+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Added Time. A Mistake ?

Re: Added Time. A Mistake ?

But time is being added on for things that are not time wasting.

Danny Murphy was discussing it on the Radio and he said last weekend a keeper on the losing team got booked for wasting time. They were 2-0 down. Now that is pathetic. Also, in another game that was 2 or 3 nil, the 6 mins injury time was given a further 3 mins. Seems OTT. Yes crack down on time wasting but don’t add on times for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I reckon so. Last week there were 2 games that went into 112 minutes - that's almost a quarter of a 90 minute game. Only 2 matches had less that 10 minutes. Very soon the 90 minute mark will be meaningless, and players will actually waste more time. Sides will also either waste time or not waste time later on in games depending on how the game is going. Across all games, the extra time was always greeted with cheers/boos and the tension mounted, and the crowd often became vocal for the 1st time in a game. I can see that stopping. Also, people will drift away at 90 minutes. 'I'll hang around for 4 or 5 but not 10 or 12. Bad, bad decision..
    If the players waste time during the 90 minutes or added time it will get added on again. It is illogical that you would think that the new measures would make players waste more time. It is much more likely that they will waste less, as they know they wont get away with it and they certainly wont want to stay out on the pitch any longer than necessary and risk points. As for the fans leaving, I have never understood why fans leave early as why leave half way through added time when their team are winning narrowly and hanging on or losing narrowly and pressing to get level ? Never understood that but the same people will carry on doing it regardless of how much time is left.

Stopping the clock would be awful. Just think how players and teams would use it as a tactic to disrupt the flow of a game.

Why not take 2 minutes over a goal kick? Why not walk around with the ball at a throw in, waiting for that perfect moment to throw it in?

People talk as if the game would be just as it was before, but this is so major it would completely change the way the game is played. It would likely become like American football where the game is broken down into individual plays. There would need to be a second clock to count how much time the team is allowed between plays.

Be careful what you wish for. Everyone complained about no consistency with offsides, and then we got var measuring players armpits. It became consistent and we realised that there was still as many infuriating decisions

If you think stopping the clock will eliminate time wasting you're crazy. It will just breed a different type of it.

The last time everyone said "rugby has got it right" was moving the free kick forward 10 yards for talking back to the referee.

If I remember rightly, it was very quickly scrapped as it was a disaster.

What works in rugby, and why it works, is not necessarily going to translate into football.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_emu View Post
    I don’t really care about rugby but I've always thought football has been lagging behind with their tech. The use of the stop clock, mic'd up refs, TMO (VAR), concussion subs and sin bins. The latter would be quite controversial but I would be open to sin bins being introduced for blatant diving proven by VAR.

Saying that though there is something magic and exciting about the ambiguous injury time if you're last gasp defending or searching for a goal. But maybe its time to move on?

You'll just get teams setting up a play to guarantee they play out the final minute (or longer).

Think of taking the ball into the corner, but the whole team doing it

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The clock should stop when the action does. For once, American Football is more logical in that respect.
    American Football is a game fundamentally based on stopping and starting play and much easier to implement a stop clock. It takes 3 hours for 1 hour of play.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    American Football is a game fundamentally based on stopping and starting play and much easier to implement a stop clock. It takes 3 hours for 1 hour of play.
    Teams will be setting themselves up every time the ball stops. A formation for a goal kick on the left, a formation for a throw-in in your own half near the halfway line. And the clock is off, so players can wander into position.

I can't believe so many people think they want this to happen.

I don't mind it. And it wont stop time wasting, or slowing the game down etc. Teams 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, and who are under some big pressure are still going to waste time in my opinion. It's a natural thing to do in my opinion, the players are going to think the moment, not 10-15 minutes time. They may be tired as well after some extreme defending and chasing, it will still be in their interests to 'take a break' for 30 seconds or so at that given time, and hope that they can recover, gain their composure etc. When you're in the shit, you live the moment. **** what happens in 15 minutes

What really annoys me is not so much the cynical foul, but the cynical going to ground "ooh my head hurts" forcing the ref to stop play, but it's just to break up an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't mind it. And it wont stop time wasting, or slowing the game down etc. Teams 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, and who are under some big pressure are still going to waste time in my opinion. It's a natural thing to do in my opinion, the players are going to think the moment, not 10-15 minutes time. They may be tired as well after some extreme defending and chasing, it will still be in their interests to 'take a break' for 30 seconds or so at that given time, and hope that they can recover, gain their composure etc. When you're in the shit, you live the moment. **** what happens in 15 minutes
    I quite like that chaotic moment when the added time board says 12

The thing that really annoys me over the last couple of years especially, is when goalkeepers make a simple save and then dive on the floor motionless, with the ball tucked under them - it is obviously time wasting and the referees can easily stamp it out by booking them. Sadly, it is now being used in the Women’s World Cup.

International

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    I always believed the reason against stopping the clock which seems the best option to me is that the professional top level game had to be the same as those played at Poncanna, but since there is no VAR or goal line technology at recretional pitches I guess that rational has gone.

For once Rugby has got it right, let the ref just stop the clock
    Yes, it's the best option, to me it would be the 4th official managing the clock from the sidelines, the referee should be too involved in the game although they should be discussing it during the match, so the ref knows what is happening.

International

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Stopping the clock would be awful. Just think how players and teams would use it as a tactic to disrupt the flow of a game.

Why not take 2 minutes over a goal kick? Why not walk around with the ball at a throw in, waiting for that perfect moment to throw it in?

People talk as if the game would be just as it was before, but this is so major it would completely change the way the game is played. It would likely become like American football where the game is broken down into individual plays. There would need to be a second clock to count how much time the team is allowed between plays.

