+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Re: Cardiff, how nice is our City ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It annoys me

Hopefully it will be blitzed in my lifetime
    Dear Sludge, you're not a Cardiff boy, please stop trying to monopolise a thread on Cardiff and stick to your village which is the Tory heartland of South Wales.
    Leave it to us Ely, Cathays and Splott gentry to discuss the merits of Cardiff TOBW is fine I think he's a fairwater lad before he absconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Dear Sludge, you're not a Cardiff boy, please stop trying to monopolise a thread on Cardiff and stick to your village which is the Tory heartland of South Wales.
    Leave it to us Ely, Cathays and Splott gentry to discuss the merits of Cardiff TOBW is fine I think he's a fairwater lad before he absconded.
    Up yours

Is Bristol a more elegant city than Cardiff ?

Over to you

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    It’s part one of a much larger development which includes knocking down the Motorpoint, the building where the Traders Tavern is and developing the surface car park behind the Motorpoint. Additionally the roads in and around that area will be rerouted and more of the canal will be uncovered up to Guildford Crescent.

https://cardiff.moderngov.co.uk/mgCo....aspx?ID=48501

That’s the concepts for the full development.
    So the initial strip of water we can see is just phase one and more of the feeder canal in the city centre will be exposed and brought into use ?

Cheers kev

Up yours

Is Bristol a more elegant city than Cardiff ?

Over to you
    Obviously a bigger City and more spread out, better for music but not really more elegant, nice attractions a plenty, the gateway to Devon and Cornwall and near enough the the UK's only Koala family now that Edinburgh zoo has lost theirs, if I was never brought home to Wales I would guess that I would have been Rovers.

Obviously a bigger City and more spread out, better for music but not really more elegant, nice attractions a plenty, the gateway to Devon and Cornwall and near enough the the UK's only Koala family now that Edinburgh zoo has lost theirs, if I was never brought home to Wales I would guess that I would have been Rovers.
    It's only about 80 k bigger

I like the Docks and floating harbour

better food scene
    better for music
    better architecture/ more historic buildings

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    better food scene
    better for music
    Statues of slave traders floating in the Docks

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    better food scene
    better for music
    I prefer Cardiff to Bristol, but both cities have their merits and it depends what you want and whether you are visiting or living there.

It is though hard to disagree with the analysis above. Bristol also has other strengths

More centrally located
    Much stronger economy
    Vastly better airport and road network
    Greater diversity of areas. Cardiff City centre is great fun but Bristol has more different types of nights out and destinations

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I prefer Cardiff to Bristol, but both cities have their merits and it depends what you want and whether you are visiting or living there.

It is though hard to disagree with the analysis above. Bristol also has other strengths

More centrally located
    Much stronger economy
    Vastly better airport and road network
    Greater diversity of areas. Cardiff City centre is great fun but Bristol has more different types of nights out and destinations
    Bristol is a very left wing City and has more bohemian type areas

Cardiff is very conservative and the locals don't seem to be up for much in the way of protest

It's very odd

Bristol is a very left wing City and has more bohemian type areas

Cardiff is very conservative and the locals don't seem to be up for much in the way of protest

It's very odd
    Not really a surprise I don't think. Most protests in recent times are driven by middle class interests and Bristol is a more middle class city in almost every respect.

That said, it's a very divided city too. The outer areas are (and feel) very different to inner city Bristol.

Grangetown originally, but living the first sixty two years of my life in the city qualifies me to contribute to this thread I reckon.

Not really a surprise I don't think. Most protests in recent times are driven by middle class interests and Bristol is a more middle class city in almost every respect.

That said, it's a very divided city too. The outer areas are (and feel) very different to inner city Bristol.
    Bristol has quite a few alternative areas and has lots of co operatives

I can't think of any in Cardiff

Yep, none really. Pontcanna perhaps to an extent, Grangetown maybe, City Road..a little. And we have some nice suburbs that are all different but there aren't different kinds of nights out or cultural experiences in Cardiff like there are in Bristol, unfortunately.

Cowbridge Road, Splott, City Rd etc could all be buzzing and destinations in their own right for music, dancing etc. But they just aren't really.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Grangetown originally, but living the first sixty two years of my life in the city qualifies me to contribute to this thread I reckon.
    I keep threatening to sell up and move out of Cardiff but the longer I leave it the less likely this will happen, I'd like to go to Creigiau or Pentrych but my Doris grew up in a village and hated it, consequently she is not having it, thinking it would be like when she was young being isolated, I'm trying to get her to realise that it isn't like that anymore but it's a loosing battle!!!!

