+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tearing what’s left of my hair out here!

Re: Tearing what’s left of my hair out here!

That looks like a standard optical cable and port - as others have said, it will only go in one way as it’s an unusual shape with a line. It’s not usually a firm “click” like other connections and doesn’t need to be pushed in very far to connect. Is it possible that it’s inserted fine but you’re trying to push it in further than needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
    That looks like a standard optical cable and port - as others have said, it will only go in one way as it’s an unusual shape with a line. It’s not usually a firm “click” like other connections and doesn’t need to be pushed in very far to connect. Is it possible that it’s inserted fine but you’re trying to push it in further than needed?
    That thought did occur to me once or twice, but I’ve not felt anything remotely like a click yet and the cable would be dropping out with the smallest of vibrations if it was supposed to be like it is when I try to connect it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That thought did occur to me once or twice, but I’ve not felt anything remotely like a click yet and the cable would be dropping out with the smallest of vibrations if it was supposed to be like it is when I try to connect it.
    you should feel it click. They sometimes need a reasonable amount of pressure to click them in to place but make sure it is in the right orientation before pushing it in a bit harder.

Oh, another question, did the other end click into the TV OK?

can you swap the ends of the cable around. If both click into the TV OK and neither click into the sound bar then maybe it's a fault on the soundbar port.

The picture of the optical port makes it look hollow as if the innards have been pushed in

Optical port on soundbar looks damaged to me but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Have you tried switching it on, then switching it off, then switching it on again that’s the limit of my technical knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    My old man used to bang the top of the telly with his fist, always cured the horizontal hold.

My old man used to bang the top of the telly with his fist, always cured the horizontal hold.
    That took me back a few years...

And some poor sod had to stand out in the kitchen waving the aerial around while the rest of the family shouted to them when there was a decent picture

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Oh, another question, did the other end click into the TV OK?

can you swap the ends of the cable around. If both click into the TV OK and neither click into the sound bar then maybe it's a fault on the soundbar port.
    Yes, I did that this afternoon, so I’ve had the red light on now with both ends of the cable, so the problems not there. I still couldn’t get it to connect with sound bar using the other end of the cable, so it does look like it’s a problem with the optical port.

And some poor sod had to stand out in the kitchen waving the aerial around while the rest of the family shouted to them when there was a decent picture
    True, but they didn't have to worry about the state of their optical port. Always a silver lining eh?

Did anyone else have 2 aerials - one pointing at the Mendips transmitter, the other picking up the Welsh channels. The better picture was always from the English transmitter so had a switch to select the Welsh transmitter for the news.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Did anyone else have 2 aerials - one pointing at the Mendips transmitter, the other picking up the Welsh channels. The better picture was always from the English transmitter so had a switch to select the Welsh transmitter for the news.
    Points West with Bruce fecking Hockin!!!! Or a grainy Wales Today with someone like Vincent Kane’s image going up, going down, lines across the screen and eventually an ‘Ah, f*ck it, let’s see John Galley’s goals from the weekend’.

Points West with Bruce fecking Hockin!!!! Or a grainy Wales Today with someone like Vincent Kane’s image going up, going down, lines across the screen and eventually an ‘Ah, f*ck it, let’s see John Galley’s goals from the weekend’.
    Brian Hoey was the first Wales Today presenter I can remember and there was David Stradey Jones doing the rugby, but it was nearly always Bruce fecking Hockin in our house - he must have presented Points West for about fifty years

Alan Taylor. Mr & Mrs.

Didn't he used to live in Wenvoe?

Alan Taylor. Mr & Mrs.

You must be too young to remember Tinker and Taylor - you didn’t miss much

yes we did and my gran did too, I think we ran both aerials down the same cable though

we did have one socket of each on the windowsill you would have to plug the lead into either one to watch wales or england

Alan Taylor. Mr & Mrs.

He also lived in Cathays at one point. Just around the corner from where I lived for a short while.

I remember AlanTaylor starting a new kids programme Orbit on a Saturday morning. It must have been the start of Saturday morning kids programmes ,a good few years before Swap Shop and Tiswas.