Be careful what you wish for. Everyone complained about no consistency with offsides, and then we got var measuring players armpits. It became consistent and we realised that there was still as many infuriating decisions

If you think stopping the clock will eliminate time wasting you're crazy. It will just breed a different type of it.
    Still book blatant time-wasting, just stop the clock so they can't cheat a few extra minutes away.

The first time a warning then yellow straight away next time, red the next.

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue_emu View Post
    I don’t really care about rugby but I've always thought football has been lagging behind with their tech. The use of the stop clock, mic'd up refs, TMO (VAR), concussion subs and sin bins. The latter would be quite controversial but I would be open to sin bins being introduced for blatant diving proven by VAR.

Saying that though there is something magic and exciting about the ambiguous injury time if you're last gasp defending or searching for a goal. But maybe its time to move on?
    They've been used to help the big teams for years, Fergie time and Mourhino had refs scared too.

If the clocks are stopped they will have to be more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Woosnam View Post
    The thing that really annoys me over the last couple of years especially, is when goalkeepers make a simple save and then dive on the floor motionless, with the ball tucked under them - it is obviously time wasting and the referees can easily stamp it out by booking them. Sadly, it is now being used in the Women’s World Cup.
    I could have misheard or misinterpeted but im sure i heard on radio the other day refs have been given the power this season to clamp down on that and book the keeper for time wasting.

Teams will be setting themselves up every time the ball stops. A formation for a goal kick on the left, a formation for a throw-in in your own half near the halfway line. And the clock is off, so players can wander into position.

Football is far too fast paced to play on a stop clock imo. Refs just need to be given more power to clamp down on blatant time wasting.

A good start would be clamping down on the 6 second rule wirh GKs. Giving a few indirect free kicks early in the season which leads to goals conceded will soon sort that out.

The only argument I could make for stopping a clock in football is when the game has stopped for VAR or when a goal is scored. stopping it every time the ball goes out of play ie throw, goalkick, corner is not practical.

I think we’ll see the amount of added time being reduced as the season goes on. After teams concede in the 90+12th minute they’ll catch on that the tactics they’ve been using for years/decades to waste time aren’t effective any more.

I could be wrong, but I feel like in the World Cup the added time seemed to get less silly as the tournament progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I think we’ll see the amount of added time being reduced as the season goes on. After teams concede in the 90+12th minute they’ll catch on that the tactics they’ve been using for years/decades to waste time aren’t effective any more.

I could be wrong, but I feel like in the World Cup the added time seemed to get less silly as the tournament progressed.
    I'm not so sure. Suppose it's a bit psychological as well. I can only imagine, but say we were a goal up at Southampton. 20 minutes to go, under immense pressure. Players getting tired, pulled about the pitch etc. I'm sure that when the opportunity arose, then the body and brain are going to take a little breather, even if it just slows the game, slows down momentum etc. A feeling of we're in a good position (1-0 up) lets prolong it and hold onto it by any means necessary, and deal with what's coming (Added time) when it comes. A sort of Buy now, Pay later approach

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm not so sure. Suppose it's a bit psychological as well. I can only imagine, but say we were a goal up at Southampton. 20 minutes to go, under immense pressure. Players getting tired, pulled about the pitch etc. I'm sure that when the opportunity arose, then the body and brain are going to take a little breather, even if it just slows the game, slows down momentum etc. A feeling of we're in a good position (1-0 up) lets prolong it and hold onto it by any means necessary, and deal with what's coming (Added time) when it comes. A sort of Buy now, Pay later approach
    I’m sure we’ll still see players grabbing a quick breather and a moment of rest, but previous time wasting tactics like keepers taking a minute for a goal kick or players slowly ambling off when they’re subbed will (hopefully) be reduced.

Exactly. They're not punishing or stopping timewasting, just saying 'waste as much time as you want because we'll just add it on at the end. It will actually increase time wasting. Do people really think professional footballers are now going to take throw ins and free kicks and corners more quickly ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Exactly. They're not punishing or stopping timewasting, just saying 'waste as much time as you want because we'll just add it on at the end. It will actually increase time wasting. Do people really think professional footballers are now going to take throw ins and free kicks and corners more quickly ?
    No, it's both, they can still book players for constantly stopping play, and they'll add the time on at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Football is far too fast paced to play on a stop clock imo. Refs just need to be given more power to clamp down on blatant time wasting.

A good start would be clamping down on the 6 second rule wirh GKs. Giving a few indirect free kicks early in the season which leads to goals conceded will soon sort that out.

The only argument I could make for stopping a clock in football is when the game has stopped for VAR or when a goal is scored. stopping it every time the ball goes out of play ie throw, goalkick, corner is not practical.
    That is basically what I meant

Normal game incidents - goes into added time bank with greater focus on punishing players who slow it

Abnormal - subs, var, goal celebrations clock stops

'they will take longer if you stop the clock' is true but then, you just set a reasonable time and punish the team who goes over.

Var pisses me off too, if it takes 4 minutes to identify a 'clear and obvious' mistake then it wasn't clear and obvious. Goal scored, clock stops, 90 second counter for var to find clear and obvious mistake, if they are still fumbling around after 90 seconds, goal stands. Move on. You will have the people who say we need to 'reach the right decision' but a) quite often after var, the result looks subjective and not consistent and b) why not apply it across the whole game if you want decisions to be correct.

As far as the stopping the clock is concerned it's for injuries, goals scored, general incidents.
    There isn't much of an issue with the ball taking too long from a throw, the keeper taking too long, etc. etc. They get booked.