+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I doubt that's true, and even if so how many miles of 70mph motorway are there and how many are there of 30mph?

How many people died on each not had an accident, you're trying to change the narrative.

How many on 70mph roads not only motorways?

You've probably thrown in the A roads and stuff with the 30mph roads.

If not you are trying to say it's safer to be hit at 70mph that 30mph.
    It's strange how you and other posters are so happy to just say that any data you don't agree with is untrue. It's all published and completely open to anyone who would want to challenge it (unlike the stats of blokes on Reddit or 'that guy' everyone ignores in the local pub) . You can find the 2022 figures here :https://www.gov.wales/police-recorde...ions-2022-html

I'm sure you'll just dismiss it (unlike that one post from a guy in Poland who you jumped on despite him actually saying that lowering speed limits only worked once speeding idiots were also forced to slow down by humps) but it includes data about your great theory that injured and killed pedestrians are at fault because you have never been hit by a car. I won't spoil it for you but it might just be time to finally give up on that dream of being a data scientist sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Two million+ people haven’t signed any petition because it most probably doesn't bother them too much because they’ve got a lot of other things that are more important to them going on in their life.
    only 1.1million voted in the last election in wales and that's after they got posted a polling card and a given a local place to vote, so just under 429,000 people actively looking for a petition on the internet because they don't agree is very different to concluding 2m+ do agree

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    only 1.1million voted in the last election in wales and that's after they got posted a polling card and a given a local place to vote, so just under 429,000 people actively looking for a petition on the internet because they don't agree is very different to concluding 2m+ do agree
    Are you saying it's less effort to sign an online petition than go out and vote? And what evidence do you have to support that people actively looked for the petition, rather than their friends/family sending them a link?

I'm not saying either are particularly difficult, but it's quite clearly easier to sign an online petition.

I'd also be interested in seeing how many of the 429,000 voted in the last Senedd election (or indeed, how many would be eligible to vote!)

[QUOTE=FungoFurore;5457112]Are you saying it's less effort to sign an online petition than go out and vote? And what evidence do you have to support that people actively looked for the petition, rather than their friends/family sending them a link?

I'm not saying either are particularly difficult, but it's quite clearly easier to sign an online petition.

I'd also be interested in seeing how many of the 429,000 voted in the last Senedd election (or indeed, how many would be eligible to vote!)[/QUOT

20mph petition: 'No evidence of duplication or tampering', Senedd say

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2023-...enedd-petition

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Who said 2million+ agree? I said 2million+ haven't signed any petition because they’re aren’t that bothered. I think you’ve made it up that I said 2million+ agree

So you want motorways to drop to 20?

There is significantly more chance of people dying in accidents at 70mph than thirty?

How about dropping the alcohol in beer from 4% to 1%, so fewer people get pissed and die in accidents?

It's all made-up nonsense to show they can do what they like and some people will believe whatever they say.

Unbelievably they are correct some people do.
    And the trains, don’t forget the trains

I blame locking down too long for all of it

My first encounter today. Entering Monmouth on the Hereford Road, a handful of Bungalows & it’s now 20mph. I agree a mile further on where the school is but where the 20mph sign is is going to catch out most motorists.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    My first encounter today. Entering Monmouth on the Hereford Road, a handful of Bungalows & it’s now 20mph. I agree a mile further on where the school is but where the 20mph sign is is going to catch out most motorists.
    Yet in Glyncoch, Pontypridd, there's a primary school on a main road where the limit is 40mph.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’ve cut down the days now, I leave on Sunday for a Wednesday start, finish about one on Thursday, get home around about Saturday dinner time.....mind you this is for a job near Victoria Park, any further away, say, Fairwater or Ely and board & lodge would obviously kick in. I’m actually driving to work at the moment, just hit The Royal Oak after driving all last night & today, that bloody WAG won’t capture me. Thanks for your sincere concern
    Wednesday start and finish at one on Thursday
    Not much has changed then 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Wednesday start and finish at one on Thursday
    Not much has changed then ������
    I hate missing dinner time on a Thursday though Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yet in Glyncoch, Pontypridd, there's a primary school on a main road where the limit is 40mph.
    The school is in a residential area and on a 20mph road. The back of it is on the main road leading to Ynysbwl. Ive no idea at school times if there are many or any parents and children walking along that part of the main road. If there are then maybe they should look at reducing it for a certain section of it.

I've been dangerously overtaken and been tailgated a few times in central Cardiff over the last few days, wankers flashing me in built up areas near schools 🤦*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    in 2022 there were 58 people killed or seriously injured on motorways with 70mph speed limits in Wales, and on 30mph roads there were 421 people killed or seriously injured
    Little table - speed limit, percentage of roads in Wales with that speed limit, percentage of accidents with fatalities or serious injury

20 2.5% 4.1%
    30 37.4% 41.5%
    40 2.4% 9.5%
    50 1.3% 6.5%
    60 54.9% 32.6%
    70 1.7% 5.7%

So, for example 20mph speed limits - 2.5% of roads in 2022 in Wales had a 20mph speed limit, but 4.1% of all road accidents where there were fatalities or serious injury occurred on 20mph roads. Only 60mph roads had a far lower percentage of overall fataties/serious injuries than the amount of 60mph roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The school is in a residential area and on a 20mph road. The back of it is on the main road leading to Ynysbwl. Ive no idea at school times if there are many or any parents and children walking along that part of the main road. If there are then maybe they should look at reducing it for a certain section of it.
    But there are also several junctions in that section. I cannot understand why that is a 40mph road when there are lots of roads around the area where there's nothing at all but have 20mph speed limits. I understand you live in the Cynon Valley. Take the road up to Cefn Pennar. From the bowls club up to the start of the housing is just over half a mile. Apart from a couple of junctions there's nothing until you get to Cefn Pennar, yet it's all 20mph road. Barmy.

