+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I would prefer the money to be spent on people like yourself.
    You'll be evicted from the Tory Party if they get a whiff those are your true sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    All the very best with your treatment, I am glad your family is helping you out and that you are making the most of your difficult circumstances.

We can agree to disagree on the use of the money for speed reduction, I appreciate we are looking at it from different perspectives, I would prefer the money to be spent on people like yourself, rather than wasted on road signs and traffic enforcement, that a large percentage of the population don't agree with and feel is a waste of time.

It's done for now, I'll just have to live with it until the changes back to 30mph are gradually reintroduced to the bigger safer roads away from schools.

Hopefully it will speed up Drakeford's leaving party so it's there is some good that will come from it.
    Out of interest, have you spoken to any of your councillors yet about how to try to get a 30 limit reinstated?

How embarrassing that the First Minister of Wales has had threats to their own safety off the back of a traffic calming measure. Next time you hear the words 'snowflake' or 'karen' being bandied about lets just remember this incredible dummy spitting by adults who fear being mildly inconvenienced to try and save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    How embarrassing that the First Minister of Wales has had threats to their own safety off the back of a traffic calming measure. Next time you hear the words 'snowflake' or 'karen' being bandied about lets just remember this incredible dummy spitting by adults who fear being mildly inconvenienced to try and save lives.
    So everyone has to support every policy a govt comes up with because a handful of idiots send abusive messages to their political opponents?

Jesus, ffs!

Regional figures as of 24 September.
    Including 20k English who are confused which Country they live in. Add multi email addresses/people voting more than once makes me wonder whether the figures are anywhere near accurate.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eadmore-target https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eadmore-target

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Regional figures as of 24 September.
    Including 20k English who are confused which Country they live in. Add multi email addresses/people voting more than once makes me wonder whether the figures are anywhere near accurate.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eadmore-target https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eadmore-target
    Large number of English residents live on or close to the border between England and Wales but travel daily into and out of Wales, so are entitled to have a say over this issue, which directly affects them. Welsh people who live in England are also fully entitled to a vote. Plus what evidence do you have that there have been large numbers of multi e-mail voters voting more than once or other fraudulent votes ? The only person who has admitted this is a Labour London MP who did it deliberately to try to discredit it. Out of the 436000 current votes, over 416000 are from people in Wales anyway. Anyone who dismisses this petitions votes is as bad as Drakeford and Waters to me. Heads in the sand for purely political reasons because they have made themselves look stupid by introducing a law, without proper consultation, that large numbers of their residents don't agree with. PS. You are seriously barking up the wrong tree if you believe anything Wales Online publish about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    The statistics show that 10 lives will be saved per year with this change, but the real cost for the tax payer is for those who are severely injured. This number far exceeds the number of deaths. When considering the cost of road traffic related injuries, it is not just the cost of initial treatment that needs to be considered. The lifetime costs of looking after severely disabled or brain damaged patients and their loss of economic output. In some cases this can run into millions of pounds.

To give an example, though not related to a traffic injury, I will show much my diagnosis of MND has cost myself and the state.

I was diagnosed with MND in May, having experienced the symptoms for 6 months. I have had to spend over £13,000 of my own money to buy equipment that helps my family look after me. This includes a stair lift (which now has be upgraded after only 4 months), a powered arm chair, bathroom rebuild and many other devices. The state has provided me with a hospital bed, hoists, wheelchairs, commodes and a lifting cushion. Next week I am a getting an eye tracking computer system that will allow me to communicate and control my environment (which on its own is about £4,000). I have on average 5 visits per week from different health care professionals and at present I can only travel by ambulance.

This in only 4 months is as you can see a large expense. Now image a young person with a severe brain injury requiring round the clock living for 40+ years. You can easily realise how much cost that impact on the tax payer.
    I wish you all the best with coping with MND. I had an elderly friend some years ago with the same condition and he saw much humour in his situation. Not sure I could do that.

