+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Women’s World Cup

Re: Women’s World Cup

Only saw bits of the tournament due to the ko times but it is true that once you get used to the pace of the game it can be entertaining.

You don't even have to compare men to women, it is exactly the same if you walk over to your local park and watch a game whether it be girls boys women or men.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    That was great to watch, some really intelligent play.

The player taking the corner kicks for England - her delivery was fantastic! How many times do we see a City corner kick not clear the first defender, or worse still...go straight out of play!
    The difference is that the women are rarely commanding in the air, often not very tall at all, and any ball "put into the mixer" is nearly always going to favour the offensive team.

As has been said, it is difficult to compare the men with the women.

On Saturday our corners on many occasions were stood up, meat and drink for Begovic (was it?)

The English women seem to have a lot more grit and bottle than their male counterparts. Also, you don’t see the women rolling about the floor after a feisty challenge

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Absolutely
    You missed Lauren James snidey Shearer like stamp on the Nigerian player then lads?

There's some beauts on here who have lapped up all the Lionessess hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You missed Lauren James snidey Shearer like stamp on the Nigerian player then lads?

There's some beauts on here who have lapped up all the Lionessess hype.
    In fairness the Nigerian player didn't roll around in agony, they just gave the ref a look like - "are you seeing this shit?"

Imagine someone had done that to Neymar, he'd still be writhing in agony now

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The difference is that the women are rarely commanding in the air, often not very tall at all, and any ball "put into the mixer" is nearly always going to favour the offensive team.

As has been said, it is difficult to compare the men with the women.

On Saturday our corners on many occasions were stood up, meat and drink for Begovic (was it?)
    You make a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    In fairness the Nigerian player didn't roll around in agony, they just gave the ref a look like - "are you seeing this shit?"

Imagine someone had done that to Neymar, he'd still be writhing in agony now
    I think the point of some are how 'good' the Lionessess team are in relation to behaviour?

Nigerian players always seem robust to me?

Neymar is a big fanny.

Sam Kerr was quality . Like a female Harry Kane , good at everything specially scoring goals.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond View Post
    That's fair enough. It certainly doesn't have the quality of men's football. But, men's football has had over a hundred years to improve and establish itself.

I am in Brisbane and I can tell you that the view from over here is somewhat different. Australian football has always had an uphill battle due to Aussie rules, rugby league, cricket, etc.

A sellout crowd in a big stadium, millions watching on tv, for WOMEN. I think it's pretty impressive.

I have watched this tournament and have enjoyed it immensely. I understand it isn't up to the standards of the premier league and watch it with that in mind. The same as when I have watched non-league football and kid's football.

It isn't for everyone admittedly, but millions of Aussies are loving it. And I am sure tens of millions worldwide are loving it. There have been some brilliant goals and some real howlers, too. That's football.
    "I understand it isn't up to the standards of the premier league".

Premier League, Cardiff Plumbers League more like

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    that was exciting, entertaining, skilful and a good watch. a great coach and super atmosphere. I wonder what would happen if they played us right now?
    We'd beat them ten nil maybe fifteen.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Absolutely, I do wonder how far down you would have to go to where the technical ability of some of the players could level out the sheer physical edge the men's game has.

It's making massive strides forward though, even some of the smaller countries look to have come on so much.

The glaring problem is the goalkeeping, you can't really fix that unless you have a load more women who are 6ft2+, athletic into football. The numbers just aren't there. You could make the goals smaller but for me it adds to the entertainment as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I think the point of some are how 'good' the Lionessess team are in relation to behaviour?

Nigerian players always seem robust to me?

Neymar is a big fanny.
    There will always be those that cheat or commit awful fouls. I don't think there's any argument against that on the whole it being a lot cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    There will always be those that cheat or commit awful fouls. I don't think there's any argument against that on the whole it being a lot cleaner.
    I'll give the Women's game some credit. There was a Sheffield United player who got banned for racism towards another player. Sheffield United terminated their contract.

Now if that was the Men's game, the player would've been lauded by the clubs supporters, the same supporters would abuse the victim of the racism, the team mates and manager of the racist would sport t shirts in support of the racist and months later the racist player would refuse to shake hands with his victim.

Step forward Liverpool FC.

Not if it was played at Cardiff City Stadium - we couldn’t beat eleven traffic cones there.

Was a very good game of football today with some excellent goals.

I first watched a women's game in 2012 at the Olympics in the millennium stadium when GB played New Zealand. Thankfully it was a hot day and I was sat in the sun cos the quality was noticeably poor and the crowd was-from recollection-around 25000.

Fast forward to the Euros last year and now this world cup and it's an entirely different ballgame. It isn't comparable to the men's game money wise but the crowds are real, as is the genuine enthusiasm (if not life and death passion) and the quality vastly improved.

I've had limited interest but it is well worth watching some

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not if it was played at Cardiff City Stadium - we couldn’t beat eleven traffic cones there.

That Sam Kerr goal though

"I understand it isn't up to the standards of the premier league".

Premier League, Cardiff Plumbers League more like
    Sneering at top class women athletes who are roll models for young girls and women. Wouldn’t like to be a female member of your family.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Sneering at top class women athletes who are roll models for young girls and women. Wouldn’t like to be a female member of your family.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I watched Barcelona V´s Chelsea champions league semi-final last season, after about 30 minutes of Barcelona knocking it around, pinging 40 yarders and landing it on sixpence, movement off the ball, i just started laughing as I thought, jesus, this team would wipe the floor with us.

I don't think it's helpful or realistic to compare men's and women's football. It's similar to when Serena Williams was asked about men v women in tennis and she said they are effectively different games. I think the same with football - I enjoy watching both for different reasons. Yes, sometimes non elite level women's football suffers from a shallow pool of talent but hopefully the exploits of the England team can encourage more and more girls to play and continue playing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I don't think it's helpful or realistic to compare men's and women's football. It's similar to when Serena Williams was asked about men v women in tennis and she said they are effectively different games. I think the same with football - I enjoy watching both for different reasons. Yes, sometimes non elite level women's football suffers from a shallow pool of talent but hopefully the exploits of the England team can encourage more and more girls to play and continue playing.
    I agree that they are very different (I didn’t know about Serena Williams’ comment) and so can be enjoyed by different audiences in different ways.

And yet inevitably the media treat men and women’s football the same way, which irritates me.

(how many of us have scrolled down a web page or news app and clicked on a football story only to find that it is about women’s football, and not men’s?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    And yet inevitably the media treat men and women’s football the same way, which irritates me.
    Why does it irritate you? And how do you think things should be done differently? For instance, do you maybe believe womens football should be featured on different web pages on sites like the BBC's despite the fact that it's football and is therefore on the BBC's football web pages? I'm genuinely curious as to what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I agree that they are very different (I didn’t know about Serena Williams’ comment) and so can be enjoyed by different audiences in different ways.

(how many of us have scrolled down a web page or news app and clicked on a football story only to find that it is about women’s football, and not men’s?)
    You win the sexist pig of the year award, well done you.

With a 11.00am KO, it’s not leaving them much time to get home and cook the Sunday roast