Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
Exactly.

VAR came in because pundits were lazy, and instead of analysing a game went straight to the referee decisions every time.

"Alan, let's clear up the red card/penalty/offside first. Did the ref get it right?"

We all wanted consistency, apparently. But now we want common sense, apparently.

The thing that needed to change most, but never did, is that pundits are still lazy. They go straight for the easy target.

Games aren't won or lost on a single ref decision. Football isn't that finely balanced. Player mistakes (defensive or attacking) are still the biggest cause of goals going in or not, not whether the ref spotted or missed a single handball.
Well said. Where did it all go wrong.... I understand that Football is now big business, loads more exposure and all that. corrupt murderous regimes pumping their cash in etc. But for us, it's about entertainment, it's about the emotions and all that stuff, the talk in the pub or the car on the way home. When did it get so bloody serious (for fans) We've got Gary Neville participating in heated debate with some of the most clueless reactionary football supporters i've ever witnessed, people on the net and radio phone ins talking about a loss in the same way they'd portray the family puppy getting flattened by a rogue steam roller. These idiots are given way to much air time, and like you say, the pundits fuel it, they push buttons and get fans all irate etc. I wish Simon jordan would just piss off!

I don't blame the authorities for bringing in Var, the amount of shit referees were getting (and still are) it never used to be like this. Football fans seem to be so much more entitled these days.