+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

International

Re: About time we had a rugby World Cup thread?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The ref yellow carded a Fijian the only time they gave away a penalty close to their line, but didn’t for the ten or so we gave away within ten yards of our line - the only yellow card he showed to a Welshman was for an act of stupidity forty yards out from our line - also we got lucky with how at least one of the times they claimed a try was concerned.

Wales were excellent in the third quarter of the game, but, as one or two, including Gatland, admitted were brainless at times in the final fifteen minutes.

Thought that, apart from once when he missed a tackle on his opposite number, Rees-Zammett was very good.
    It was like watching Cardiff City, daft decisions right at the end, but instead of getting punished in the last minute as we do, the Fijian fell over and threw the ball away.

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    I think Gats said there were some 'Dumb'decisions. I wholeheartedly agree. Liam Williams' kick out on the full was stupid when barely one phase of possession would have seen the match out. Also Tomos Williams' pathetic box kick that went straight up was another which gifted them an almost inevitable offside penalty resulting in a period ot relentless pressure where we were lucky not to concede or get a yellow
    You're right about that Tomos Williams kick, the whole nature of the game changed after that.

Its already pointing towards an England v Wales quarter final.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Its already pointing towards an England v Wales quarter final.
    Listening to Radio 5 this morning, it seems like we may as well not turn up for that game - I heard my first serious claim that England could win the whole thing this morning.

Inevitable isn't it... definitely an impressive balls to the wall performance with 14 for the whole game but Argentina were absolute shite, no discipline and no creativity, just ran into the English wall again and again, turned it over or knocked it on or gave up a penalty every time.

I do think they probably have enough to get past Wales with a full squad in the quarters, but the first real contender they play will absolutely smash them still.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Last 20 Wales were on the retreat

Thank god for the ref
    I'm not disputing that. What I AM disputing is your assertion that if Fiji had scored that try it would have meant Wales would have definitely lost. Their kicker would still have had a difficult kick to try and convert close to the touchline. Also, as I said earlier, he had missed a not-too-difficult kick only minutes earlier, who knows how that might have played on his mind.

England will canter to the semis but won’t get any further. There is a huge chasm between the top 4 teams and everyone else at this World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm not disputing that. What I AM disputing is your assertion that if Fiji had scored that try it would have meant Wales would have definitely lost. Their kicker would still have had a difficult kick to try and convert close to the touchline. Also, as I said earlier, he had missed a not-too-difficult kick only minutes earlier, who knows how that might have played on his mind.
    Agree with this, the Fiji kicker is not great and I couldn't see him scoring the conversion. never know though..

Cracking game mind.

I do wonder if the need to get under the posts was what led to semi dropping that ball. Thinking ahead rather than just concentrating on catching ball and going into the corner. As others have said, That Fiji kicker was bloody awful. Must be gutted muntz got himself injured

You're ignoring the context of Sludge's comment. It was that a single move can change the result of a game in rugby in a way it can't in football. Wales were winning. If the Fijian player had held onto that ball they might well have scored and the conversion might well have gone over thus winning the game. In football a late goal to Fiji would have meant a draw not a win. The point being made was not that it was a certain try but that it might have given Fiji the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    You're ignoring the context of Sludge's comment. It was that a single move can change the result of a game in rugby in a way it can't in football. Wales were winning. If the Fijian player had held onto that ball they might well have scored and the conversion might well have gone over thus winning the game. In football a late goal to Fiji would have meant a draw not a win. The point being made was not that it was a certain try but that it might have given Fiji the win.
    That is indeed the point jameswales made and I thought was a very good one

Scotland were fairly easily contained by SA yesterday but a couple of quick tries and the whole game turns

It's more possible given Rugby's points system ?

Sludge said.... "He means if that Fiji player holds on to that pass they win the game , if he doesn't Wales win"

That was a hypothetical statement by Sludge. My point is the Fijian player could have held on to the ball, scored the try, and STILL his team was not guaranteed to win.

Sludge said.... "He means if that Fiji player holds on to that pass they win the game , if he doesn't Wales win"

That was a hypothetical statement by Sludge. My point is the Fijian player could have held on to the ball, scored the try, and STILL his team was not guaranteed to win.
    Of course it was a hypothetical statement. He dropped the ball so any discussion of what might have happened had he not done so is obviously hypothetical. The point I am making is that the main point of his statement was that a game can turn radically on a single score unlike football. Your reply ignores this context entirely. If you don't think so then fine.

I watched coverage yesterday on ITV.
    Surprised that Gareth Thomas was a pundit on there.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Listening to Radio 5 this morning, it seems like we may as well not turn up for that game - I heard my first serious claim that England could win the whole thing this morning.
    As soon as the England game finished I told the missus they'll be saying they're going to win the cup now. And so they have. I bet the French, Irish and South Africans are quaking in their boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I watched coverage yesterday on ITV.
    Surprised that Gareth Thomas was a pundit on there.
    He's a very knowledgeable bloke and a good pundit when he's taking things seriously

That six nations sin bin is utter garbage

i dont understand the rules at all but im going to watch this tournament am i right in thinking a offload is a pass and a collision is a tackle ?

Of course it was a hypothetical statement. He dropped the ball so any discussion of what might have happened had he not done so is obviously hypothetical. The point I am making is that the main point of his statement was that a game can turn radically on a single score unlike football. Your reply ignores this context entirely. If you don't think so then fine.
    It's not about just dropping the ball. Fiji needed more than the 5pts for the try, they needed an extra score (the conversion).

Anyway, I'm not staying on here replying to you all day. You have your view, I have mine.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    i dont understand the rules at all but im going to watch this tournament am i right in thinking a offload is a pass and a collision is a tackle ?
    That will do 😂

He's a very knowledgeable bloke and a good pundit when he's taking things seriously

I think he's referring to the passing of the Aids without alerting his partner

He's awful as a pundit. The Dr, Sam W and Ugo are streets ahead of him.

The horrible **** should stick to panto.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

agree...

Terminology......yes.....offload=pass collision =tackle .. why try and change well understood phases? Transition is my pet hate....maybe they mean counter attack... all Americanisations...

Have you seen him in panto? He's a much better, alright then, slightly better rugby pundit than any panto character hes played.

Oh no he shouldn't