+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Marvelous, all that money, all that wasted time, all that pissing off the entire nation, all those arguments, all for nothing.

Well done Drakeford, one of your best achievements to date!
    Pissing off the entire nation

I’d rather that things had stayed as they were, but I can live with the new regulations - I’d be absolutely amazed if I was unique in thinking like that.

[QUOTE=caerkid;5457588]And the same researcher's study in Edinburgh found that deaths were cut by a quarter and injuries by a third.
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2022/slowi...s-by-a-quarter

"The Belfast scheme, which was restricted to city centre streets, led to a 2 per cent drop in casualties and collisions, and minor reductions.

Researchers say results reflect the scheme’s narrower reach and its implementation in an area where traffic speeds were already low prior to the trial – on average less than 20mph"[/QUOTE

20mph speed limits have 'little impact on road deaths or crashes', according to new research In the wales online

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...mpact-25526523

[QUOTE=TWGL1;5457594]
    Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    And the same researcher's study in Edinburgh found that deaths were cut by a quarter and injuries by a third.

"The Belfast scheme, which was restricted to city centre streets, led to a 2 per cent drop in casualties and collisions, and minor reductions.

Researchers say results reflect the scheme’s narrower reach and its implementation in an area where traffic speeds were already low prior to the trial – on average less than 20mph"[/QUOTE

20mph speed limits have 'little impact on road deaths or crashes', according to new research In the wales online

That's the findings into the Belfast roll out. It found there's fewer vehicles on the road during rush hour, so maybe if anything, it'll get TOBW thinking about leaving it an hour or 2 to drive to Aldi to do his shopping 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Pissing off the entire nation

I’d rather that things had stayed as they were, but I can live with the new regulations - I’d be absolutely amazed if I was unique in thinking like that.
    I’m amazed that people are amazed that some people aren’t that bothered, not just amazed they seem annoyed that others have other things going on in their lives that are more important than speed limits.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I’m amazed that people are amazed that some people aren’t that bothered, not just amazed they seem annoyed that others have other things going on in their lives that are more important than speed limits.
    Still stuck at the lights on Newport rd......

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Still stuck at the lights on Newport rd......
    Keep up, it’s Wednesday night, I’m in an Airbnb in Shamrock Rd, Pentrebane. Set off for home after a half day tomorrow, in, changed and straight out for the Rotherham game

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Keep up, it’s Wednesday night, I’m in an Airbnb in Shamrock Rd, Pentrebane. Set off for home after a half day tomorrow, in, changed and straight out for the Rotherham game

[QUOTE=TWGL1;5457594]
    And the same researcher's study in Edinburgh found that deaths were cut by a quarter and injuries by a third.

It's the same study .The Edinburgh research I linked to ,and quoted, had far different results and included reasons why that Belfast study (which was by the same research team) had limitations.

Funny that WOL only quote the one study though . Anyone would think there was money to be made ,and votes to be won ,by making people angry

International

Tourism will be affected, so why risk £100 fine?

Accommodation has gone up too, triple council tax nonsense the tourist renters will have to pay it.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...urism--claims/

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/wales-20m...tourism-fears/

Marvelous the welsh tourism economy damaged on a whim.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...speed-27772691

Tourism will be affected, so why risk £100 fine?

Accommodation has gone up too, triple council tax nonsense the tourist renters will have to pay it.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...urism--claims/

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/wales-20m...tourism-fears/

Marvelous the welsh tourism economy damaged on a whim.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...speed-27772691

Almost a week in, other than Monday morning I've not seen much difference and quite welcome the slightly slower traffic around Heath, I don't get to other areas much so cannot comment outside the Heath area, in the morning it's 20 along Heathwood road, and crossing over the lights at the birch to Ashburton Grove, 30 mph, then 40 mph to the motorway 70 mph to the MacArthur glen exit and 50 mph to final destination all bar about 300 yards, it's been much ado about very little, this does give me a little smile tho

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So says the bloke commenting on a social media site about other people not having anything better to do than comment on social media sites. Plus, insulting over 400000 Welsh residents as having ‘not much going on upstairs’ is a bit of a sweeping statement and indicative of a lack of a bit of the old grey matter on your behalf. Typical Labour posturing and ranting when something starts to go badly wrong. Trying to defend this idiotic policy is more akin to polishing a turd.
    Oh he’s a Tory as well. As deluded in politics as he is in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Oh he’s a Tory as well. As deluded in politics as he is in football.
    No doubt you would be up in arms if wasn’t Dripfraud’s policy being implemented.

