Thread: Common football phrases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Common football phrases

The transfer window has SLAMMED shut

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    The transfer window has SLAMMED shut
    I've brought this up before on here but there can't have been any glaziers on because I didn't get a reply. I was querying whether a window can actually slam shut. My limited knowledge of windows is that even if they slam then there is still some manual work needed to actually shut them, unlike a door. It's probably not important but it bothers me a bit every now and again.

Not as much as 'world-class save' though. That breaks me.

International

clip pass, that CCFC commentator loves a lovely clip pass.

Not necessarily a football phrase but here's one I have heard just recently, just now from the annoying lady commentator on the Ryder Cup, from the "Getgo" (from the start).

Another one that had crept into sporting vernacular, heard it in a rugby world cup match a few times the other day.
    "He is box office"

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not necessarily a football phrase but here's one I have heard just recently, just now from the annoying lady commentator on the Ryder Cup, from the "Getgo" (from the start).

Another one that had crept into sporting vernacular, heard it in a rugby world cup match a few times the other day.
    "He is box office"
    "Get go" does my head in, as does "back in the day".

Hugh Johns never used to say right or left wing - it'd always be something like "(Rod) Thomas is moving up right side", he probably called wingers ciders

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    "Get go" does my head in, as does "back in the day".

Hugh Johns never used to say right or left wing - it'd always be something like "(Rod) Thomas is moving up right side", he probably called wingers ciders
    The 'From the get-go' term seems to have entered the English language from the African-American community in the US.
    Not being used to it (and being used to the more common UK term 'From the word go') it does come over as being uncomfortable on the ear but language progresses whether we like it or not - and our 'versions' are merely a snapshot in time themselves. Very often, words that we consider to be American 'imports' are actually old English. Languages change more quickly where the population is large - and many former overseas colonies (where communities were originally smaller than their respective colonial masters) still used words that were dispensed with in Europe.

Having said all that, I still can't come to terms with:

1."I'm good"
    2. So fun
    3. You guys (when females are included)

However, language will continue changing whether any of us (including yours truly) are spluttering on our Wincarnis or turning in our graves.

The word 'nice' once meant stupid, the word 'meat' used to include vegetable and dairy products (hence mincemeat not having any meat in it) and the word 'black' and the French word 'blanc' (i.e. white) are cognate (and meaning 'burned).

One thing I don't have a problem with (although many people do) is starting a spoken sentence with 'So'. All languages have their filler words and you sound a lot more natural in another language if you use them yourself. For me, it's no worse than starting a sentence with 'Well'.