+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Cheers. Don't fancy returning to the profession do you? ��
    I'm done now mate, supplemented my income when the kids were small and the missus wasn't in work, hard times Although if i can help you in any way, then contact me mate, no problem at all

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Im sorry but you should be complaining. A 2 hour delay for a 1st call which was 9.00??

Im out and about on calls and the delay should be in minutes (under 5) for each with no delay for 1st.

I dont see how a 2 hour delay can be justified because of a 20mph speed limit.
    I’m about too….not sure if they are using it as an excuse to be honest, it’s slow as between 8-9 am and has been for ages, far worse where I live as all the students are back in UWH and the cycle lanes have absolutely ruined the streets around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    They would have been like it when they were 20. I'm sure that there are people who just think 20mph is too slow in built up areas, that's their thing, they can carry on moaning about it, but there's a large element of people who just don't like being told what to do by the state, and they're not doing a very good job of disguising it. 20mph in built up areas isn't really a sacrifice, is it? I'd even say that it's polite and considerate. We've had trains don't have to slow down, or planes as an excuse, what if people are in a rush, the economy is going to crash, the roads will take more wear and tear, Wales will become a ghost town. I'll say it quietly, but i don't think that the people who are coming up with these scenarios really care about any of that stuff, they just care about themselves.

There has been research done in Llantwit Major that says that the slowing down of cars has increased the amount of kids walking to school, because their parents feel it's safer for them to do so, so less traffic on the road and kids getting a bit of exercise. Isn't that a good thing? I'm not saying that Drakeford is great, or Welsh Labour, but this new speed limit in built up areas is a positive thing in my opinion, and other countries will follow, i'm sure of that.
    It’s slow in most cardiff suburbs anyway and has been for ages, the most annoying thing now is when I drift off driving along by the rec, the lake, heathwood rd or many others with no traffic about at 10 am chances are I’ve got another three points coming…..it’s going to take some time to adjust and believe me I’m not a fast driver and never owned a fast car, maybe then should just keep finding people or change the points system? People will end up losing their licences left right and centre

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The care system is broken yes, so maybe that's the reason a 9 oclock call isn't being made on time. A speed limit reduction during rush hour will not cause a 90 minute delay.
    Oh don’t worry I’m fully aware how broken it is….I don’t think she ever sees the same carers for more than a month, then they are gone….I’m not sure what’s happened nut for the first 6 months they were never later than 9 am, last two weeks never there before 11.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    One thing's for sure from this and the other 20mph threads. And how certain poster(s) mention 20mph at every opportunity in unrelated threads.

Some people are totally consumed by this small change.

I hope I don't get like that when i'm old.
    The Tories on here are like dogs with bones aren’t they, I suppose it helps mind that you can be for or against the 20 mph limit and still be backing party policy

There are a few on Facebook who really are obsessed with this. It is obviously a Tory campaign now and they’ve forgotten their role in the agreement of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    There are a few on Facebook who really are obsessed with this. It is obviously a Tory campaign now and they’ve forgotten their role in the agreement of it.
    Same when Blair packed the troops off to Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

something to do with Ian Rush?
    No.5

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Tories on here are like dogs with bones aren’t they, I suppose it helps mind that you can be for or against the 20 mph limit and still be backing party policy
    As far as I’m aware , it’s hardly a Tory campaign is it , more so when you consider the amount of signatures on the petition is in excess of 385,000 adults.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    As far as I’m aware , it’s hardly a Tory campaign is it , more so when you consider the amount of signatures on the petition is in excess of 385,000 adults.
    Absolutely. It's pissing people off across the political spectrum.

Today I had a knob jockey doing 20mph in a 40 zone. It's confused lots of people. It's been an utter disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Today I had a knob jockey doing 20mph in a 40 zone. It's confused lots of people. It's been an utter disaster.
    give it a week and even the knob heads will have worked it out

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Both are illogical and unnecessary who decides whether it's 20mph 15mph or 3mph?

