+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trust meeting with Dalman

Trust meeting with Dalman

View Website Click here to unsubscribe *
    Meeting with Mehmet Dalman 12 August 2023

Dear Member,*

As I promised, here is a note of the meeting that took place prior to the QPR game between Mehmet Dalman and representatives of Fan groups*

Attending from the club were Mehmet Dalman (Chair), Ken Choo (Chief Executive), Phillip Jenkins (Finance Director), Wayne Nash (Director of Operations), Amy James (Head of Fan Experience), Mark Denham ( Head of Communications), Paul Corkrey (Supporters Liaison Officer).**

Members of the Supporters Trust, Supporters Club, Disabled Supporters Group and Travel Group were also present.*

Mehmet Dalman welcomed everyone to the meeting and stated his intention to hold**more informal meetings to improve links**with fans over and above the formal meetings that already take place.*

A broad range of issues were discussed**in a very informal and positive atmosphere. It was agreed by all that the season was commencing in a very positive light and everyone was looking forward to the new league campaign.*

The issue of new signings was raised. MD was hoping that 2 further signings, one permanent one loan, would be made before the window closes.**There would also be further players being loaned out. He also paid tribute to the vision and efforts of Steve Borley in the recruitment of Aaron Ramsey.*

MD stated that the litigation with Nantes and the Club's Insurers is continuing.*

The question was raised concerning the projected financial position for the current season. Phillip Jenkins stated that the expectation was that the club would trade within the permitted limits of Profit and Sustainability. He reminded the meeting that the payment in full of the Emiliano Sala transfer was covered by the provision made in the balance sheet in the 2018/19 accounts. He also mentioned that the financial position of the club would be under close scrutiny by the EFL to ensure our compliance.*

Phillip Jenkins stated that current season ticket sales were 14,200, a position that the club was very pleased with given the poor season we had last year.*

Wayne Nash outlined the club's approach to a Fan Advisory Board which is one of the recommendations of the Fans Led Review of Football. He referred to consultations he had had with Supporters Groups and stated that he envisaged a Fan Advisory Board meeting 4 times per year. There will need to be further discussions to move this issue forward. Wayne also stated that there would be**a twice yearly Fans Parliament open to a wider group of fans as well as**the usual Supporter Liaison meetings.*

Ken Choo emphasised the club's continuing commitment to producing a programme. He mentioned that they would be looking to utilise more recycled paper in its production which is in line with the Club's pursuance of the EFL Green Clubs Scheme.*

Keith Morgan*

Chair*

Cardiff City FC Supporters Trust

Re: Trust meeting with Dalman

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post

Dear Member,*

As I promised, here is a note of the meeting that took place prior to the QPR game between Mehmet Dalman and representatives of Fan groups*

Attending from the club were Mehmet Dalman (Chair), Ken Choo (Chief Executive), Phillip Jenkins (Finance Director), Wayne Nash (Director of Operations), Amy James (Head of Fan Experience), Mark Denham ( Head of Communications), Paul Corkrey (Supporters Liaison Officer).**

Members of the Supporters Trust, Supporters Club, Disabled Supporters Group and Travel Group were also present.*

Mehmet Dalman welcomed everyone to the meeting and stated his intention to hold**more informal meetings to improve links**with fans over and above the formal meetings that already take place.*

A broad range of issues were discussed**in a very informal and positive atmosphere. It was agreed by all that the season was commencing in a very positive light and everyone was looking forward to the new league campaign.*

The issue of new signings was raised. MD was hoping that 2 further signings, one permanent one loan, would be made before the window closes.**There would also be further players being loaned out. He also paid tribute to the vision and efforts of Steve Borley in the recruitment of Aaron Ramsey.*

MD stated that the litigation with Nantes and the Club's Insurers is continuing.*

The question was raised concerning the projected financial position for the current season. Phillip Jenkins stated that the expectation was that the club would trade within the permitted limits of Profit and Sustainability. He reminded the meeting that the payment in full of the Emiliano Sala transfer was covered by the provision made in the balance sheet in the 2018/19 accounts. He also mentioned that the financial position of the club would be under close scrutiny by the EFL to ensure our compliance.*

Phillip Jenkins stated that current season ticket sales were 14,200, a position that the club was very pleased with given the poor season we had last year.*

Wayne Nash outlined the club's approach to a Fan Advisory Board which is one of the recommendations of the Fans Led Review of Football. He referred to consultations he had had with Supporters Groups and stated that he envisaged a Fan Advisory Board meeting 4 times per year. There will need to be further discussions to move this issue forward. Wayne also stated that there would be**a twice yearly Fans Parliament open to a wider group of fans as well as**the usual Supporter Liaison meetings.*

Ken Choo emphasised the club's continuing commitment to producing a programme. He mentioned that they would be looking to utilise more recycled paper in its production which is in line with the Club's pursuance of the EFL Green Clubs Scheme.*

Keith Morgan*

Chair*

Re the finances 2 of the teams that went down last season had points deductions. Not getting any points deducted is absolutely crucial if we are to escape relegation this season. I am sure others will face points deductions as seems to be a regular occurence now.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Manager says three new players this week

Does he know something Dalman doesn’t or vice versa

"Vincent Tan has just paid £18million out of his own pocket to settle the Emiliano Sala transfer "

?? I thought this was accounted for in City's own finances.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    "Vincent Tan has just paid £18million out of his own pocket to settle the Emiliano Sala transfer "

They made an accrual for the £18m in the financial statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    But there was no bag of money labelled 'For Nantes' sitting in the Cardiff City FC safe.

Making provision in the accounts 4 years ago ensured that there would be no breach of FFP rules. Tan still had to find the money when it was time (or past time!) to pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    But there was no bag of money labelled 'For Nantes' sitting in the Cardiff City FC safe.

