+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City Stadium

Cardiff City Stadium

I've always wondered why we have such large entrances at each corner.......looking at say Arsenal ground....so much more atmosphere when the crowd wrap around the corners....

Re: Cardiff City Stadium

I always guessed it’s to get things in and out for concerts and stuff like that? Not sure.

Ambulances, grow lights for the pitch, trucks relaying the pitch, all the gear for concerts/events.

Most stadiums have similar entry ways.

Most don’t have 4 (now 3 with the Grandstand/Canton corner filled in).

I just visited cardiffcitystadium.co.uk and the first picture is of Yankee Stadium. Weird.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I've always wondered why we have such large entrances at each corner.......looking at say Arsenal ground....so much more atmosphere when the crowd wrap around the corners....

The club magazine refers to these exits as vomitories. I’d never heard the word in this context before but I was in Madrid last week and the Bernabeu stadium tour and there’s the word above the exits

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    The club magazine refers to these exits as vomitories. I’d never heard the word in this context before but I was in Madrid last week and the Bernabeu stadium tour and there’s the word above the exits
    Is where people go to be sick then ?

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    It goes back to Roman times. Vomitorium was the name for the exits at amphitheatres and theatres. Nothing to do with puking.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It goes back to Roman times. Vomitorium was the name for the exits at amphitheatres and theatres. Nothing to do with puking.
    Thanks TBG.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Thanks TBG.
    Did I ever tell you about my classical tour. From the amphitheatres of Arles and Nimes, to the splendid theatres of Ephesus, Taormina and Taragona, culminating in the majesty of the Colliseum of Rome.

There was a vomitorioum at the back of the Bob Bank during my younger days, especially after a session on Hurlimanns and a dodgy dog burger from Sloper Road.

The gaps underneath is to allow for the rozzers and Bizzies and their horses and dogs to get in the stadium when it all kicks off

Which is what the council were always afraid of

Did I ever tell you about my classical tour. From the amphitheatres of Arles and Nimes, to the splendid theatres of Ephesus, Taormina and Taragona, culminating in the majesty of the Colliseum of Rome.
    I bet all that pales into insignificance now that the Welsh Government has implemented these 20 mph speed limits.

I remember the club saying it was something to do with air flow

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I bet all that pales into insignificance now that the Welsh Government has implemented these 20 mph speed limits.
    TBG will be along soon with his Speed Restrictions on the Silk Road Blog to put all this into perspective.

TBG will be along soon with his Speed Restrictions on the Silk Road Blog to put all this into perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I remember the club saying it was something to do with air flow
    Yep...helps the pitch dry and maintains decent pitch growth. Plus you can get equipment in and out as has been mentioned elsewhere.