+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

Re: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

Georgia really cocked this one up

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There is absolutely zero justification for rugby's closed shops. It's such a remnant of the old boys network.

100% there should be promotion between the six nations and the European International Championships.

Imagine in a few years Wales playing away to Spain in the Bernabeu or visiting the beautiful city oh Tbilisi.

Rugby needs to open up
    Back in 1981 I went to the USSR on holiday. Quite a adventure back then, deep in the Cold War era. Wales were playing The Soviet Union in Moscow so that was the icing on the cake as I got a ticket. As it happens, for whatever reason, the match was switched to Tbilisi. I can never see the name without a sense of disappointment. I ended up having to look for the score in Pravda's "sports page" 😂 Oh and we lost 3-0.

Portugal 7 Australia 3 inside fifteen minutes. I rubbished Wales after their performance against Portugal, but I think I was being unfair, they’re a good side and the try they just scored had a bit of everything to it.

Portugal 7 Australia 3 inside fifteen minutes. I rubbished Wales after their performance against Portugal, but I think I was being unfair, they’re a good side and the try they just scored had a bit of everything to it.

Looks like their try scorer is going to get a red card though.

Zammit hat trick..but the third try was dubious...very dubious

Ireland are looking ominously good.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ireland are looking ominously good.
    That has to be the understatement of the year Bob.

Didn’t realise ITV were showing a training session on tv last night. The media were going over the top with their praise for Townsends team in the build up to the game. Ireland played well but Scotland were hopeless. A few miles south of the Stade De France their EuroStar was waiting for them at Gare De Nord. The same thing could happen to Ireland next weekend.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Didn’t realise ITV were showing a training session on tv last night. The media were going over the top with their praise for Townsends team in the build up to the game. Ireland played well but Scotland were hopeless. A few miles south of the Stade De France their EuroStar was waiting for them at Gare De Nord. The same thing could happen to Ireland next weekend.
    Ireland .looked unbeatable for an hour but New Zealand have been getting better and better.

Going to be an interesting match up and a shame that one of them are going home early especially when you see the standard in the other half of the draw.

Absolutely ridiculous format but I guess some of it is there are just so few rugby playing nations you are bound to end up with an uneven draw. They have got to find some way of seeding it closer to the actual tournament or figuring out a way that you don't have 3 of the top 5 teams in the world in a group though. Both quarter finals in that half of the draw will be far more competitive games than any up until the final (which is very likely to be whichever two teams manage to come out of those quarters).

I disagree wholeheartedly that Scotland are crap btw, they looked crap for 60 minutes because they ran into a buzzsaw Irish team but they would beat England and Wales quite handily who will go unbeaten in their groups.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous format but I guess some of it is there are just so few rugby playing nations you are bound to end up with an uneven draw. They have got to find some way of seeding it closer to the actual tournament or figuring out a way that you don't have 3 of the top 5 teams in the world in a group though. Both quarter finals in that half of the draw will be far more competitive games than any up until the final (which is very likely to be whichever two teams manage to come out of those quarters).

I disagree wholeheartedly that Scotland are crap btw, they looked crap for 60 minutes because they ran into a buzzsaw Irish team but they would beat England and Wales quite handily who will go unbeaten in their groups.
    It’s all about opinions. Disagree with you about Scotland. I think Wales England and Scotland are currently on a level par. Any match up between the 3 of them now would all be 50/50 games. Ireland are on another level at the moment and are rightly ranked as no 1 team in the world.
    As you say, Saturdays qtr final between Ireland and the All Blacks, looks mouth watering.
    My prediction, is for NZ to beat France in the final.

On current form Wales would beat Scotland and England . Townsend has a lot of thinking to do before the next Six Nations. His assistant Steve Tandy is supposed to be a defence coach.Both are going to be working hard over the next few months. Scotland has the same problems as Wales- poor regional rugby. That’s not going to change anytime soon. The one advantage Wales do have over Scotland, is that they have a better coach.

