+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Some mind numbing stats for you all, especially The Bloop!

Some mind numbing stats for you all, especially The Bloop!

Today's draw means we've now lost only once at Leeds Utd in 13 games. 1 more game without defeat will equal a club record of only 1 defeat in 14 trips to the same side, which we've achieved against Doncaster Rovers. Next comes Barnsley, where we've only lost 1 in 12. We've also held that record against Hull, Forest, Plymouth, Scunthorpe and Chesterfield.

The last 4 visits to Elland Road in all competitions have seen 22 goals scored. Maybe surprisingly, that's not the most from 4 successive away trips. The most was from 4 successive trips to Swindon in the 1930s, winning 4-1 and losing 6-2, 6-3 and 2-1; a total of 25 goals. There has been 24 goals on 4 successive away games to the same team on 1 occasion, 23 goals on 1 occasion and 22 goals on 5 different occasions.

Quiz question - before today, Solskjaer was our manager at one away game that saw 22 goals scored in 4 successive aways at the same team, though the first two of those games were in the early 60s. Which side would that be?

This is the 4th time we've started the season with an away 2-2 draw. In the previous seasons we've finished 15th, 16th and been relegated. It is our 36th opening day draw, meaning we've drawn more games on the opening day than won (26) or lost (34).

Today saw our opening day fixture being managed by a different manager for the 5th successive season. While that seems like a club record, it isn't. We had 5 different opening day managers in the 1980s. For a bonus point, name them.

Re: Some mind numbing stats for you all, especially The Bloop!

Richie Morgan
    Len Ashurst
    Alan Durban
    Graham Williams?
    Frank Burrows

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Richie Morgan
    Len Ashurst
    Alan Durban
    Graham Williams?
    Frank Burrows
    You're right with Ashurst, Durban and Burrows.

Doug Livermore and Richie Morgan [ I see you said not right in the post above but he was manager between 1978-1981]

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    Doug Livermore and Richie Morgan [ I see you said not right in the post above but he was manager between 1978-1981]
    Can't recall Livermore being our manager.

In any case, there's been a muck up and an error has been spotted in my spreadsheet. In the 1980s we had Ashurst, Durban, Goodfellow and Burrows. We have had 5 different managers on other occasions to start the season. From 1994 we had May, Hibbitt, Neal, Osman and Burrows and, from 2013, we had Mackay, Solskjaer, Slade, Trollope and Warnock. In the last 11 seasons, we've had 9 different managers at the start.

I'm honoured to be mentioned in dispatches Eric. I'm guessing the answer to your quiz question is Everton, as we hadn't played them in the league for so long before 2013/14.

Jimmy Goodfellow

I remember Goodfellow taking over, but was sure we had somebody come from WBA as a head coach in the early 80s as well?
    I thought it was Williams?

Yesterday we had 7 players making their debut in an opening game, what’s the most we’ve had Eric?