I'm going to change the angle of the conversation for a moment. If the whole reason for dropping the default speed limit to 20mph is to prevent more serious injuries, why aren't the Welsh Government looking at other roads and other speed limits? Why has there been no target of known problem areas? Drakeford has confirmed the WG aren't looking at other speed limits.

I did a speed awareness course and the purpose of it was to shock. Nicky Campbell hosted the 20mph limit on his show recently and his response whenever someone talked of the 20mph speed limit as nonsense was to present someone who had lost someone as a result of a road accident. That doesn't get anyone anywhere.

If the whole thing was about reducing casualties etc, the WG would be looking at more than just reducing 30mph speed limits to 20. They could look at sporting activities and what isn't safe there. I bet you could make savings with the NHS by modifying rules in sports like rugby. Football has considered limiting headers in training, for example.

There are so many things that can be done to help prevent people being seriously injured in all walks of life, far beyond targeting 30mph limits.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    So everyone has to support every policy a govt comes up with because a handful of idiots send abusive messages to their political opponents?

Jesus, ffs!
    Another overreaction. Of course not, bit worrying though that the debate about traffic has got that toxic. Politics is in the absolute gutter at the moment.

The interesting question with this one for me though is who is handing out the pitchforks ?

Jesus, ffs!
    Where did he say that? And the messages were threatening, as well as abuive. Love how you play things down jimbo.

So theres more people on the english side of the border signed than in each welsh constituency 20k of them.plus people who have signed more than once like eric the bee.we are looking at maybe 300000 .still a lot mind.
    Ynys Môn 7328
    Arfon 3578
    Aberconwy 8145
    Clwyd West 12140
    Vale of Clwyd 11913
    Delyn 12361
    Deeside 14896
    Wrexham 11621
    Clwyd South 10448
    Dwyfor Meirionydd 4386
    Montgomeryshire 3757
    Ceredigion 4937
    Preseli Pembs 6826
    Carms East 9694
    Carms West and south Pembs 7464
    Llanelli 10584
    Gower 11992
    Swansea West 9020
    Swansea East 10072
    Neath 10377
    Aberavon 8234
    Bridgend 9193
    Rhondda 10072
    Cynon Valley 8308
    Cardiff West 10096
    Cardiff Central 6591
    Monmouthshire 6566
    Caerphilly 11587
    Islwyn 10469
    Torfaen 9373
    Blaenau Gwent 7104
    Newport West 10661
    Newport East 8516
    Brecon and Radnorshire 4936
    Cardiff North 11603
    Cardiff South 12201
    Merthyr 7560
    Ogmore 9680
    Pontypridd 10095
    Vale of Glamorgan 13900

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    Another overreaction. Of course not, bit worrying though that the debate about traffic has got that toxic. Politics is in the absolute gutter at the moment.

The interesting question with this one for me though is who is handing out the pitchforks ?
    Agree, political debate is in the gutter

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Where did he say that? And the messages were threatening, as well as abuive. Love how you play things down jimbo.
    Not playing it down at all. I am frequently calling out abusive or threatening language related to politics on here. Are you?

But it doesn't matter what the topic is. It's always wrong

Not playing it down at all. I am frequently calling out abusive or threatening language related to politics on here. Are you?

But it doesn't matter what the topic is. It's always wrong
    The ironic thing though is that there is more fuss with this 20mph rule ( it’s a good thing if it’s around built up residential areas ) than there was when he overreached with his needless Covid restrictions. Strange times indeed.

In the last 2 Weeks I’ve not met one person in agreement with the changes.
    Most are incredibly pissed off with it and some are ignoring it.

Trying to justify it because you are in favour of Drakeford or The Senydd seems nuts to me.

If you want greater safety, start with the anti social wankers doing wheelies and zipping in and out of traffic, off the main roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    In the last 2 Weeks I’ve not met one person in agreement with the changes.
    Most are incredibly pissed off with it and some are ignoring it.

Trying to justify it because you are in favour of Drakeford or The Senydd seems nuts to me.

