+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brynglas Tunnel shut

Brynglas Tunnel shut

so today I set off to see my mum in Barry, leave the house at 9, get to Newport the Tunnel is closed, took me just under 4 hours to get to Barry, on the way home, the other sides shut, so a 4 and 1/4 hour trip home

Of course next weekend is the Jacks game and I believe they are doing work on the tunnel again

any other route to avoid Newport ? ? ? and Coldra roundabout

Chepstow, A466

Usk

pontypool

Blackwood

Ponypridd

Taffs Well

But is that detour too big and will take too long

any other routes ? ?

Re: Brynglas Tunnel shut

I gotta mate with a boat

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    so today I set off to see my mum in Barry, leave the house at 9, get to Newport the Tunnel is closed, took me just under 4 hours to get to Barry, on the way home, the other sides shut, so a 4 and 1/4 hour trip home

Of course next weekend is the Jacks game and I believe they are doing work on the tunnel again

Chepstow, A466

Usk

pontypool

Blackwood

Ponypridd

Taffs Well

any other routes ? ?
    Going West - come off at junction 25 take slip road to Cwmbrân then follow signs to M4 get back on jct. 26

Going East - come off jct 26 follow signs to Caerleon get back on at jct 25. Simple.

Chepstow, A466

Usk

pontypool

Blackwood

Ponypridd

Taffs Well

any other routes ? ?
    Thanks for the heads up, that is one massive pain in the proverbial.
    Might give this game a miss!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Going West - come off at junction 25 take slip road to Cwmbrân then follow signs to M4 get back on jct. 26

Going East - come off jct 26 follow signs to Caerleon get back on at jct 25. Simple.
    Depends on how far the traffic is backed up westbound. I've come off at J24 (when we finally got there), A48 (straightforward and not too much traffic even on a Saturday), back on M4 at J28 Tredegar Park. Or off at Magor, south of Llanwern then pick up A48/J28 if traffic is backed up miles.

many thanks

the gov.wales site says the M4 is shut between junctions 24 and 28

not sure if thats true, as I blindly followed the detour signs at 5 mph in 30C heat

on a plus note, the transporter bridge in Newport looks decent, ive never seen it

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I gotta mate with a boat

im even looking at trains

Amazes me that they always seem to close both tunnels at the same time. Can't they just close one and have 2way traffic in the other?

Went to Chepstow this morning around 8.30 and straight through quickly. On the way back mid afternoon as well as the roadworks westbound both sides were shut due to an incident. Luckily we weren’t one of the vehicles stuck on the m4 and not able to move. Took a good 90 plus minutes to get back to Cardiff. I try and avoid the m4 around newport late afternoon weekdays definitely

many thanks

the gov.wales site says the M4 is shut between junctions 24 and 28

not sure if thats true, as I blindly followed the detour signs at 5 mph in 30C heat

on a plus note, the transporter bridge in Newport looks decent, ive never seen it
    Drakeford and his cronies have completely lost the plot. Travelling between junction 30 and 24 during peak times is a nightmare and to not build the relief road around the tunnels is a disgrace. His answer to all this is 20mph speed limits. The mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Amazes me that they always seem to close both tunnels at the same time. Can't they just close one and have 2way traffic in the other?
    No, they can’t

No, they can’t
    They did in around 1972 when I was involved in checking the tunnel lighting following a fatality in the tunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    They did in around 1972 when I was involved in checking the tunnel lighting following a fatality in the tunnels.
    Yes they did then, but now they can’t because of safety reasons and access.

Drakeford and his cronies have completely lost the plot. Travelling between junction 30 and 24 during peak times is a nightmare and to not build the relief road around the tunnels is a disgrace. His answer to all this is 20mph speed limits. The mind boggles.
    While nobody would describe me as a tree-hugger or particularly eco-friendly, I'm also aware of the damage that mankind has done to our planet.

The damage a relief road would have done to the infrastructure of the important Newport wetlands was considerable. I know most people don't give a shit about things like this, unfortunately.

Near me there's a community wetlands that are raising money to buy the land for the community. It's quite popular in our locality, not just with visitors, twitchers etc, but also with wildlife, where rare birds and others have been spotted. Iolo Williams was there filming recently and he was surprised how much wildlife was there. Protecting wildlife, when numbers are in decline as we take up more and more land, is important. If there was ever talk of destroying it in order to put a road there to ease congestion, there would be uproar.

Drakeford wasted millions on what could have been a productive review in relation to the relief road. But him and that cretin Lee Walters had their heads in the sand and wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Where is the M4 relief, oh hang on Drakeford who travels 1st class on trains has that personal relief. Up the workers.

Where is the M4 relief, oh hang on Drakeford who travels 1st class on trains has that personal relief. Up the workers and socalist model.

Jeezzz lucky, had an important hospital appointment in Bristol today, would never have made it, lucky we got the train.

If it is so simple to solve go into politics and solve it - the amount of self righteous posters on this board is unbelievable

If it's a football problem we have the answer

If it's a political problem we have the answer

If it's a who is better national rugby fans or club rugby fans we have the answer

Ye I know I'm going to get shit for this - it's a forum people can post their views and yes you can - crack on but feck me it's bonkers the shit that gets posted on here

And yes if I don't like it then I can get ignore so for what's it's worth ( which isn't a lot) I'm going to ignore it

I am so glad this board is not the representation of the fan base itself as it used to be a good place to come but feck me it is not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    I am so glad this board is not the representation of the fan base itself as it used to be a good place to come but feck me it is not now.
    Absolutely.

If it is so simple to solve go into politics and solve it - the amount of self righteous posters on this board is unbelievable

If it's a who is better national rugby fans or club rugby fans we have the answer

Ye I know I'm going to get shit for this - it's a forum people can post their views and yes you can - crack on but feck me it's bonkers the shit that gets posted on here

And yes if I don't like it then I can get ignore so for what's it's worth ( which isn't a lot) I'm going to ignore it

This board is full of people over 60 who aren't happy unless they get their way.

It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    The damage a relief road would have done to the infrastructure of the important Newport wetlands was considerable. I know most people don't give a shit about things like this, unfortunately
    But it was fine to destroy the Cardiff wetlands, which are now completely gone, in order to put the barrage in?

But no different to any other form of social media

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    But it was fine to destroy the Cardiff wetlands, which are now completely gone, in order to put the barrage in?
    Are you assuming I was in favour of that?