+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

20mph online petition

International

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'd stick with the 20 if Drippy retired instead, but signed again.

It's on 133,000. Quite something for a petition to the senedd.

I heard Lee Waters on the radio yesterday, the day of its launch, and already sounded like he was rowing back on it..saying some roads may go back to 30 etc.

They know theyve messed up tbh

International

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

I heard Lee Waters on the radio yesterday, the day of its launch, and already sounded like he was rowing back on it..saying some roads may go back to 30 etc.

Their argument is fewer people die if hit at 20mph no shit, why not make it 3mph then and on the motorways too if that's the case?

90% of people are ignoring anyway, it's a waste of money and time.

Motorways to 50 or 40 will be next if they get away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Their argument is fewer people die if hit at 20mph no shit, why not make it 3mph then and on the motorways too if that's the case?

It wouldn’t be the first time !
    In the 70’s, when the fuel crisis was on, motorways were reduced to 50mph, actually I don’t think that’s ever been repealed !!!

I still got my petrol ration book, never got around to using it

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Spent 15 mins just now queuing to get through the lights on allensbank rd by the hospital/ wedal rd. avoid at all costs unless you need a quick Power Nap in the car, in which case not moving at all for 10 mins is perfect. Another great job by cardiff council putting in the bike lane but completely screwing up the lights so now constant engines running and traffic jams all along allensbank rd.

They didn’t say how many died in the 30 zones though did they? Just a load of political guff as usual

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    They didn’t say how many died in the 30 zones though did they? Just a load of political guff as usual
    Or, perhaps more importantly, how fast the vehicle was travelling.

Signed. For what it's worth I'm fully supportive of introducing 20mph in selected spots. But it needs to be the exception.

Some doctors have dismissed this as total codswallop, they say at 30mph, the car will hit a person and the person will bounce off (obviously still injuring themselves)
    At 20mph, the car will actually run over the person, squashing them.

Doctors saying this, not me !

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Some doctors have dismissed this as total codswallop, they say at 30mph, the car will hit a person and the person will bounce off (obviously still injuring themselves)

the doctors saying this are full of shit.

lots of evidence to show that collisions at 20mph are a lot less dangerous than those at 30, not to Mention the fact that they happen much less frequently

Fair play, that cracked me up.

This is a happening all around the country right now in that case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Pr...nnel=MacBarron

If the person bounces off the car at 30 then they'll hit the road with greater force, than if they got hit by a car going 20. A couple of broken legs won't kill you, but smacking your head on some tarmac at 30 will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    If the person bounces off the car at 30 then they'll hit the road with greater force, than if they got hit by a car going 20. A couple of broken legs won't kill you, but smacking your head on some tarmac at 30 will.
    This.
    One of the things that did stick with me from a speed awareness course was that it's not just the impact you hit someone that hurts them, it's the height you send them to and how much they flip to come down on either their leg or head.

More people aren't getting squashed at 20mph that's one of the most daftest posts i've read on here

In terms of the gov "rowing back", I'm pretty sure that this was always the plan. Blanket 20 then councils have more power to individually change certain roads. That seems sensible

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isn't it better for them not to step into the road at all though?

They don't make the trains travel at 20, because some idiots may want to cross the track before the train comes.

How about the planes are Cardiff airport, shouldn't they try and take off at twenty as if they hit someone on the runway they will be less hurt?

It's a load of bollox and abuse of power!

They don't make the trains travel at 20, because some idiots may want to cross the track before the train comes.
    You do know that roads and train tracks are different, right?

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    You do know that roads and train tracks are different, right?

Don’t know if you are having a laugh, but it was me who quoted that the other day talking to my knowledgeable Doctor next door. Of course I was shot down but that’s par for the course with some….

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    This.
    One of the things that did stick with me from a speed awareness course was that it's not just the impact you hit someone that hurts them, it's the height you send them to and how much they flip to come down on either their leg or head.

More people aren't getting squashed at 20mph that's one of the most daftest posts i've read on here

In terms of the gov "rowing back", I'm pretty sure that this was always the plan. Blanket 20 then councils have more power to individually change certain roads. That seems sensible
    Wait until people have points mounting up and fines, then people will really start to kick off

How about the planes are Cardiff airport, shouldn't they try and take off at twenty as if they hit someone on the runway they will be less hurt?

It's a load of bollox and abuse of power!
    Last time I looked there weren't pavements full of pedestrians alongside runways or rail tracks, with vehicles parked up blocking their view.

30 new cameras set up around cardiff overnight I hear, around the lake, heathwood rd, mainly all the routes I fkn use.

30 new cameras set up around cardiff overnight I hear, around the lake, heathwood rd, mainly all the routes I fkn use.
    Wait until their insurance premiums go up because of 20mph “SPEEDING TICKETS”, who will love Ducky then

Apparently the power to choose which roads go back to 30mph lies with the relevant local councils the road belongs to. Maybe pressure on out local councils to revert roads might be a way around it.

Again, probably like lots of others, 20mph zones are a great idea for certain areas, near schools, places with lots of pedestrians etc but for a good 75% it seems bonkers to blanket set it to 20.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Apparently the power to choose which roads go back to 30mph lies with the relevant local councils the road belongs to. Maybe pressure on out local councils to revert roads might be a way around it.

Again, probably like lots of others, 20mph zones are a great idea for certain areas, near schools, places with lots of pedestrians etc but for a good 75% it seems bonkers to blanket set it to 20.
    Thornhill, Caerphilly Roads, were like a car park this morning

Thornhill, Caerphilly Roads, were like a car park this morning
    I ve driven from north Cardiff to splott the last 2 days and it's been basically normal rush hour traffic