hertha. 60k attendance, with 12k from Hamburg. Watched it on Youtube and though St. Pauli looked worthy table-toppers.
    I watched some of it. Incredible advert for the league

Can anyone explain Schalke this season?

They are of course an enormous club who should be no where near the bottom of the Bundesliga let alone the second division..

..and yet now, 8 games in they are still in the relegation zone (and still getting 60,000 sell outs). Long way to go but what's going on?

Nuremberg equaliser against St Pauli tonight, assist by Mats Moller Daehli. Classy little player, just a bit lightweight

St Pauli are an institution.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Nuremberg equaliser against St Pauli tonight, assist by Mats Moller Daehli. Classy little player, just a bit lightweight
    I see St. Pauli went back to the top with another thumping victory yesterday. A team that was struggling to score at all early in the season now has 13 in the last 3 home games.

Hamburg avoided a third successive defeat with a last minute equaliser at Wiesbaden. They've tailed off a bit.

Today's youtube live game is Schalke v Hertha. Worth a watch. Neither team has really established itself at this level.

I see St. Pauli went back to the top with another thumping victory yesterday. A team that was struggling to score at all early in the season now has 13 in the last 3 home games.

Hamburg avoided a third successive defeat with a last minute equaliser at Wiesbaden. They've tailed off a bit.

Today's youtube live game is Schalke v Hertha. Worth a watch. Neither team has really established itself at this level.
    Sorry - third defeat in 4!

I was watching the St Pauli game on a delay, it was hardly worth mentioning the MMD assist in the end. Blimey!

Hope to watch a bit of the game today, both need the points that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I was watching the St Pauli game on a delay, it was hardly worth mentioning the MMD assist in the end. Blimey!

Hope to watch a bit of the game today, both need the points that's for sure
    Are they playing as well as the result suggests, Harry? I saw them win at Hertha last week (on youtube) and they looked very impressive.

Schalke lost at home to Hertha Berlin.

They now sit comfortably in the bottom three.

This is a bit like someone like Tottenham or Arsenal being in the relegation zone in the championship.

Schalke lost at home to Hertha Berlin.

They now sit comfortably in the bottom three.

This is a bit like someone like Tottenham or Arsenal being in the relegation zone in the championship.
    This piece is more than 2 years old, but explains some of the reasons for Schalke's decline....

https://www.dw.com/en/schalke-relega...ues/a-57184763

This piece is more than 2 years old, but explains some of the reasons for Schalke's decline....

https://www.dw.com/en/schalke-relega...ues/a-57184763
    Thanks Peter.

I assume Schalke will come good and stay up, but it really is quite something as they are very much in the top 5 clubs in Germany.

Are they playing as well as the result suggests, Harry? I saw them win at Hertha last week (on youtube) and they looked very impressive.
    I think 5 was a bit flattering Peter but I like what I'm seeing. They hit that purple patch last season and it is starting to look similar - very quick counter attacking, no fear. I just hope that they can add some depth in January, if so who knows. They look a very good side at the moment.

Wins today for both of the 'fallen giants'. Good result for Schalke beating Hannover 96. St Pauli consolidate their position at the top by coming from behind to beat Karlsruhe 2-1.

Wink Re: Bundesliga 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsWM...nel=Bundesliga

Bit of quality action from the Bundesliga 2

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    Sadly st Pauli - much the better team - threw that away through the smoke and the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsWM...nel=Bundesliga

Bit of quality action from the Bundesliga 2
    A true classic, especially as it was Hamburg!

St Pauli, still unbeaten I see, when's the mid season break?