+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's not if the public accepts idiotic abuse of power where does it end?

The anti-vaxers used to threaten this, and I laughed at them but I now realise they were right, you can't drive five miles and go outdoors on a beach, you can't drive at more than 20mph where it's perfectly safe to do so, why?
    Of course it is absurd. I'll happily have a wager with you that they won't make all motorways in Wales 20 mph and reduce other roads to 3mph - you know it is completely absurd though so you won't take it.

This change will save lives and will barely inconvenience anyone in any meaningful way

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Of course it is absurd. I'll happily have a wager with you that they won't make all motorways in Wales 20 mph and reduce other roads to 3mph - you know it is completely absurd though so you won't take it.

This change will save lives and will barely inconvenience anyone in any meaningful way
    Both are illogical and unnecessary who decides whether it's 20mph 15mph or 3mph?

The motorway has already dropped to 50mph and the A470 to 50mph, cars are ten times safer and have ABS and airbags everywhere and the speed limits are 33% less than they were 58 years ago.

Both are illogical and unnecessary who decides whether it's 20mph 15mph or 3mph?

The motorway has already dropped to 50mph and the A470 to 50mph, cars are ten times safer and have ABS and airbags everywhere and the speed limits are 33% less than they were 58 years ago.

20 MPH in residential areas are being introduced in many places around the world, because it is a good idea.

Yes cars are safer now, but there are a lot more of them on the road than there were 58 years ago, and the people driving them haven't got any better at it. Motorway speeds are generally slowed to ease congestion due to high volume of traffic, rather than safety

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    I love the way the Dictator tries to compare little old Wales to Spain when it comes to traffic accidents…..anyone who has had the non pleasure of driving around Spain in the last 30 years will know exactly what I mean…..

International

20 MPH in residential areas are being introduced in many places around the world, because it is a good idea.

Yes cars are safer now, but there are a lot more of them on the road than there were 58 years ago, and the people driving them haven't got any better at it. Motorway speeds are generally slowed to ease congestion due to high volume of traffic, rather than safety
    North Korea, China and Russia probably.

I would suggest the standard of driving has got considerably worse in the last 10 years or so. I drive a fair amount and the risks people take are frightening, along with numerous examples of very aggressive driving.

again, being absurd

International

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    I would suggest the standard of driving has got considerably worse in the last 10 years or so. I drive a fair amount and the risks people take are frightening, along with numerous examples of very aggressive driving.
    The aggression and road rage incidents will significantly increase as people will get frustrated by having to plod around at 15mph, and they will take more risks overtaking in places they never had to before.

I'm sure more pedestrians will get hit as a direct result of this, people checking speed and looking for cameras, and people overtaking in residential areas, which up to now has been rare.

The aggression and road rage incidents will significantly increase as people will get frustrated by having to plod around at 15mph, and they will take more risks overtaking in places they never had to before.

I'm sure more pedestrians will get hit as a direct result of this, people checking speed and looking for cameras, and people overtaking in residential areas, which up to now has been rare.
    that hasn't happened anywhere else it has been introduced.

So far everyone seems to be driving around in a much more relaxed state tbh

You are confusing things there. The 50mph limits on the A470 and M4 are for air quality reasons and are where those roads get very close to residential areas (and last thing I saw were working I believe?).

The 20mph limit is in residential areas where car safety improvements don't mean much for pedestrians hit by cars ,especially when you consider the absolute tractors that people are now driving around in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I reckon it's about people not liking being told what to do when it's so stupid, when it flies in the face of common sense.
    In your opinion Eric. I think it's a non starter in a city. It may we'll be different in more rural areas, but I'm sure that the speed limit will be 30 in the less populated areas, which is fast enough in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    You are confusing things there. The 50mph limits on the A470 and M4 are for air quality reasons and are where those roads get very close to residential areas (and last thing I saw were working I believe?).

The 20mph limit is in residential areas where car safety improvements don't mean much for pedestrians hit by cars ,especially when you consider the absolute tractors that people are now driving around in.
    People will reduce their speed because of this, even if they are going over the 20 mph limit. That's a good thing in my opinion.

that hasn't happened anywhere else it has been introduced.

So far everyone seems to be driving around in a much more relaxed state tbh
    Christ you talk some bollocks fair play…..do you drive? My mothers carers visit her 4 times a day, first call by 9am, the earliest they get there now is 10.30/11, all of them are in a right state…system is breaking down, oldies falling over or sitting in wet nappies for hours on end. Everything is so relaxed out there mind

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Christ you talk some bollocks fair play…..do you drive? My mothers carers visit her 4 times a day, first call by 9am, the earliest they get there now is 10.30/11, all of them are in a right state…system is breaking down, oldies falling over or sitting in wet nappies for hours on end. Everything is so relaxed out there mind
    Yes I drive, every day
    other than rush hour traffic has been moving completely freely around cardiff every time I've been out and about, the only traffic problems I've encountered during rush hour have been on roads that aren't affected by the change to 20 mph (A470 predominately).

If "oldies are sitting in nappies for hours" that probably has a lot more to do with the chronic shortage of carers in the system rather than that some of their journey is a little bit slower.

