+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrexham sign James McClean

Re: Wrexham sign James McClean

I couldn’t give a monkey’s about his beliefs…good luck to him with that…. but on the field he has always generated a similar reaction in me to the one I have to Pickford. I’d be happy for that too change if (when) thry do a 3rd season of the documentary

46 Championship games last season, admittedly for a poor Wigan side, but I imagine he's more still more than good enough for League 2

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    His history is less of an issue when signing for a welsh club.
    Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Maybe, on the flip side, he’s one of the most admired players in football.
    Yup, this is where i sit. if he was black or asian or gay, jesus h christ. ****ing poppy shaggers with no brains!

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Why ?
    For obvious reasons I think.

I guess, putting it simply, because Wales was also invaded and occupied by the English. That's a fact, no matter how much you believe in modern day United Kingdom as a cultural entity.

I guess, as a result, a certain proportion of Welsh people also disapprove of the union and it's bloody, oppressive history..... and things like the poppy that can be seen as a form of glorifying or justifying certain historical events.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    For obvious reasons I think.

I guess, putting it simply, because Wales was also invaded and occupied by the English. That's a fact, no matter how much you believe in modern day United Kingdom as a cultural entity.

I guess, as a result, a certain proportion of Welsh people also disapprove of the union and it's bloody, oppressive history..... and things like the poppy that can be seen as a form of glorifying or justifying certain historical events.
    I know. 1284 was a long time ago, but it seems like only yesterday.

Didn't realise he was still playing

Our own Tom Farquharson was way ahead of his time

It's all relative though isn't it.

The impacts of 1284 are more relevant to people living in Wales in 2023 (devolution, language, housing) than the impacts of the 1914-18 war, whose commemoration is , in my opinion, mostly an excuse to reinforce the relevance of a waining union and it's royal family.

I don't suffer any direct emotional trauma from 1284 but I feel sad about the way my country has been abused over the years. The english government and its people (to a greater or lesser extent) tend to run roughshod over my country...... and as much as you or anyone wants to play it down or write it off as melodrama, I really dislike the current situation. It's heart-wrenching.

So, if my football team signs a footballer who publicly opposes british (english) foreign policy over the last couple of hundred years...well, I can sympathise with that.

I don't think I'm the only one in Wales who feels that way. I think there are probably "a lot" of us.

And that's why it less of an issue. ... not a non-issue maybe....but less of a big deal.

I wonder how many Welsh supporters who have a ‘patriotic’ go at McLean will be whistling & booing through God Save The King at today’s rugby and tomorrow’s game if Leeds’ fans give us a rendition?

Fair play!

He's a ****ing hero. I wish we had more like him in Wales.

Did they sign him to improve their team?
    Great start to their campaign 2-0 down in ten minutes.
    Lots of chat on here , sad to see some still carrying antiquated viewes .
    Been to Ireland twice recently , brilliant country , brilliant people . Most happy to go forward rather than living in the past.
    Is there much difference respectively to Wrexham and Man City last season ?
    The biggest budget won the league , hardly a fairytale.

His stance is what British soldiers did in Derry (including the welsh guards if memory serves me correct) and the Bloody Sunday event
    He has said if wearing the poppy was only about ww1 and ww2 then he would wear one
    Did ozzy ardilles where one when he was at spurs ?
    So in one way I respect his decision and stance ( we live in a democracy all views should be heard…. Take note sludge)

Something R&R May regret long term but that is there choice.

In footballing terms though they need players like him in league 2
    I wonder what his motives are ? Maybe a season in the MLS after this?

1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    1-4
    Ooooph…..so glamorous eh

I should imagine that his motive is for Ireland to be united, and maybe Scotland and Wales not be ruled by Westminster. It's nothing personal, it's strictly business.

Wrexham and Notts County have conceded 10 between on the opener.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I admire his stance for what he believes in. I admire him for his tremendous charity work benefitting the area where he’s from. As I’m sure many others do.
    Personally, I wear a Poppy every yr, as a mark of respect to every fallen service man or woman throughout history from any country.
    I’ve never really looked into McClean’s beliefs or opinions, but what ever they are, then he’s entitled to them. He’s just another footballer to me. I hope he does well for Wrexham.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Personally, I wear a Poppy every yr, as a mark of respect to every fallen service man or woman throughout history from any country.

I wear a poppy and always attend a remembrance service at the nearest town i'm at ( be it in Barry, Tidworth, Warminster or weymouth over the years )

I truly believe you can wear a poppy for whoever you want to remember, it can be WW1, WW2 etc etc ( personally for me its WW2, the Falklands and Afghanistan, but thats for personal reasons ) it doesnt have to be it all, so if you dont agree with the NI situation, dont wear a poppy for the British squadies who gave there life in that battle , thats fine
    Wearing a poppy doesnt mean you agree with every battle / conflict / war brits have been involved in

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I wear a poppy and always attend a remembrance service at the nearest town i'm at ( be it in Barry, Tidworth, Warminster or weymouth over the years )

I truly believe you can wear a poppy for whoever you want to remember, it can be WW1, WW2 etc etc ( personally for me its WW2, the Falklands and Afghanistan, but thats for personal reasons ) it doesnt have to be it all, so if you dont agree with the NI situation, dont wear a poppy for the British squadies who gave there life in that battle , thats fine
    Wearing a poppy doesnt mean you agree with every battle / conflict / war brits have been involved in
    Do you ever wear a poppy for Agincourt or Crecy?