My MPG is the shittest it’s ever been since I bought the car.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    No doubt you would be up in arms if wasn’t Dripfraud’s policy being implemented.

My MPG is the shittest it’s ever been since I bought the car.
    Dripfraud?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Almost a week in, other than Monday morning I've not seen much difference and quite welcome the slightly slower traffic around Heath, I don't get to other areas much so cannot comment outside the Heath area, in the morning it's 20 along Heathwood road, and crossing over the lights at the birch to Ashburton Grove, 30 mph, then 40 mph to the motorway 70 mph to the MacArthur glen exit and 50 mph to final destination all bar about 300 yards, it's been much ado about very little, this does give me a little smile tho

We understand, that some pensioners love it, but busy people hate it and are concerned about getting points and fines for traveling at very safe speeds on wide roads.

It does seem worse in and around Lisvane, Thornhill, Rhiwbina and Whitchurch, probably due to the trial, other areas people are ignoring it.

We understand, that some pensioners love it, but busy people hate it and are concerned about getting points and fines for traveling at very safe speeds on wide roads.

It does seem worse in and around Lisvane, Thornhill, Rhiwbina and Whitchurch, probably due to the trial, other areas people are ignoring it.
    Yesterday evening I had to follow some arsehole who barely got up to 16mph. He/she continued at this snail pace when the road changed to 40mph.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yesterday evening I had to follow some arsehole who barely got up to 16mph. He/she continued at this snail pace when the road changed to 40mph.
    There are definitely some people who are doing it deliberately and are enjoying holding people up and getting some fun out of it, then cry later when they are tailgated or overtaken.

I was behind one in Porthcawl yesterday doddering at 15mph in a 30 zone, thankfully six cars overtook him, he may eventually get the message.

There are definitely some people who are doing it deliberately and are enjoying holding people up and getting some fun out of it, then cry later when they are tailgated or overtaken.

I was behind one in Porthcawl yesterday doddering at 15mph in a 30 zone, thankfully six cars overtook him, he may eventually get the message.
    Before the 17th Sept there were plenty of people on various Facebook groups wanting to organise protests, and drive slowly holding up traffic. Maybe this was one of them

Incredibly frustrating for anyone with things to do or running late and understandable that people would get frustrated. Intimidating also for the person following the speed limit who no doubt now has increased tailgating behind them

As said before, my main experience so far is that people largely ignore it. No one was driving over 20 in places where it isnt appropriate anyway (narrow residential streets with cars on both sides, schools, cul-de-sacs etc and the vast majority are ignoring 20mph on the streets where it is safe to do 30.

I guess the average speed has perhaps dropped slightly but it's notable and frustrating when you get behind someone sticking to it, and that is a ridiculous thing to feel as there should be a general consensus on speed limits really

International

Now it is getting political, easy attack lines for the conservatives to the old red wall, look what happens if you let Labour in and look at Wales and London.

Labour baning the car slowly while Conservatives have extended the date for electric cars, there are clear differences developing.

All for a whim and to be different, yes different by making yourself unpopular and not in tune with the voters.

Rishi Sunak calls Welsh 20mph law 'an attack on motorists'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...20mph-27808855

The Prime Minister has criticised Wales' new default 20mph speed limit describing it as "an attack on motorists". Rishi Sunak also said it does not reflect "the right values of British people". The 20mph law came into effect on Sunday, September 17 and resulted in a third of 30mph roads being changed to 20mph in Wales.

The Prime Minister has criticised Wales' new default 20mph speed limit describing it as "an attack on motorists". Rishi Sunak also said it does not reflect "the right values of British people".

The 20mph law came into effect on Sunday, September 17 and resulted in a third of 30mph roads being changed to 20mph in Wales. There has been backing to the new speed limit, however there has also been vocal opposition to the changes, with a petition on the Senedd website now exceeding 430,000 signatures - the most any Senedd petition has ever received.

