+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welsh Premier

Re: Welsh Premier

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    I remember even bigger nights at Merthyr - beating Atalanta 2-1.
    I attended that game. Great night for the club and town in general.

I spent the first 15 minutes staring at the Atalanta Ultras mind.

Glenn Stromberg starring for Atalanta.

I think the Cymru Premier should change to a summer season. Most of the Welsh clubs seem to play teams in qualifying who are part way through their season, but have hardly played any meaningful friendlies in preparation. I know this has been suggested previously but I think it's the only way forward if Welsh sides are going to get further in European competitions. Ireland switched some years ago and Shamrock Rovers qualified for the group stages of the Europa Conference League last season. Now it looks like a team from the Faroe Islands with get to the group stages this season

I am a director at Aberystwyth Town FC so know a lot about the WPL and wage bills.
    I know that two clubs that finished in the bottom half of the league last season pay between £8000-£10000 per week on wages for players so are looking around £475000 per season plus then you have managers/coaches wages to pay.
    I’m big mates with TNS chairman Mike H and due to their success and qualifying for Europe every year they are nearly self funding these days due to the money gained from playing in Champ lge qualification rounds.
    I believe Merthyr would benefit from playing in WPL and certainly make more money if they finish in the top 3.