If you want greater safety, start with the anti social wankers doing wheelies and zipping in and out of traffic, off the main roads.
    I've met a few people in favour, a few very vocally against and the majority of people not really bothered either way. it really doesn't make much difference to anyone day to day

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've met a few people in favour, a few very vocally against and the majority of people not really bothered either way. it really doesn't make much difference to anyone day to day
    You need to meet up with people who are busy and drive a lot, not dodderers who love holding everyone up

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    These things can be hard to judge as our own prejudices do come into play in terms of how we ask the question, but I think your experience is probably close to the truth.

I've tended to find people pretty frustrated by it and just find it daft, or ignore it. Some people claim to love it, but it seems a little early to say that and it contradicts my observation that most seem to ignore it. One guy in work is a very enthusiastic supporter but he is outnumbered significantly by people who don't like it. Most as you say aren't hugely bothered for one reason or another.

Interesting to see a bus company now come out and present the problems it's causing

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...aking-27793032

Personally, as I've said from the beginning, I think 20mph is appropriate and sensible in most residential settings but the wide suburban roads that connect communities etc absolutely can be driven safely at 30mph. It's a nonsense they are included in this and I suspect in due course they will be reversed.

International

These things can be hard to judge as our own prejudices do come into play in terms of how we ask the question, but I think your experience is probably close to the truth.

I've tended to find people pretty frustrated by it and just find it daft, or ignore it. Some people claim to love it, but it seems a little early to say that and it contradicts my observation that most seem to ignore it. One guy in work is a very enthusiastic supporter but he is outnumbered significantly by people who don't like it. Most as you say aren't hugely bothered for one reason or another.

Interesting to see a bus company now come out and present the problems it's causing

Personally, as I've said from the beginning, I think 20mph is appropriate and sensible in most residential settings but the wide suburban roads that connect communities etc absolutely can be driven safely at 30mph. It's a nonsense they are included in this and I suspect in due course they will be reversed.
    Agreed they will eventually reverse the suburban connecting roads they'll have to they don't want people to vote against them for a daft mistake.

Until then ignore them like the stupid covid rules, don't let the buzzards grind you down.

I use the Cwmbran to cardiff stagecoach bus reguarly.A couple of minutes late.But owing to the excellent bus lanes in Cardiff hardly noticeable.I use the Cwmbran to cardiff stagecoach bus reguarly.A couple of minutes late. But owing to the excellent bus lanes in Cardiff hardly noticeable.
    20 mph think wildlife.

On a positive I had a pissed off cyclist behind me today who just couldnt quite get past me in a 20 zone.🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I'm more worried about the other 400 thousand odd clowns. Paints a backward image of society in Wales. Same thing witht the Covid measures and brexit. As you say though, too many people with too much time on their hands and not much going on upstairs.
    So says the bloke commenting on a social media site about other people not having anything better to do than comment on social media sites. Plus, insulting over 400000 Welsh residents as having ‘not much going on upstairs’ is a bit of a sweeping statement and indicative of a lack of a bit of the old grey matter on your behalf. Typical Labour posturing and ranting when something starts to go badly wrong. Trying to defend this idiotic policy is more akin to polishing a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I'm more worried about the other 400 thousand odd clowns. Paints a backward image of society in Wales. Same thing witht the Covid measures and brexit. As you say though, too many people with too much time on their hands and not much going on upstairs.
    20 mph speed limits have seemingly little impact on crashes, casualties or driver speed according to a three year study.

https://www.qub.ac.uk/News/Allnews/2...t-crashes.html

International

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    20 mph speed limits have seemingly little impact on crashes, casualties or driver speed according to a three year study.

Marvelous, all that money, all that wasted time, all that pissing off the entire nation, all those arguments, all for nothing.

Well done Drakeford, one of your best achievements to date!

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

And the same researcher's study in Edinburgh found that deaths were cut by a quarter and injuries by a third.
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2022/slowi...s-by-a-quarter

"The Belfast scheme, which was restricted to city centre streets, led to a 2 per cent drop in casualties and collisions, and minor reductions.

Researchers say results reflect the scheme’s narrower reach and its implementation in an area where traffic speeds were already low prior to the trial – on average less than 20mph"