+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brynglas Tunnel shut

Re: Brynglas Tunnel shut

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Are you assuming I was in favour of that?
    I don't recall you saying otherwise at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    😂

Fantastic. You have transcripts of all my social media posts and message board comments at the time. Let me know what I did say.

To the point, what was your username 20 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    ��
    Any reason you've decided to make yourself look more than a simpleton, by laughing at a post that is utter horse shit from someone who didn't know who I was or existed on this board back then? You really are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Amazes me that they always seem to close both tunnels at the same time. Can't they just close one and have 2way traffic in the other?
    West bound was closed for road works. East bound due to an incident. They didn't plant to close both tunnels at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    While nobody would describe me as a tree-hugger or particularly eco-friendly, I'm also aware of the damage that mankind has done to our planet.

The damage a relief road would have done to the infrastructure of the important Newport wetlands was considerable. I know most people don't give a shit about things like this, unfortunately.

Near me there's a community wetlands that are raising money to buy the land for the community. It's quite popular in our locality, not just with visitors, twitchers etc, but also with wildlife, where rare birds and others have been spotted. Iolo Williams was there filming recently and he was surprised how much wildlife was there. Protecting wildlife, when numbers are in decline as we take up more and more land, is important. If there was ever talk of destroying it in order to put a road there to ease congestion, there would be uproar.

The Wetlands has been used as an excuse not to build the relief road. There were other alternatives which would have been cheaper and less damaging and the were mooted 30+ years ago.

Sooooo

Any other idea's / routes on my trip

I have looked at the train, park up at severn tunnel junction or Caldicot train station, train in and out Cardiff, Via Newport, only downside is the last train is 11.20 ( which would be fine ) train arrives in Caldicot at midnight, drive home, but last train through Newport with the Rugby on and people on the piss all day

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    The Wetlands has been used as an excuse not to build the relief road. There were other alternatives which would have been cheaper and less damaging and the were mooted 30+ years ago.
    Apologies for not knowing what they are.

Bath

Chepstow, A466

Usk

pontypool

Blackwood

Ponypridd

Taffs Well

CCS

2 and 1/2 hours according to google maps

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Sooooo

I have looked at the train, park up at severn tunnel junction or Caldicot train station, train in and out Cardiff, Via Newport, only downside is the last train is 11.20 ( which would be fine ) train arrives in Caldicot at midnight, drive home, but last train through Newport with the Rugby on and people on the piss all day
    The rugby is in France. I don't see hordes of people descending on Cardiff, going out on the rip for a match v Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    West bound was closed for road works. East bound due to an incident. They didn't plant to close both tunnels at the same time.
    which way was the planned closure ? ? and do you know which direction is planned for this weekend ? ? ?

as if its closed heading home to Bath, I can deal with that no drama

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    The rugby is in France. I don't see hordes of people descending on Cardiff, going out on the rip for a match v Portugal.
    fair point

International

so today I set off to see my mum in Barry, leave the house at 9, get to Newport the Tunnel is closed, took me just under 4 hours to get to Barry, on the way home, the other sides shut, so a 4 and 1/4 hour trip home

Of course next weekend is the Jacks game and I believe they are doing work on the tunnel again

any other route to avoid Newport ? ? ? and Coldra roundabout

Chepstow, A466

Usk

pontypool

Blackwood

Ponypridd

Taffs Well

But is that detour too big and will take too long

any other routes ? ?
    Wasn't Drakeford looking for an alternative route, I seem to remember us spending £1.4Billion, and Westminster even saying they would pay. Whatever happened to that, it was going to be amazing for Welsh investment down the M4 corridor and for the Welsh economy, isn't it built yet?

International

No, you are not a tree hugger, but a Drippy lover, If Westminster were responsible you would be full of anger, as it's Drippy you'll make any excuse to defend the most indefensible decision.

Sooooo

One other option with a "late" train is Filton Abbeywood.
    For me all the train options fail my penultimate train on the schedule test as IMHO planning to catch the last train anywhere is not worth the risk nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    One other option with a "late" train is Filton Abbeywood.
    For me all the train options fail my penultimate train on the schedule test as IMHO planning to catch the last train anywhere is not worth the risk nowadays.
    Eastbound through the tunnel around 10.45pm on a Saturday night should be clear. If westbound is closed, may have to go through Newport and just leave more time to get to the match. Less worries about trains then.

which way was the planned closure ? ? and do you know which direction is planned for this weekend ? ? ?

as if its closed heading home to Bath, I can deal with that no drama
    Full details here https://traffic.wales/current-projec...-waterproofing

This coming weekend the closure is East bound. I would leave the M4 at junction 28, Tredgar House and follow the docks link road south of Newport and rejoin the M4 at The Coldra

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Eastbound through the tunnel around 10.45pm on a Saturday night should be clear. If westbound is closed, may have to go through Newport and just leave more time to get to the match. Less worries about trains then.
    Indeed, I am familiar with the late night tour of Newport. More concerned about a potential long crawl in traffic westbound, but it seems that is now not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Full details here https://traffic.wales/current-projec...-waterproofing

This coming weekend the closure is East bound. I would leave the M4 at junction 28, Tredgar House and follow the docks link road south of Newport and rejoin the M4 at The Coldra
    Very useful that link/info.