anyone think this will hit the tourist trade in Wales ?

an article from the shropshire star

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...urism--claims/

i would have thought a bit too early to tell

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    anyone think this will hit the tourist trade in Wales ?

an article from the shropshire star

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...urism--claims/

i would have thought a bit too early to tell
    No. I just think its one of several over reactions that the press have jumped on, when it's too soon to gauge any long term effects so far. A bit like the guy who claimed last week that it had ruined his delivery business, after just 3 days of the new limit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    No. I just think its one of several over reactions that the press have jumped on, when it's too soon to gauge any long term effects so far. A bit like the guy who claimed last week that it had ruined his delivery business, after just 3 days of the new limit.
    To be honest, there are areas where people are ignoring it, so it won't make much of a difference, but at times it wll.

My second drive into Porth for the Monday morning shop since the 20 mph limit was introduced and, just like the first one, it took me longer than normal and it was bumper to bumper as I approached Aldis. A journey that normally takes about twenty to twenty five minutes is taking about ten minutes longer now. I’d say what’s happening is that having to drive at a reduced speed for about three quarters of the trip is adding a few minutes to it which means I’m getting caught up in rush hour traffic which doesn’t last very long - both times the queuing was much reduced when it came to driving home about half an hour later and the return leg of my trip is not taking as long as my outward journey.

It’s being stuck in traffic when I didn’t used to be which is annoying, not having to drive a bit slower, but my experience, on this drive at least, is that the measure is adding a few minutes to the drive which appears to be making a big difference, so I’ll try leaving about ten minutes earlier next week and see what happens.

International

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I've been dangerously overtaken and been tailgated a few times in central Cardiff over the last few days, wankers flashing me in built up areas near schools ��*♂️
    That's what will happen if you make up daft rules, the remaining two deny it, good for you to confirm it for them

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My second drive into Porth for the Monday morning shop since the 20 mph limit was introduced and, just like the first one, it took me longer than normal and it was bumper to bumper as I approached Aldis. A journey that normally takes about twenty to twenty five minutes is taking about ten minutes longer now. I’d say what’s happening is that having to drive at a reduced speed for about three quarters of the trip is adding a few minutes to it which means I’m getting caught up in rush hour traffic which doesn’t last very long - both times the queuing was much reduced when it came to driving home about half an hour later and the return leg of my trip is not taking as long as my outward journey.

It’s being stuck in traffic when I didn’t used to be which is annoying, not having to drive a bit slower, but my experience, on this drive at least, is that the measure is adding a few minutes to the drive which appears to be making a big difference, so I’ll try leaving about ten minutes earlier next week and see what happens.
    Bob when people are retired and don't have to make too many trips, that's a bit annoying if you were thirty five and had to travel to say, Cardiff City Centre every day, for the next thirty years I would imagine it would feel more than annoying for you, especially as it's not really been done for a reason other than to say they've done it different in Wales butt!

In a few years, it will affect me less, but that's not the point, it affects me a lot now and it's just to prove a point.

It's not 20mph though. Despite previous comments on this thread to the contrary, speedometers are usually set slightly below the actual reading. The AA and RAC confirm this and you can go 33mph past the smiley face sign and it won't go red and angry.

If someone doesn't want to break 20mph they're probably concentrating on keeping around 18/19mph. They could actually be doing 15/16 mph. I think Drakeford would prefer I jumped on public transport to catch 4 buses, walk around 100 yards outward and 300 yards back, carrying the 2 x 50litre bags of compost I got from the Garden Centre..

That's what will happen if you make up daft rules, the remaining two deny it, good for you to confirm it for them
    An impatient driver travelling behind someone doing 30, will be an impatient driver travelling behind someone doing 20.
    What is there to gain by overtaking other than some sort of moral victory, burning extra fuel to overtake and being 1 car further along when they inevitably join the next queue of traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I know that the some buses coming down from Blaencwm are arriving in Ponty as much as 20 minutes late, despite leaving on time. Stagecoach originally claimed that 20mph would make no difference to timetables.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    An impatient driver travelling behind someone doing 30, will be an impatient driver travelling behind someone doing 20.
    What is there to gain by overtaking other than some sort of moral victory, burning extra fuel to overtake and being 1 car further along when they inevitably join the next queue of traffic?
    No there was a far lower percentage of people that wanted to travel over 30mph in built-up areas, maybe 10%.

At 20mph I am impatient and so are probably 75% of people, a lot more people will overtake and tailgate and beep, it's split the public again.

Drakeford's daft rules like don't travel five miles and Boris's daft don't meet your family or friends were also largely ignored.

No there was a far lower percentage of people that wanted to travel over 30mph in built-up areas, maybe 10%.

At 20mph I am impatient and so are probably 75% of people, a lot more people will overtake and tailgate and beep, it's split the public again.

Drakeford's daft rules like don't travel five miles and Boris's daft don't meet your family or friends were also largely ignored.
    Maybe 10%/probably 75%. You're random statistics are a joy to behold.