Making provision in the accounts 4 years ago ensured that there would be no breach of FFP rules. Tan still had to find the money when it was time (or past time!) to pay up.
    Indeed. It might have been wise to pay the fee when it was actually due as opposed to using the money to pay an endless stream of lawyers and giving Warnock large chunks of it to spunk away on expensive rubbish, but what’s done is done.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Indeed. It might have been wise to pay the fee when it was actually due as opposed to using the money to pay an endless stream of lawyers and giving Warnock large chunks of it to spunk away on expensive rubbish, but what’s done is done.
    The next series of the Cardiff City Docusoap will be about lawyers seeking their payment, be another three or so years of intrigue and fiasco

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The next series of the Cardiff City Docusoap will be about lawyers seeking their payment, be another three or so years of intrigue and fiasco
    Maybe they were no win no fee?

For the club I hope so as we won't have to pay a penny then. We've lost every one haven't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

For the club I hope so as we won't have to pay a penny then. We've lost every one haven't we?
    Cardiff City Lawyers better start wishing lawyers of other Championship clubs get a few points deductions.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

We won the cases against Hammam and Isaacs.

Dalman seems a fairly smooth operator

He's a bit scatterbox but I can think of far worse owners than him in football

Wasn’t it £15 million? Thought we’d paid £6 million already…..

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Indeed, Vincent Tan springs to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

At least Dalman is prepared to reach out to the fanbase. He calls meetings with fans reps and is instituting the Fans Parliament for the wider fanbase. Tan, to my knowledge, has visited the UK twice recently-in October 2022 when he met Rob Phillips and Abbo only in Cardiff and more recently he was part of the Malaysian delegation to the Queens funeral, he didn’t meet fans then either.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    At least Dalman is prepared to reach out to the fanbase. He calls meetings with fans reps and is instituting the Fans Parliament for the wider fanbase. Tan, to my knowledge, has visited the UK twice recently-in October 2022 when he met Rob Phillips and Abbo only in Cardiff and more recently he was part of the Malaysian delegation to the Queens funeral, he didn’t meet fans then either.
    it would be interesting to know just exactly what Tan feels (if anything) towards the club? Is owning a football club like Bling for the super rich? A fashion item that you lose interest in? clearly he won't starve if we play rubbish football so just what is his motivation for continued ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    it would be interesting to know just exactly what Tan feels (if anything) towards the club? Is owning a football club like Bling for the super rich? A fashion item that you lose interest in? clearly he won't starve if we play rubbish football so just what is his motivation for continued ownership?
    Following our relegation from the Premier League and the worldwide exposure that went along with it, I have always been totally baffled as to what is still in it for Tan. The hope that the streets of Kuala Lumpur would be thronged with local football fans wearing red shirts adorned with the fag packet Cardiff City dragon and raising him aloft has long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post

Dear Member,*

Keith Morgan*

Chair*

Just to stress that this was a meeting attended by other supporter groups as well as the Trust. We try and get our reports out to our members as soon as practicable but I have no idea if or when others present report back to the fans they represent.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Following our relegation from the Premier League and the worldwide exposure that went along with it, I have always been totally baffled as to what is still in it for Tan. The hope that the streets of Kuala Lumpur would be thronged with local football fans wearing red shirts adorned with the fag packet Cardiff City dragon and raising him aloft has long gone.
    so let's not be surprised when he bins his toys and starts playing with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post

It’s probably become a nightmare of his own making. His failure to employ anyone with football expertise at board level and his listening to the siren voice of Warnock instead of trusting his Transfer Committee over the Sala Transfer have probably been the 2 biggest mistakes in his ownership. We have to be grateful to Tan that he is still footing the bill however, I think that, if we went into administration that would be a huge loss of face for him so I don’t think he would let that happen. It is interesting that Dalman is publicly speculating about the value of the club and how it would increase if we were top 10. Might that be the time when Tan cuts his losses and gets the best deal he can ? He certainly won’t be getting all of his money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    It’s probably become a nightmare of his own making. His failure to employ anyone with football expertise at board level and his listening to the siren voice of Warnock instead of trusting his Transfer Committee over the Sala Transfer have probably been the 2 biggest mistakes in his ownership. We have to be grateful to Tan that he is still footing the bill however, I think that, if we went into administration that would be a huge loss of face for him so I don’t think he would let that happen. It is interesting that Dalman is publicly speculating about the value of the club and how it would increase if we were top 10. Might that be the time when Tan cuts his losses and gets the best deal he can ? He certainly won’t be getting all of his money back.
    To be fair to Tan , I’d say 90% of football club owners outside of the Premiership make huge financial losses ( and in the Premier League about 70% ) , so I think to simply think Tan is the only financial backer in this position is wide of the mark.

The only owner who appears to have made a big profit is Sam Hammam which speaks volumes, although there are probably a few others as well.

To be fair to Tan , I’d say 90% of football club owners outside of the Premiership make huge financial losses ( and in the Premier League about 70% ) , so I think to simply think Tan is the only financial backer in this position is wide of the mark.

The only owner who appears to have made a big profit is Sam Hammam which speaks volumes, although there are probably a few others as well.
    I agree with what you say about owners making losses outside the PL. I don’t think he is unique in this and did not say so.

What profit did he make and how?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What profit did he make and how?
    I guess he made a profit from Wimbledon by selling their ground to build a Safeway

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I guess he made a profit from Wimbledon by selling their ground to build a Safeway
    Yes that’s what I was referring to , Wimbledon were left homeless with the deal he negotiated with Merton Borough.

I’m not sure if he made much of a profit with the sale of Cardiff City, but the fact that he sold it for 8 times as much sounds like good business.