The motorway has already dropped to 50mph and the A470 to 50mph, cars are ten times safer and have ABS and airbags everywhere and the speed limits are 33% less than they were 58 years ago.
    Cars may be ten times safer, but pedestrian design hasn't moved forward quite as fast...

give it a week and even the knob heads will have worked it out
    You really think so?

I'm going to hop onto my soap box here and this is what I think is the crux of the matter.

Roads. What are they there for? In terms of usage, they are used mainly by vehicles; cars, buses, lorries, taxis etc, things with engines. Occasionally cyclists will use them, though the number of cyclists is very low compared with the rest. Pedestrians don't really use them, they use pavements but will also have to cross these roads from time to time.

So, given the frequency of what uses roads the most, shouldn't they be geared to making sure traffic moves smoothly and safely?

Roads are unsafe places. If I got run over I'd have either been run over by a lunatic who wasn't driving properly, or I'd have made a huge error of judgement. In 45 years I haven't been run over. Virtually all of my friends have never been run over, either. I reckon most people who are run over by a car have only themselves to blame, unless there's obvious fault on the side of the driver. The closest I ever got to running someone over was in Tonypandy - a guy walked out almost straight in front of me looking at his phone, oblivious of anything. If I'd have knocked him over I would have felt absolutely awful, but it would never have been my fault. Years ago my dad ran over a pedestrian on a motorway - he was suicidal and did it to end his life; there was never any blame attached to my dad, but he had to attend inquests and all sorts. Horrible for him and he considered quitting a career he'd spent his life doing and was really good at.

I have yet to hear from anyone that they object to 20mph limits in side streets, where there are schools and so on. At the moment we have lots of 20mph sections of road where there's no logical reason to do so. Main roads need to move traffic onwards. People have to get somewhere. Sadly the way things work in the UK means that people often have less time to do things than ever before.

Education is far better than ever before. Youngsters know the dangers of roads better than in my generation. Casualties, deaths etc on roads keep falling year by year.

I'm going to hop onto my soap box here and this is what I think is the crux of the matter.

Roads. What are they there for? In terms of usage, they are used mainly by vehicles; cars, buses, lorries, taxis etc, things with engines. Occasionally cyclists will use them, though the number of cyclists is very low compared with the rest. Pedestrians don't really use them, they use pavements but will also have to cross these roads from time to time.

So, given the frequency of what uses roads the most, shouldn't they be geared to making sure traffic moves smoothly and safely?

Roads are unsafe places. If I got run over I'd have either been run over by a lunatic who wasn't driving properly, or I'd have made a huge error of judgement. In 45 years I haven't been run over. Virtually all of my friends have never been run over, either. I reckon most people who are run over by a car have only themselves to blame, unless there's obvious fault on the side of the driver. The closest I ever got to running someone over was in Tonypandy - a guy walked out almost straight in front of me looking at his phone, oblivious of anything. If I'd have knocked him over I would have felt absolutely awful, but it would never have been my fault. Years ago my dad ran over a pedestrian on a motorway - he was suicidal and did it to end his life; there was never any blame attached to my dad, but he had to attend inquests and all sorts. Horrible for him and he considered quitting a career he'd spent his life doing and was really good at.

I have yet to hear from anyone that they object to 20mph limits in side streets, where there are schools and so on. At the moment we have lots of 20mph sections of road where there's no logical reason to do so. Main roads need to move traffic onwards. People have to get somewhere. Sadly the way things work in the UK means that people often have less time to do things than ever before.

Education is far better than ever before. Youngsters know the dangers of roads better than in my generation. Casualties, deaths etc on roads keep falling year by year.
    Just the truth .

