+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you're against this proposal, then below is the link to the Change website, where you can register your disapproval. Not sure it will make any difference, but every little helps. Go to the site, complete as required, and log your protest.
    https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-we...-wales-by-2023

Re: Petition against 20mph blanket speed limit

Was in Benidorm Mon-Fri just gone, 20kph zones all over, main roads through the town as well. It’s not a local scheme by any means.

20kph is 12.4 mph tho

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    20kph is 12.4 mph tho
    That’s what it was, the transfer coach crawled along once we got off the motorway from Alicante.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Was in Benidorm Mon-Fri just gone, 20kph zones all over, main roads through the town as well. It’s not a local scheme by any means.
    I'm in Alicante as we speak, no sign of anyone slowing down to 32.187 kilometres per hour

Thought this was something to do with Aladdin.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'm in Alicante as we speak, no sign of anyone slowing down to 32.187 kilometres per hour
    Nip into Benidorm. 20 signs everywhere.

Just read on a ‘Benidorm site’, 60 traffic cameras gone up recently as well, with fines ranging from €100 to €600 depending on how much over you’re going.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Nip into Benidorm. 20 signs everywhere.
    I am tomorrow on the brilliant Tram service ( L4) from Alicante, presume you mean 32.187 KPH.

Not seen any speed restrictions in neighbouring resorts like Torrevieja, Teulada-Moraira, Javea, Calpe, Altea, Denia, Santa Pola, San Juan Player, still hammering around, tooting horns in their dusty cars and scooters.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I am tomorrow on the brilliant Tram service ( L4) from Alicante, presume you mean 32.187 KPH.

Not seen any speed restrictions in neighbouring resorts like Torrevieja, Teulada-Moraira, Javea, Calpe, Altea, Denia, Santa Pola, San Juan Player, still hammering around, tooting horns in their dusty cars and scooters.
    No, I mean 20 signs, me and the missus remarked on them, ‘There’s another one, there’s another one’

Currently in France and there's plenty of 30kph roads around through towns and villages. Not such a big deal.
    Not sure if this is the same petition, but there's also one doing the rounds organised by the Welsh Conservatives. Ironic really when all but one of their Senedd members voted in favour of it.

Signed

Not signed

I’m in Normandy at the moment, and all the villages/towns are 20 mph and nearly everyone is sticking to it. I have to say, it doesn’t seem to be too big a problem.

I don't drive in Cardiff often but wanted to go to Ikea and thought I'd see what it's like driving through constant 20mph zones as far as Upper Boat, so went through Canton, Radyr and Taffs Well, before hitting the A470.

I encountered one car going through Radyr at around 17 mph. If someone doing 27 in a 30 zone is a tad frustrating, 17 in a 20 zone is infinitely worse.

After a while, because I was driving so slowly, my mind was wandering as I didn't feel I needed as much concentration on the road. I started looking at other things as I was driving, something I wouldn't really do at 30. Will driving more slowly cause drivers to lose concentration? I wonder.

At one point I had a slight battle with 2 cyclists, both of which were doing roughly the same speed as me, but out of habit, I wanted to get past them. They had a small cycle lane, so it wasn't as if I was trying to overtake on the other side of the road, but seeing them overtake me at times was more than a bit disconcerting. Drivers will have to be more vigilant of cyclists going faster on the nearside.

I also found that it felt more exhausting trying to stick to 20mph going along long sections of road.

I might be wrong, but I fear this new 20mph limit will cause more accidents as drivers, pedestrians and cyclists get used to it. It'll make some drivers more impatient and make more risks in a bid to get somewhere. It'll mean more cars on our roads as it'll take everyone longer to get somewhere.

I don’t think doing 20mph is a problem
    The problem is c**** who tailgate

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Though at 20mph, they're far less of a risk than tossers who tailgate on much faster roads. The numbers of drivers I see totally ignoring the 2 second rule on dual carriageways and motorways is staggering.

went to Brentford the other day, loads of 20mph streets there too

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Drakefords fault.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you're against this proposal, then below is the link to the Change website, where you can register your disapproval. Not sure it will make any difference, but every little helps. Go to the site, complete as required, and log your protest.
    https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-we...-wales-by-2023
    Why are you opposed to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    But was it the default speed limit on all roads?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Why are you opposed to it?
    Because the blanket approach is stupid and clearly hasn't been thought through properly. We've already got bus companies in Wales cutting services because of increased journey times. Delivery drivers are going to be trundling along at 20 mph on empty roads in the early hours of the morning as well.

I read somewhere the other day that bus and coach companies will have significantly increased maintenance costs because the gearing systems on those vehicles aren't designed for a top speed of 20 mph.

International

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Tailgate at twenty

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Because the blanket approach is stupid and clearly hasn't been thought through properly. We've already got bus companies in Wales cutting services because of increased journey times. Delivery drivers are going to be trundling along at 20 mph on empty roads in the early hours of the morning as well.
    Some of these pensioners love it, they've forgotten what it's like to be busy and the need to get around at a reasonable pace, whats the rush Let's trundle around at 15MPH to be on the safe side no rush!

Again we have a polorising and people splitting Drakeford power crazy decision to argue over!

90% or people are against it, who cares we are doing it anyway!