+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: All these suggestions that the Canton end should be in the family stand

All these suggestions that the Canton end should be in the family stand

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but surely if any City fan wants to get close to the away fans, why not just occupy that corner of the Ninian?

Re: All these suggestions that the Canton end should be in the family stand

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but surely if any City fan wants to get close to the away fans, why not just occupy that corner of the Ninian?
    I’ve always said this, I’ve been in the Ninian stand next to the away fans many times and lots of empty seats.

They did. A load used to stand there in the opening years of the CCS (presumably the same people who stood in the corner of the Bob Bank even after the terrace below reopened).

The club clamped down the persistent standing for years and then when they formally allowed standing in the Canton stand they really clamped down on it.

Unnecessary in my opinion and definitely hit the atmosphere. I think they should identify that as a standing area too personally.

All that said, for the Jacks game lots will be stood there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes you are missing something incredibly obvious. You can stand in the canton and have been able to since season 1.

You can't stand in the ninian and they make it very very difficult for you if you do. For a very good reason though. Standing should remain in the canton but side to the pitch irs a nightmare if some stand and some sit. Behind the goal doesn't matter so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yes you are missing something incredibly obvious. You can stand in the canton and have been able to since season 1.

You can't stand in the ninian and they make it very very difficult for you if you do. For a very good reason though. Standing should remain in the canton but side to the pitch irs a nightmare if some stand and some sit. Behind the goal doesn't matter so much.
    People who want to watch the opposition fans instead of the game are usually missing something obvious, usually between their ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    People who want to watch the opposition fans instead of the game are usually missing something obvious, usually between their ears.
    Indeed. However idiot's going to idiot.

I guess if they were in the corner behind the goal they wouldn't be blocking anyone else though. In the main stand on the side of the pitch they are blocking lots of people.

I think you’re missing the point. The away fans are allowed to stand and can generate a lot of noise / atmosphere. In the Ninian any noise made by the Canton is drowned out by the Away fans. Fans in the Ninian rarely hear what’s coming out of the Canton, therefore it’s difficult to join in (& sitting doesn’t help). This further encourages the away fans as the areas around them are quiet.

Personally, from day 1, I think it’s been a mistake and makes for a poor atmosphere and gives away fans an advantage when creating noise.

Away fans always tend to make more noise. Another thing worth bearing in mind is that supporters of the away team have been provided with plenty of reasons to celebrate at Cardiff City Stadium in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’ve always said this, I’ve been in the Ninian stand next to the away fans many times and lots of empty seats.
    Having been in the family stand many times I dint know why they dont move the whole idea up to the red seats, much better view fir the kids, away fans can have that part of the grange end the more they bring the further along they go….all I can ever hear is 2000 away fans……meanwhile singing fans should then be allowed in the Ninian to get a bit of noise going. Works at most grounds including many of the livelier ones. Anyone who steps out of line is looking at few months of porridge so the magic barrier of the corner will easily suffice…..anyone who goes into it gets an instant ban? Easy….

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    So does that mean people that go there to catch up and talk to their mates and ain't to worried about the football are missing something as well.

It’s more expensive and you’re not allowed to stand up.

Switching the Canton and Family or making the closer half of the Ninian the singing section would be a huge boost to the atmosphere. I’d wager it would boost attendances and home performances too.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    It’s more expensive and you’re not allowed to stand up.

Switching the Canton and Family or making the closer half of the Ninian the singing section would be a huge boost to the atmosphere. I’d wager it would boost attendances and home performances too.
    I agree entirely but the local council and the old bill made this segregation a part of granting the ground a safety licence

It would be great but it's not going to happen