On my detour through Newport on the way home after the Jacks game, the Mrs says to me " how fast you going ", I have it on cruise control and its bang on 30mph, thats too fast she says, no no I reply, its 30 here, look at the signs, no 30 is 20 in Wales now, so I slow down ( no cruise control as its too slow for it ) it seems every idiot was determined to blast past me at 40 mph, I was glad to get back on the M4 and open the engine up and do 50 mph

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but I think the move to electric cars is another reason this change has been brought in. Electric cars having no engine noise removing the chance of hearing cars pass by, the amount of people on their phones, not checking before stepping out, kids chasing a football into the street etc means I feel the amount of pedestrian v car collisions would naturally go up.

Maybe the idea is by reducing cars speed in all built up areas will negate this from happening as much?

Hasn’t that always been the way? There’s always been slow drivers, used to call them Sunday drivers (before Sunday became just another day). The speed limit maybe be 40mph but that exactly what it is, the limit, it doesn’t mean you have to drive at 40mph, you just don’t go above it. It’s always been frustrating being stuck behind someone tootling along at a snail’s pace but that’s nothing to do with what’s been brought in. I’ve always been of the opinion that ultra slow drivers are pretty dangerous and I think some have been pulled over to explain their cautiousness but if they’re below the limit they’d argue that they’re driving within the law.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hasn’t that always been the way? There’s always been slow drivers, used to call them Sunday drivers (before Sunday became just another day). The speed limit maybe be 40mph but that exactly what it is, the limit, it doesn’t mean you have to drive at 40mph, you just don’t go above it. It’s always been frustrating being stuck behind someone tootling along at a snail’s pace but that’s nothing to do with what’s been brought in. I’ve always been of the opinion that ultra slow drivers are pretty dangerous and I think some have been pulled over to explain their cautiousness but if they’re below the limit they’d argue that they’re driving within the law.
    The problem with the 20mph speed limit ,or any other for that matter , is that it’s not a target, its “up to” the speed that’s been designated, so drivers are going to be driving slower than they should be alot of the time.

You really think so?
    I dont think so, I saw someone in a Land Rover overtaking people on a 20mph rd yesterday, god knows what they were thinking…..

In 45 years I haven't been run over. Virtually all of my friends have never been run over, either. I reckon most people who are run over by a car have only themselves to blame, unless there's obvious fault on the side of the driver.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
    "Another kind of survivorship bias would involve thinking that an incident was not all that dangerous because the only people who were involved in the incident who can speak about it are those who survived it. Even if one knew that some people are dead, they would not have their voice to add to the conversation, leading to bias in the conversation"

Yes I drive, every day
    other than rush hour traffic has been moving completely freely around cardiff every time I've been out and about, the only traffic problems I've encountered during rush hour have been on roads that aren't affected by the change to 20 mph (A470 predominately).

If "oldies are sitting in nappies for hours" that probably has a lot more to do with the chronic shortage of carers in the system rather than that some of their journey is a little bit slower.
    The care system is down to the Tories

Utter nightmare of privatisation

Maybe it won't be helped by this 20 mph thing but it's completely ruined thanks to them anyway

A YouGov poll now showing big opposition to it.

The response from the WG all feels a bit like it's a legacy from covid times doesn't it?

Fairly blanket imposition, response of 'here to keep you safe' etc and not much else.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...ition-27769624

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I dont think so, I saw someone in a Land Rover overtaking people on a 20mph rd yesterday, god knows what they were thinking…..
    If the person he was overtaking was going slower and he could pass at 20/22 on his speedo then he is quite entitled to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The care system is down to the Tories

Utter nightmare of privatisation

Maybe it won't be helped by this 20 mph thing but it's completely ruined thanks to them anyway
    Literally every truth in the universe, you will twist and squeeze and push through the tiny pinhole of 'its the Tories fault'.

It's been devolved to the Welsh Govt since 2011. Stop lying.

And yes, 20mph won't help. The lady in the flat next to mine has visitors three times a day and they have commented that it makes their job harder as they have to factor in greater downtime between visits.