Im sorry but you should be complaining. A 2 hour delay for a 1st call which was 9.00??

Im out and about on calls and the delay should be in minutes (under 5) for each with no delay for 1st.

I dont see how a 2 hour delay can be justified because of a 20mph speed limit.

The care system is broken yes, so maybe that's the reason a 9 oclock call isn't being made on time. A speed limit reduction during rush hour will not cause a 90 minute delay.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The care system is broken yes, so maybe that's the reason a 9 oclock call isn't being made on time. A speed limit reduction during rush hour will not cause a 90 minute delay.
    I worked in the care system for 8 years, part time, while the kids were little. I can tell you it's an absolute shit show, with some service users (horrible Phrase) not even getting a call, or agencies shoe horning in calls between calls and not letting the client know that the carers are going to be late. Zero hour, not enough staff, shit pay, too much work and a tender system that sees the care going to the lowest bidder. It's a shit show, and has been for years, and the poor carers are the ones who take the brunt of the frustration from families and clients. Try telling a client that you weren't there for 8am because you went to see two other people first, this after they have had that slot for a long time. I'd be blaming Drakeford as well if it saves me an hour of grief when i turn up

None of this will happen, only in your wish list. How many more scenarios are you going to invent? It was trains and planes earlier on, there can't be many more left.

One thing's for sure from this and the other 20mph threads. And how certain poster(s) mention 20mph at every opportunity in unrelated threads.

Some people are totally consumed by this small change.

I hope I don't get like that when i'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I worked in the care system for 8 years, part time, while the kids were little. I can tell you it's an absolute shit show, with some service users (horrible Phrase) not even getting a call, or agencies shoe horning in calls between calls and not letting the client know that the carers are going to be late. Zero hour, not enough staff, shit pay, too much work and a tender system that sees the care going to the lowest bidder. It's a shit show, and has been for years, and the poor carers are the ones who take the brunt of the frustration from families and clients. Try telling a client that you weren't there for 8am because you went to see two other people first, this after they have had that slot for a long time. I'd be blaming Drakeford as well if it saves me an hour of grief when i turn up
    I'm fully aware how crap it is. We have carers for one of our kids who's profoundly disabled. Last year the care agency withdrew their package by calling us late on a Friday, with it coming into affect the following Monday. We both work so I had to reduce my hours until we got a replacement sorted (it took 6 weeks). We've also recently lost 1 of our carers, so are looking for someone to cover 10 hours a week. Can't find anyone at the mo. If we cant find anyone soon, i might have to permanently reduce my hours. People can get paid more at Lidl and also Brexit has had a massive detrimental effect on the number of people working as carers.
    Anyway, back to the thread - a new 20mph limit would not cause anyone, carer or not, to be 90 minutes late for an appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I'm fully aware how crap it is. We have carers for one of our kids who's profoundly disabled. Last year the care agency withdrew their package by calling us late on a Friday, with it coming into affect the following Monday. We both work so I had to reduce my hours until we got a replacement sorted (it took 6 weeks). We've also recently lost 1 of our carers, so are looking for someone to cover 10 hours a week. Can't find anyone at the mo. If we cant find anyone soon, i might have to permanently reduce my hours. People can get paid more at Lidl and also Brexit has had a massive detrimental effect on the number of people working as carers.
    Anyway, back to the thread - a new 20mph limit would not cause anyone, carer or not, to be 90 minutes late for an appointment.
    You have my full sympathy mate. I've seen it first hand, although i could go home at night and get on with my life, you have to battle away with these agencies on a regular basis. It's disgusting, and it's because it's all profit driven. I wish you and your family the very best. Same with Goats and his mum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You have my full sympathy mate. I've seen it first hand, although i could go home at night and get on with my life, you have to battle away with these agencies on a regular basis. It's disgusting, and it's because it's all profit driven. I wish you and your family the very best. Same with Goats and his mum.
    Cheers. Don't fancy returning to the profession do you? 😊

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    One thing's for sure from this and the other 20mph threads. And how certain poster(s) mention 20mph at every opportunity in unrelated threads.

Some people are totally consumed by this small change.

I hope I don't get like that when i'm old.
    They would have been like it when they were 20. I'm sure that there are people who just think 20mph is too slow in built up areas, that's their thing, they can carry on moaning about it, but there's a large element of people who just don't like being told what to do by the state, and they're not doing a very good job of disguising it. 20mph in built up areas isn't really a sacrifice, is it? I'd even say that it's polite and considerate. We've had trains don't have to slow down, or planes as an excuse, what if people are in a rush, the economy is going to crash, the roads will take more wear and tear, Wales will become a ghost town. I'll say it quietly, but i don't think that the people who are coming up with these scenarios really care about any of that stuff, they just care about themselves.

There has been research done in Llantwit Major that says that the slowing down of cars has increased the amount of kids walking to school, because their parents feel it's safer for them to do so, so less traffic on the road and kids getting a bit of exercise. Isn't that a good thing? I'm not saying that Drakeford is great, or Welsh Labour, but this new speed limit in built up areas is a positive thing in my opinion, and other countries will follow, i'm sure of that.