Before the law was brought in, leader of the Commons Penny Mordaunt called it "absolutely insane" and now the Prime Minister has added his voice to the criticism in an ITV Wales interview ahead of the Conservative Party's annual conference.

When asked if he agreed with Penny Mordaunt, Mr Sunak said: "I think imposing a blanket 20 mile-an-hour speed limit on areas is absolutely not right. It doesn't reflect people's priorities. People are dependent on their cars for their day-to-day journeys and these kind of blanket bans aren't the right proportionate approach.

The Best Men's Shoes for All-Day Walking and Standing
    By reducing the load on your joints, you can stand comfortably. Ideal for everyone who is on their feet for more than 8 hours.
    CARLLO
    "But also it comes on top of this other policy not to build any new roads as well. You take these things together, it seems like an attack on motorists and that's rightly received the opposition that it deserves." To get more politics news and analysis, subscribe to our Wales Matters newlsetter here.

Conservatives have been using the term blanket ban after seeing some success in the Uxbridge byelection when they opposed London's low emissions zone. The Welsh branch of the Conservatives has been relentless in its opposition to the policy. This is a stark change to just three years ago when senior members of the Welsh Tories were calling on the Welsh Government to bring in a 20mph limit because it is a "common sense" plan.

Mr Sunak added: "You've seen the opposition from people in Wales to this policy. Look, it's not alone - a Labour mayor in London imposing the ULEZ charge, £12.50 on ordinary families when they're just trying to get their kids to school, take them to football practice, go weekly shopping or, you know, get to work.

"Those aren't the right values of the British people who do rely on their cars to get around and we should be supportive of them."

In response to the Prime Minister's comments, a Welsh Government spokesperson said that "the introduction of a default 20mph speed limit is designed to save lives and make our communities safer for everyone, including motorists".

A Welsh Government spokesperson has said: "The introduction of a 20mph speed limit in mainly residential areas is designed to save lives and make our communities safer for everyone, including motorists. It has been thoroughly researched, voted on in the Senedd and received the backing from a majority of Senedd Members. There has been extensive consultation and it has been trialled in communities across Wales."

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sunak-blo...s-20mph-roads/

Sunak to stop councils imposing 20mph roads and make it easier to challenge parking fines in 'pro-driver' package

maybe you need to get the message 30 is not a target its the maximum allowed

Of all the awful things happening the world today and we have a 34 page thread, full of angry old men moaning about a law which asks them to drive a little slower and safer. Safer for our elderly and children. Get a feckin life the lot of you.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Of all the awful things happening the world today and we have a 34 page thread, full of angry old men moaning about a law which asks them to drive a little slower and safer. Safer for our elderly and children. Get a feckin life the lot of you.
    The one thing I agree with Sunak on (but obviously for different reasons) is that the country isn't anywhere near ready to make the hard and uncomfortable decisions that will be needed in the coming years. We've got an entire entitled generation who have rarely had to sacrifice even an inch and who now see any small change as an attack on their freedom (and it's always 'their' freedom). Policies that say 'you making small changes with X would all add up to helping with Y' are never going to be accepted by these people and while I don't think they're quite the majority, they are often the loudest person in the room.

It's clear that the changes needed won't happen until that lot are gone or are safely drooling in their chairs (not too long to go though based on some of the evidence at least). I dread to think how the youngest generation will look back on this but atleast that's nothing new.

The one thing I agree with Sunak on (but obviously for different reasons) is that the country isn't anywhere near ready to make the hard and uncomfortable decisions that will be needed in the coming years. We've got an entire entitled generation who have rarely had to sacrifice even an inch and who now see any small change as an attack on their freedom (and it's always 'their' freedom). Policies that say 'you making small changes with X would all add up to helping with Y' are never going to be accepted by these people and while I don't think they're quite the majority, they are often the loudest person in the room.

It's clear that the changes needed won't happen until that lot are gone or are safely drooling in their chairs (not too long to go though based on some of the evidence at least). I dread to think how the youngest generation will look back on this but atleast that's nothing new.
    Never agreed more with a post on this board. The country will be a better place in 50 years.

Maybe a good olde “World War 3” would sort them out !!!!