+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti English chanting mentioned on Call Rob

Anti English chanting mentioned on Call Rob

By some old bloke from the Rhondda, saying he doesn't like it. Ian Walsh said he had some fans at Palace telling him to go back to Wales and it didn't bother him. Both said that players don't really notice and Jason Perry was quick to say there's a difference between a bit of banter and something more serious.

Re: Anti English chanting mentioned on Call Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    By some old bloke from the Rhondda, saying he doesn't like it. Ian Walsh said he had some fans at Palace telling him to go back to Wales and it didn't bother him. Both said that players don't really notice and Jason Perry was quick to say there's a difference between a bit of banter and something more serious.
    shut up ,sit down and clap politely.

There’s a few old farts on here that would love to sanitise our stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    There’s a few old farts on here that would love to sanitise our stadium.
    Here’s one old fart who’d definitely prefer ‘Oh when the blues go marching in’ rather than the idiotic ‘Oh England is full of shit’.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Here’s one old fart who’d definitely prefer ‘Oh when the blues go marching in’ rather than the idiotic ‘Oh England is full of shit’.
    I bet you be happy to have all the fans mixed together and turn it into a NFL type day out with your clackers and go blubirds placards.

I bet you be happy to have all the fans mixed together and turn it into a NFL type day out with your clackers and go blubirds placards.
    How did you come to that conclusion? We always used to sing ‘Oh when the blues go marching in’, it was sang during the dark days when hooliganism was at its height. In fact during those days our repertoire was very much pro Cardiff City rather than, what seems now, the majority of chants being anti English or Swansea. Certainly wasn’t a family fun day home and away in those late 60s/1970s days. How old are you though? 12?

Yeah just like it was in the 70s.

How did you come to that conclusion? We always used to sing ‘Oh when the blues go marching in’, it was sang during the dark days when hooliganism was at its height. In fact during those days our repertoire was very much pro Cardiff City rather than, what seems now, the majority of chants being anti English or Swansea. Certainly wasn’t a family fun day home and away in those late 60s/1970s days. How old are you though? 12?
    I come to that conclusion because that's the way the new modern football fan wants to take it and old farts like you will just accept it….thank god for the Cardiff youth.

I come to that conclusion because that's the way the new modern football fan wants to take it and old farts like you will just accept it….thank god for the Cardiff youth.
    Modern football? ....as I’ve alluded to, I want to go back to the likes of the chants and songs we sang thirty/forty odd years ago, ones that supported the side, included players names etc rather than anti English and anti Swansea songs on repeat. The Cardiff youth of my day were so much more inventive and talented in their field than today’s lot who think a paedophile song is the type of thing that gees the side up. Surely you can see that???

us old farts back in the 60's?had to have a bit of banter so you dont have too

Modern football? ....as I’ve alluded to, I want to go back to the likes of the chants and songs we sang thirty/forty odd years ago, ones that supported the side, included players names etc rather than anti English and anti Swansea songs on repeat. The Cardiff youth of my day were so much more inventive and talented in their field than today’s lot who think a paedophile song is the type of thing that gees the side up. Surely you can see that???
    Lol - Classic 70s chants like you’re gonna get your fkn head kicked in….thrown any away supporters in the taf lately Parker.😂

The repertoire these days is pretty dire and uninspiring to the team I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The repertoire these days is pretty dire and uninspiring to the team I would think.
    Yep because it’s being dumbed down - you may as well have the away end in treherbert.

Lol - Classic 70s chants like you’re gonna get your fkn head kicked in….thrown any away supporters in the taf lately Parker.��
    My post said, ‘chants and songs we sang thirty/forty years ago, ones that supported the side’. The ones you’ve mentioned above are the type that you’re condoning by the tone of your posts but they were of their time, unfortunately, but they were considerably diluted by pro Cardiff City songs. It seems that your take on support, anti this, anti that type of chanting is helping the atmosphere and the team, it isn’t. Giving Swansea air time when playing Rotherham is pretty daft. A head shaking moment at Leicester the other week when some started singing ‘We f*cking hate the West country’. It just emphasises how crap today’s repertoire is, the wittiness and inventiveness is sadly lacking.

My post said, ‘chants and songs we sang thirty/forty years ago, ones that supported the side’. The ones you’ve mentioned above are the type that you’re condoning by the tone of your posts but they were of their time, unfortunately, but they were considerably diluted by pro Cardiff City songs. It seems that your take on support, anti this, anti that type of chanting is helping the atmosphere and the team, it isn’t. Giving Swansea air time when playing Rotherham is pretty daft. A head shaking moment at Leicester the other week when some started singing ‘We f*cking hate the West country’. It just emphasises how crap today’s repertoire is, the wittiness and inventiveness is sadly lacking.
    C'mon Splottie, where's your love for City if you can't enjoy seeing your team 2up away from home and the away support are serenading the home crowd about 10 year olds in West Wales being the victims of incestuous child abuse?

I loved it. Stood there with my 10 year old makes it all the more meaningful.

Chants about England being shit and sheepshaggers, it's really not offensive but just boring, heard at 44 league matches and the odd cup game if we are lucky.

Add in 46 matches of the hymns and arias twist and the ever cringey Swansea slums and by about mid August I think I'd rather some NFL type chants and cheerleaders.

The same old English always cheating chant is a bit cringe seeing as the vast majority of our players are English.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    The same old English always cheating chant is a bit cringe seeing as the vast majority of our players are English.
    I think that was my point, that players don't give a monkeys about it. Jason Perry said he often wasn't aware of what was being sung, players tended to feed off the crowd's energy. Bristol Rovers come out with anti Welsh stuff when they play Welsh sides and they've had lots of Welsh players. Sometimes we lose the distinction of what banter is.

The anti English stuff is ironic considering we play in an English league structure and would be, no doubt, very keen to continue to do so. It’s been stated that the EFL don’t like us and Swansea (and presumably Newport and Wrexham). One would hope that anti English sentiment never comes back to bite us.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The anti English stuff is ironic considering we play in an English league structure and would be, no doubt, very keen to continue to do so. It’s been stated that the EFL don’t like us and Swansea (and presumably Newport and Wrexham). One would hope that anti English sentiment never comes back to bite us.
    It won't, I'm not sure the legality of them booting us but even if they could would they want to? I think each club adds something and you now have Hollywood up north too.

I doubt many people have any ill feeling towards England or it's inhabitants, would be quite irrational and weird.

I just find some of the chants a bit tired. We as a club badly lack a proper anthem.

I don't mind the anti English chants really, because I don't feel any genuine malice is in them.

I have to say though, it does feel different at Wales games now, where the support is more political than it used to be.

My kids have a mixed background and I don't really feel comfortable at Wales games so much now tbh. Not unsafe in any respect but you sense a genuine hatred from some (a minority of course) whereas at City it really is just banter

We had just lost 3-2 having been 2-0 up.
    The phone in should be relevant to that, the transfer business etc.
    Don't know why it was so relevant yesterday from that bloke?

Sounds like some of our lot were threatening Ipswich fans on the way back to the station

It wouldn't have been a surprise with Bristol , Stoke , etc

But Ipswich ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Sounds like some of our lot were threatening Ipswich fans on the way back to the station

It wouldn't have been a surprise with Bristol , Stoke , etc

But Ipswich ?
    I kid you not but Ipswich do have a element of idiots these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Just paranoid tosh, methinks.