Good game to see who we’ll play in the Quarterfinals- Argentina 15 Japan 14 with two tries each just before half time,

Argentina 15-14 Japan at half time. Interesting game this, Japan looking devoid of ideas only to score a great second try to go in a point behind

Wales have to fancy their chances against either of these

On current form Wales would beat Scotland and England . Townsend has a lot of thinking to do before the next Six Nations. His assistant Steve Tandy is supposed to be a defence coach.Both are going to be working hard over the next few months. Scotland has the same problems as Wales- poor regional rugby. That’s not going to change anytime soon. The one advantage Wales do have over Scotland, is that they have a better coach.
    If Wales has poor regional rugby .......why do Wales have so many talented players ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It’s all about opinions. Disagree with you about Scotland. I think Wales England and Scotland are currently on a level par. Any match up between the 3 of them now would all be 50/50 games. Ireland are on another level at the moment and are rightly ranked as no 1 team in the world.
    As you say, Saturdays qtr final between Ireland and the All Blacks, looks mouth watering.
    My prediction, is for NZ to beat France in the final.
    England are bottlers , staggering considering the depth of player numbers

Argentina deserved winners 39-27, much improved from the shambles they were against England.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If Wales has poor regional rugby .......why do Wales have so many talented players ?
    'aven't you erd of the fly arf factory butt ?

Have a look in the 4 regions trophy cabinets for the past 20 years and you will find the answer. The regions don’t have enough decent players to win anything, unlike the Irish regions, who do. Last season Ireland U 20’s won the equivalent of the 6 Nations. Leinster supplied 9 or 10 of the team in each of the games. It’s no wonder Leinster and Ireland are doing well. Munster also won the URC play offs, winning away in South Africa against all the odds.Gatland is able to bring the best out of them collectively when they play international rugby.
    It’s no guarantee Wales will beat Argentina next weekend, but they are favourites to reach the semi final.

Have a look in the 4 regions trophy cabinets for the past 20 years and you will find the answer. The regions don’t have enough decent players to win anything, unlike the Irish regions, who do. Last season Ireland U 20’s won the equivalent of the 6 Nations. Leinster supplied 9 or 10 of the team in each of the games. It’s no wonder Leinster and Ireland are doing well. Munster also won the URC play offs, winning away in South Africa against all the odds.Gatland is able to bring the best out of them collectively when they play international rugby.
    It’s no guarantee Wales will beat Argentina next weekend, but they are favourites to reach the semi final.
    It's all down to the way the game is structured in Ireland and a huge part of it is the way rugby development is dealt with at public school level and continued through to the professional teams. Sam Warburton said as much when interviewed a few weeks ago. He said there's a lot more money in Dublin than Cardiff, presumably meaning there are many more public schools in Ireland for them to structure their game in a way that would be impossible here in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Argentina deserved winners 39-27, much improved from the shambles they were against England.
    Gonna be an epic game next weekend I feel. Argentina will be happy with the draw, just as Wales are.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Ireland .looked unbeatable for an hour but New Zealand have been getting better and better.

Going to be an interesting match up and a shame that one of them are going home early especially when you see the standard in the other half of the draw.
    Big battle up front I think. The backlines of both sides have played some great stuff when given an armchair ride by their forward packs. Interesting to see if one pack comes out on top, or which backline can still produce magic with worse ball than they've been used to. I suppose advantage Ireland in that department, as they've beaten South Africa in their biggest test so far while the kiwis went down to the French in their biggest test

If the Argies play like they did today , we'll be in trouble.
    Our game plan is to kick everything down the middle of the pitch , then defend.
    They'll love that with their backs.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Gonna be an epic game next weekend I feel. Argentina will be happy with the draw, just as Wales are.
    Why? Wales have beaten each team in that pool, including battering Australia whilst Fiji side who laboured to victory against Georgia and beat Australia by 7 (Compared to Wales' 32). I wouldn't want to play them and would rather one of Australia or Fiji if I were Argentinian

Fiji playing awful atm.