+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Common football phrases

Re: Common football phrases

Anything spouted by Emma Hayes (Hoddle sound-alike), in particular the previously mentioned Double Pivot, High Press and Low Block...... aaaaarrrrggghhh !!!

Another new one that people may not have heard of is ‘flat track bully’

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Apparently it comes from cricket when WG Grace played, the catch was so easy you could take it sitting down.
    Surely it comes from the hunting term "sitting duck"? IE an easy target.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Another new one that people may not have heard of is ‘flat track bully’
    I really couldn’t care less.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I really couldn’t care less.
    Wowzers. Nothing to add. No smiley.
    😜

International

Stop doing a Drippy - Get the ball forward faster

Some of the phrases are decent enough. I like the word 'clip' 'Pinged' 'Whipped' it really does paint a picture for me. Low block, two banks, double pivot is painful, not even Pep would sound good if he used those phrases. Thing is, talking about football, or being descriptive about it is difficult, i say difficult, i mean it's difficult not to sound like a cock. I read back what i've put on here sometimes and i'm thinking '**** me' you sound a tit, and you were even trying not too

'Switchball' seems to be another irritating term used by the ccfc commentary team.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Apparently it comes from cricket when WG Grace played, the catch was so easy you could take it sitting down.
    It comes from shooting. The beaters would beat the bushes to make the birds fly so the 'guns' could shoot at them. It was considered bad form to shoot a bird sitting on the ground. (Particularly as it may be a female guarding her eggs which are next year's 'shoot'.)

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not necessarily a football phrase but here's one I have heard just recently, just now from the annoying lady commentator on the Ryder Cup, from the "Getgo" (from the start).

Another one that had crept into sporting vernacular, heard it in a rugby world cup match a few times the other day.
    "He is box office"
    "Get go" does my head in, as does "back in the day".

Hugh Johns never used to say right or left wing - it'd always be something like "(Rod) Thomas is moving up right side", he probably called wingers ciders

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Hugh Johns never used to say right or left wing - it'd always be something like "(Rod) Thomas is moving up right side", he probably called wingers ciders
    I reckon there’s a good couple of coaches who run these courses for pro licenses etc who probably get bored with doing the same stuff, and every now and then they’ll have a bet with each other on who can influence and introduce the latest buzz words or phrases.
    At the end of each course they probably piss themselves laughing at the dozy knob head, whose saying all the “new” innovative terminology

Coach A
    I’ve got one for transfer day
    ‘In the building “

Coach B
    Don’t be so daft, I’ll have a score on that one

Coach B
    Going through the protocols

Coach A laughing “I’ll have £50 on that one, no one will use that unless there a right muppet, it will be like watching an episode of the Office

Then along comes Morison🤔

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I reckon there’s a good couple of coaches who run these courses for pro licenses etc who probably get bored with doing the same stuff, and every now and then they’ll have a bet with each other on who can influence and introduce the latest buzz words or phrases.
    At the end of each course they probably piss themselves laughing at the dozy knob head, whose saying all the “new” innovative terminology

Coach A
    I’ve got one for transfer day
    ‘In the building “

Coach B
    Don’t be so daft, I’ll have a score on that one

Coach B
    Going through the protocols

Coach A laughing “I’ll have £50 on that one, no one will use that unless there a right muppet, it will be like watching an episode of the Office

Then along comes Morison��

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

The 'From the get-go' term seems to have entered the English language from the African-American community in the US.
    Not being used to it (and being used to the more common UK term 'From the word go') it does come over as being uncomfortable on the ear but language progresses whether we like it or not - and our 'versions' are merely a snapshot in time themselves. Very often, words that we consider to be American 'imports' are actually old English. Languages change more quickly where the population is large - and many former overseas colonies (where communities were originally smaller than their respective colonial masters) still used words that were dispensed with in Europe.

Having said all that, I still can't come to terms with:

1."I'm good"
    2. So fun
    3. You guys (when females are included)

However, language will continue changing whether any of us (including yours truly) are spluttering on our Wincarnis or turning in our graves.

The word 'nice' once meant stupid, the word 'meat' used to include vegetable and dairy products (hence mincemeat not having any meat in it) and the word 'black' and the French word 'blanc' (i.e. white) are cognate (and meaning 'burned).

One thing I don't have a problem with (although many people do) is starting a spoken sentence with 'So'. All languages have their filler words and you sound a lot more natural in another language if you use them yourself. For me, it's no worse than starting a sentence with 'Well'.

I’m lost for words, yet they still carry on talking.
    Back of the net, if you hit the back of the net, you’ve misses !

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    He might have it in his locker but can he do it at Stoke on a wet cold Tuesday night?
    What happened to park the bus

The corridor of uncertainty.
    WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    The corridor of uncertainty.
    WTF!
    That's a cricket phrase - Geoffrey Boycott's I think

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    “There is a player in there” is popping up a lot and has started to irk me.
    The last time I heard that was this week, when speaking to my grandaughter's partner, a Forest fan, whilst we were discussing Jonathan Panzo.

Professional foul: a foul that any amateur is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Professional foul: a foul that any amateur is capable of.
    Yeah, But Amateur Footballers aren't Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The 'From the get-go' term seems to have entered the English language from the African-American community in the US.
    Not being used to it (and being used to the more common UK term 'From the word go') it does come over as being uncomfortable on the ear but language progresses whether we like it or not - and our 'versions' are merely a snapshot in time themselves. Very often, words that we consider to be American 'imports' are actually old English. Languages change more quickly where the population is large - and many former overseas colonies (where communities were originally smaller than their respective colonial masters) still used words that were dispensed with in Europe.

Having said all that, I still can't come to terms with:

1."I'm good"
    2. So fun
    3. You guys (when females are included)

However, language will continue changing whether any of us (including yours truly) are spluttering on our Wincarnis or turning in our graves.

The word 'nice' once meant stupid, the word 'meat' used to include vegetable and dairy products (hence mincemeat not having any meat in it) and the word 'black' and the French word 'blanc' (i.e. white) are cognate (and meaning 'burned).

One thing I don't have a problem with (although many people do) is starting a spoken sentence with 'So'. All languages have their filler words and you sound a lot more natural in another language if you use them yourself. For me, it's no worse than starting a sentence with 'Well'.
    Words such as.. 'well' and 'so', even the expression 'uhm', are often referred to as discourse markers.
    As you said, they can help you sound more natural.
    They often have a purpose of giving you a moment to think about what you're going to say.

In English language tests, such as IELTS and TOEFL, they can actually help improve your score if used timely.

I always thought 'from the get go' came from athletics as a shortened version of 'on your marks, get set, go', and not necessarily from the African American communities in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I always thought 'from the get go' came from athletics as a shortened version of 'on your marks, get set, go', and not necessarily from the African American communities in the US?
    Is that statement a question?

https://www.deseret.com/1996/11/24/1...ble%20to%20say.

When commentators say “He was a short mile from a third there.”

It seems to be the buzz phrase at the moment on Sky and talkSPORT etc.