Yep, none really. Pontcanna perhaps to an extent, Grangetown maybe, City Road..a little. And we have some nice suburbs that are all different but there aren't different kinds of nights out or cultural experiences in Cardiff like there are in Bristol, unfortunately.

Cowbridge Road, Splott, City Rd etc could all be buzzing and destinations in their own right for music, dancing etc. But they just aren't really.
    Roath is a bit bohemian, Clifton Street I suppose

Trying to make Cardiff into Bristol isn’t going to happen. Bristol and Cardiff aren’t comparable and have vastly different histories which have contributed to different cultural, social, political, etc communities forming. You can try force things like a bohemian scene, a curry mile or a musical culture but without a legitimate community to prop it up it would just end up tacky and fake. Like an Irish Pub in America with leprechauns on the wall and painted bright green.

Cardiff was practically a village in the early 1800’s with little to no significance. It was the success of the docks in the mid 1800’s and rapid increase in jobs and people that shaped Cardiff into what it is today.

Bristol on the other hand has been a major city in England for centuries and a fairly prosperous one. Ships were sailing from Bristol to America ~300 years before ships left Cardiff with coal.

BBC News - E-bike: Delivery rider beaten unconscious in knifepoint bike theft
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66479325

Lovely City

Poor old splott parker and his wife were robbed too yesterday

Thread on main page

Trying to make Cardiff into Bristol isn’t going to happen. Bristol and Cardiff aren’t comparable and have vastly different histories which have contributed to different cultural, social, political, etc communities forming. You can try force things like a bohemian scene, a curry mile or a musical culture but without a legitimate community to prop it up it would just end up tacky and fake. Like an Irish Pub in America with leprechauns on the wall and painted bright green.

Cardiff was practically a village in the early 1800’s with little to no significance. It was the success of the docks in the mid 1800’s and rapid increase in jobs and people that shaped Cardiff into what it is today.

Bristol on the other hand has been a major city in England for centuries and a fairly prosperous one. Ships were sailing from Bristol to America ~300 years before ships left Cardiff with coal.
    The curry mile that exists in some cities could easily be developed in Cardiff its not a case of social engineering

Musically Bristol just has more venues of small to medium size

I have no idea why Bristol has a left of centre alternative scene but it does

Gloucester Road , Stokes Croft etc

Crusties , Vegetarian Cafes , etc

Has Bristols past shaped these areas ?

I don't think so , it just happens

Politically it's a far more radical city than Cardiff , 4 labour MPs and has been that way for some time

Cardiff North may as well be in Surrey its been tory that often

Even Cardiff West went Tory under Thatcher . Can't see that sort of thing in Bristols working class areas .

Cardiff just doesn't seem to be very alternative , radical and in some ways liberal ?

It seems conservative , with a small c

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_underground_scene

The curry mile that exists in some cities could easily be developed in Cardiff its not a case of social engineering

Politically it's a far more radical city than Cardiff , 4 labour MPs and has been that way for some time

Even Cardiff West went Tory under Thatcher . Can't see that sort of thing in Bristols working class areas .

Cardiff just doesn't seem to be very alternative , radical and in some ways liberal ?

So in short Cardiff is a very different city to Bristol

An enlightened analysis Kev and spot on

Never lived in such a divided city as Bristol, it’s as if the rich of Clifton, Redlands, cotham etc look down over the poor in the rest of the city….I recall some posh hippies buying up some land in st werburghs in about 2002, it all fell apart pretty quick fir the 30 or so who were building on that plot. There is another level of wealth in Bristol that doesn’t exist in Wales.

Is there something in stokes croft these days? I used to live on Cheltenham rd and walked up there most days, full of homeless people, hostels, abandoned buildings and drugs 20 years ago….only Lakota was worthy of a visit and that spent more time closed than open.

I thought this was a thread about Cardiff as a city and how nice it is, not a thread about trying to do a like for like comparison with somewhere with 300+ more years history.

So in short Cardiff is a very different city to Bristol
    How does being different mean that having a chilled out bohemian district isn't possible ?

Did that sort of vibe and alternative lifestyle and liberalism begin in 1830 ?

Plymouth has the St Judes District which is alternative in its own way

The street art , urban music scene and left of centre politics started in the nineties

Not 1890 !