+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whitts vs Le Tissier

Whitts vs Le Tissier

At Southampton Le Tissier was given a virtually free role to be a genius. Dave Jones did something similar with Peter Whittingham, then Malky tried to make him a defensive midfielder and things went wrong.

For all of Le Tissier's amazing goals, Whittingham was right up there with him in terms of vision and brilliance.

Re: Whitts vs Le Tissier

I can’t agree with that.

Whitts was superb for us but Le Tiss was on another level. He could do and see things that other players simply could not.

And in the top division. Plus he was a full international which Whitts never was.

Le Tissier played most of his football in lower reaches of Premier league ?

I think witts had enough talent to cope with that

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    At Southampton Le Tissier was given a virtually free role to be a genius. Dave Jones did something similar with Peter Whittingham, then Malky tried to make him a defensive midfielder and things went wrong.

For all of Le Tissier's amazing goals, Whittingham was right up there with him in terms of vision and brilliance.
    Le Tissier in my opinion is possibly the most underrated player of all time.
    He was phenomenal and better than Gascoigne.
    Thank goodness England didn’t utilize him as they should have.

Also, please let’s not let his thoughts on the world derail the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I can’t agree with that.

Whitts was superb for us but Le Tiss was on another level. He could do and see things that other players simply could not.

And in the top division. Plus he was a full international which Whitts never was.
    Tend to agree with that. As good a player as Whitts was for us, he didn't shine on the biggest stage of all. Le Tissier did, plus he could easily have played for a top 4 club if had chosen to do so. It was his decision to remain a one-club man (excl Eastleigh and Guernsey).

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Tend to agree with that. As good a player as Whitts was for us, he didn't shine on the biggest stage of all. Le Tissier did, plus he could easily have played for a top 4 club if had chosen to do so. It was his decision to remain a one-club man (excl Eastleigh and Guernsey).
    Not sure Whitts was a complete disaster in the Premier League in 13/14, but I agree with you. I always say Whitts would never have played for us if he’d had pace, the implication being you need that quality to succeed at the top level, but LeTissier was proof that you don’t. There was lots you could find fault with about LeTisdier as a player, but his sheer talent level was so high and so consistently shown that those weaker parts of his game didn’t matter.

For me, Whitts was the Championship’s Le Tissier - that’s still a big compliment to pay anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Le Tissier in my opinion is possibly the most underrated player of all time.
    He was phenomenal and better than Gascoigne.
    Thank goodness England didn’t utilize him as they should have.

Also, please let’s not let his thoughts on the world derail the thread.
    Gascoigne was similar in that he wasn't very bright

But Gazza was an absolute football genius and on a different level

Le Tissier was like hoddle . Great player but only one position and hopeless on a cold winters night when you are 2 nil down

Gazza could play anywhere , would get in Lung busting scoring positions then moments later make a match winning tackle in your penalty area

Greatest English all round midfielder of my generation

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Le Tissier was like hoddle . Great player but only one position and hopeless on a cold winters night when you are 2 nil down

Gazza could play anywhere , would get in Lung busting scoring positions then moments later make a match winning tackle in your penalty area

Would you rate him in the Willie Boland class though?

I love Whitts but there’s levels to this game and he’s not in the same bracket as Le Tissier.

Gazza couldn’t lace Bryan Robsons boots in terms of all round midfielder. Better dribbler maybe but Robson could do the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Gazza couldn’t lace Bryan Robsons boots in terms of all round midfielder. Better dribbler maybe but Robson could do the lot.
    This contribution is fitting

Like Gazza I am sure you are a nice enough bloke

But you are not very bright

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Would you rate him in the Willie Boland class though?
    When it comes to defensive midfielders Boland was right up there

Mad eyes

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The only dribbling Robson did was the lager down his shirt

He couldn’t handle his ale better than Gazza that’s for sure

Fair play, you're a phucking idiot to come up with that when considering Gascoignes issues.

This contribution is fitting

Like Gazza I am sure you are a nice enough bloke

But you are not very bright
    Sludge, I am a shining beacon of light when it comes to football knowledge. One of the brightest stars on the forum.You haven’t got scooby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Fair play, you're a phucking idiot to come up with that when considering Gascoignes issues.
    What's robsons drinking got to do with gazzas football skills?

What's robsons drinking got to do with gazzas football skills?
    It could be construed you were inferring Robson couldn’t handle his alcohol in addition to not being able to dribble a football?

Curious analogy to use in support of Gascoigne? For what it’s worth, I don’t think you’ve intentionally inferred anything about anyone’s misuse of alcohol, just you haven’t clicked your brain in gear before posting.

As it goes, for the football, Robson all day long over Gascoigne.

It could be construed you were inferring Robson couldn’t handle his alcohol in addition to not being able to dribble a football?

Curious analogy to use in support of Gascoigne? For what it’s worth, I don’t think you’ve intentionally inferred anything about anyone’s misuse of alcohol, just you haven’t clicked your brain in gear before posting.

As it goes, for the football, Robson all day long over Gascoigne.
    I was indeed inferring Robson was a piss artist

Which he was

I was indeed inferring Robson was a piss artist

Which he was
    I think Robson's drinking habits are well documented and compared to Gascoigne's issues with alcohol...

Hmmm...

Curious analogy and observation to make on your part butt?

I think Robson's drinking habits are well documented and compared to Gascoigne's issues with alcohol...

Hmmm...

Curious analogy and observation to make on your part butt?
    Gazza has a personality disorder and Bipolar and Autism

Robson was just a heavy drinker

It's not comparing like with like

It was sad to see Brian Clough at the end when booze ruined him . But unlike Gazza he had plenty of opportunities to get on top of it .

Gazza had and still has a serious mental illness .

It's chalk and cheese .

Now behave yourself .

Back on topic. Whitts was a fantastic player for us and surely an all time great Championship player. He could have done a job at PL as well.

As much as that Le Tissier belongs with the loons on the alt forum he was completely different level though following on I think Hoddle was a lot better than him.

Also dont agree Whitts went downhill under Malky.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Back on topic. Whitts was a fantastic player for us and surely an all time great Championship player. He could have done a job at PL as well.

As much as that Le Tissier belongs with the loons on the alt forum he was completely different level though following on I think Hoddle was a lot better than him.

I think Whittingham played in most of Aston Villa's premier league games during the 03-04 season, where they finished 6th I'm sure that if was o Leary coming in that did for him.

Whitts played 56 times for villa between 2002 -2007 ( league ) was loaned out to Burnley and Derby in that time too

32 league appearances in the 2003-04 season

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

Fair enough, just that under Malky, Whitts had to be a more complete midfielder, tackling back etc. I remember Malky saying he used to show Whitts a video of an occasion where he had ran 50 yards back to tackle someone. That would hardly ever have happened when Jones was manager. It's maybe no coincidence that most of the brilliant goals, the great free kicks, the moments of jaw dropping skill happened when Jones was our manager. Whitts went over 4 years without scoring a direct free kick under Malky, Solskjaer and Slade and he became a different player.

It would have been interesting to have seen Whitts in the Premier League given a free role. He'd certainly have coped.