I'm going to hop onto my soap box here and this is what I think is the crux of the matter.

Roads. What are they there for? In terms of usage, they are used mainly by vehicles; cars, buses, lorries, taxis etc, things with engines. Occasionally cyclists will use them, though the number of cyclists is very low compared with the rest. Pedestrians don't really use them, they use pavements but will also have to cross these roads from time to time.

So, given the frequency of what uses roads the most, shouldn't they be geared to making sure traffic moves smoothly and safely?

Roads are unsafe places. If I got run over I'd have either been run over by a lunatic who wasn't driving properly, or I'd have made a huge error of judgement. In 45 years I haven't been run over. Virtually all of my friends have never been run over, either. I reckon most people who are run over by a car have only themselves to blame, unless there's obvious fault on the side of the driver. The closest I ever got to running someone over was in Tonypandy - a guy walked out almost straight in front of me looking at his phone, oblivious of anything. If I'd have knocked him over I would have felt absolutely awful, but it would never have been my fault. Years ago my dad ran over a pedestrian on a motorway - he was suicidal and did it to end his life; there was never any blame attached to my dad, but he had to attend inquests and all sorts. Horrible for him and he considered quitting a career he'd spent his life doing and was really good at.

I have yet to hear from anyone that they object to 20mph limits in side streets, where there are schools and so on. At the moment we have lots of 20mph sections of road where there's no logical reason to do so. Main roads need to move traffic onwards. People have to get somewhere. Sadly the way things work in the UK means that people often have less time to do things than ever before.

Education is far better than ever before. Youngsters know the dangers of roads better than in my generation. Casualties, deaths etc on roads keep falling year by year.