+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trains Leicester away problems

Trains Leicester away problems

Just looking at trains back from Leicester and there seems to be 2 problems.

1. RMT have announced a cross rail strike on Sat 19th Aug - not sure if that affects trains from Cardiff to Leicester
    2. Every train coming back from Leicester to Cardiff says sold out or not available.

I was looking at the train line website

Re: Trains Leicester away problems

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post

1. RMT have announced a cross rail strike on Sat 19th Aug - not sure if that affects trains from Cardiff to Leicester
    2. Every train coming back from Leicester to Cardiff says sold out or not available.

If I was going to Leicester I wouldn't go by train

It's two changes I believe ?

I had same issue , looking at train from Aberystwyth to Leicester, so went in to local train station this morning and booked returns no problem.
    Got tickets in hand but still shows sold out on Trainline so not sure what’s happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ABLUEBIRD View Post
    I had same issue , looking at train from Aberystwyth to Leicester, so went in to local train station this morning and booked returns no problem.
    Got tickets in hand but still shows sold out on Trainline so not sure what’s happening.
    Why use Trainline? It's usually much cheaper if you use Trainsplit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Interesting. He could have done the Aberystwyth to Leicester journey for £62, not the £75 he probably paid. I'll have to check the trainsplit site when I next venture onto railway.

It normally means that seat reservations have "sold out". I have no idea why they won't sell you a return with the caveat that no seating will be available as that is what in effect happens by buying a ticket at the train station.

£27 on the coach, 18 seats remaining

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    £27 on the coach, 18 seats remaining

Can you pick up and drop off ABLUEBIRD?

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Interesting. He could have done the Aberystwyth to Leicester journey for £62, not the £75 he probably paid. I'll have to check the trainsplit site when I next venture onto railway.
    Me and my mate have a rail card 2 together ,
    Cost us £37 each rtn , Aber to Brum to Leicester

Never heard of trainsplit will look at that for Shef Wed home game. Cheers

Never heard of trainsplit will look at that for Shef Wed home game. Cheers
    The Trainsplit system is pretty clever. As I am starting off from Yatton on Saturday but returning home to Taunton, I bought a single to Cardiff from Yatton and another single from Cardiff to Taunton. The latter single consists of 4 electronic tickets i.e. Cardiff to Newport return*, Newport to Bristol and Bristol to Taunton.
    *I sent an email to Trainsplit as to why one of the three legs is a return ticket and I received a very quick reply stating that their system had calculated that it was cheaper to have a return on that particular leg even though it wouldn't be used. They think that the official system they tap onto and which belongs to the train companies is pretty dopey.

P.S. Even if you have 3 tickets for a journey it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to change trains!

The Trainsplit system is pretty clever. As I am starting off from Yatton on Saturday but returning home to Taunton, I bought a single to Cardiff from Yatton and another single from Cardiff to Taunton. The latter single consists of 4 electronic tickets i.e. Cardiff to Newport return*, Newport to Bristol and Bristol to Taunton.
    *I sent an email to Trainsplit as to why one of the three legs is a return ticket and I received a very quick reply stating that their system had calculated that it was cheaper to have a return on that particular leg even though it wouldn't be used. They think that the official system they tap onto and which belongs to the train companies is pretty dopey.

P.S. Even if you have 3 tickets for a journey it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to change trains!
    A new one to me so useful for future reference. I usually split my ticket myself if I take the train. Does their ticketing address the problem of having a ticket from a station the train didn't stop at? I know some have had issues with that in the past as it invalidates the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    A new one to me so useful for future reference. I usually split my ticket myself if I take the train. Does their ticketing address the problem of having a ticket from a station the train didn't stop at? I know some have had issues with that in the past as it invalidates the ticket.
    You book specific trains and from specific stations old fruit - so I'm not sure I understand.

You book specific trains and from specific stations old fruit - so I'm not sure I understand.
    Scenario would be for example - you are travelling Taunton to Cardiff, but you buy a ticket from Taunton to Bristol and a Bristol to Cardiff ticket as it works out cheaper. However, if you then get on a train at Taunton to travel to Cardiff that doesn't stop in Bristol your Bristol to Cardiff ticket is not valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Same sort of thing, Mike

Scenario would be for example - you are travelling Taunton to Cardiff, but you buy a ticket from Taunton to Bristol and a Bristol to Cardiff ticket as it works out cheaper. However, if you then get on a train at Taunton to travel to Cardiff that doesn't stop in Bristol your Bristol to Cardiff ticket is not valid.
    websites like https://www.splitmyfare.co.uk/ (that I mention above) plan the journey as if you were changing at those stations. It's often 15 - 20% cheaper. And we have a railcard.

Went to Glasgow and back a couple of weeks ago, very affordable compared to some of the stories that people have to pay hundreds for tickets.

Correct. The times of each trip and the conditions are pretty clear in that respect - and the ticket inspectors are usually tolerant if you are boarding an alternative train due to disruption.

What a stupidly complicated and expensive railway system we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    websites like https://www.splitmyfare.co.uk/ (that I mention above) plan the journey as if you were changing at those stations. It's often 15 - 20% cheaper. And we have a railcard.

Went to Glasgow and back a couple of weeks ago, very affordable compared to some of the stories that people have to pay hundreds for tickets.
    These train split websites are good, but I tend to use the timings they give and book the same journeys elsewhere to avoid the commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    These train split websites are good, but I tend to use the timings they give and book the same journeys elsewhere to avoid the commission.
    Cross Country is good for no commission. We take each trip on it's own merit. if we pay a few quid for a massive saving in time as well as money then it works for us

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    What a stupidly complicated and expensive railway system we have.
    It is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Good idea! I hadn't thought of that.

I’ve looked into this and seen that the RMT are planning a strike on 19th on Cross-country routes which are the train company from New St to Leicester.
    Time table will be updated on Monday so check then.

Me and my mate have a rail card 2 together ,
    Cost us £37 each rtn , Aber to Brum to Leicester
    Lucky you - trainsplit quote £123 Cardiff - Brum - Leicester