+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Sorry but this is just total nonsense. It's easier to get out in a 20 than a 30, people still need stopping distances and so on. Well, most people, who aren't looking to crash or run people over (so excluding a few in this thread).

I'm probably about a year ahead of a lot of people on here as all of the roads nearest to me changed to 20 some time ago. You get used to it after a week or so.

To sum this thread up, old people don't like change. I believe a straw poll of the demographic of this board was done fairly recently.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't make it nonsense. And if I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

The point being is that cautious drivers are going to take longer to pull out because the gaps in traffic are smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    Just because you don't like it doesn't make it nonsense. And if I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

The point being is that cautious drivers are going to take longer to pull out because the gaps in traffic are smaller.
    It's not that I don't like it, it's that I don't see it to be true in practice. Having spent a year of driving around 20mph roads around me, with one being a main arterial road adjacent to where I live and have to pull onto daily, I haven't once had an issue where the difference in speed limit has affected the ability to pull out in any way other than positively.

International

Quote Originally Posted by 79blue View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but I have no affiliation with any political party. I am just a concerned citizen who has witnessed the country being wrecked by populist fools and charlatans over the last decade. We have ruled by people who are in it only for self enhancement. At least Drakeford has the balls to try to improve society, even if it makes him unpopular. Whether you like his politics or not, you should admit that he is brave.

NHS, M4 Brynglas car park, Economy, traffic speed, cycle lanes, bus lanes, road blocks, road closures, schools, kids coming out of care free money, free prescriptions for billionaires, can't travel five miles, lockdown longer when the need has already passed, pay towards University fees, ban the English, triple council tax for 2nd homes in tourist areas, crackpot ideas that make Wales worse, that's not brave it's stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    NHS, M4 Brynglas car park, Economy, traffic speed, cycle lanes, bus lanes, road blocks, road closures, schools, kids coming out of care free money, free prescriptions for billionaires, can't travel five miles, lockdown longer when the need has already passed, pay towards University fees, ban the English, triple council tax for 2nd homes in tourist areas, crackpot ideas that make Wales worse, that's not brave it's stupidity.
    🤣🤣🤣

Right now I know it's a wind up. You're the first person I've ever come across who doesn't agree with having schools.

Right now I know it's a wind up. You're the first person I've ever come across who doesn't agree with having schools.
    I have no idea how many people in Wales benefit from free prescriptions.

Probably in this cost of living crisis id say it helps many thousands.

Id love to know how much money a year is spent on Welsh billionaires prescriptions.

International

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It really isn't. Most of the country object to the imposition of 20mph where it isn't necessary. Its as simple as that. It's a bad policy decision.
    293,311 signatures

International

You're living proof of the state of them

Unfortunately I am not in a position to gather mushrooms as I am unable to walk due to Motor Neurone Disease.

A more considered reply would have been appreciated.
    I am not going to offer platitudes, however much I sympathise with your condition....you by definition have no idea how ludicrous it is to drive at 20mph.....with the probable exception of schools.

293,311 signatures to date apparently....it's not brave, it's ludicrous and stupid.

A lot of the time on my route around Cardiff above 20 was a treat anyway.

What I most dislike is the mess they made of the roll out. It's like they chose which roads to keep 30 based on throwing darts at a map.

That or they still haven't taken down most of the 30 signs.

Shambles.

Take off your blinkers and look at the real world around you.

M4 Brynglas car park – add a couple of extra lanes and within a few years hey will become clogged, but we can always do this ad infinitum.

Economy – the majority of the economy is under the influence of central government.

Traffic speed, cycle lanes, bus lanes, road blocks, road closures – all done to reduce particulate pollution, which will be soon be a significant health risk and to reduce road injuries and deaths (I have significant experience here after 30 years as a paramedic).

Kids coming out of care free money – These children have been disadvantaged all their short lives, moving from homes to foster care and back. What is wrong with giving them support. This is a fraction of what the rich get from tax avoidance.

Free prescriptions for billionaires – I’m sure you can count the number of billionaires in Wales on one hand

Lockdown longer when the need has already passed – That's based on just your opinion and politics. He took expert advice and based his decision on that, not politics as Boris did.

Pay towards University fees – the majority of university educated people complaining of this had their university education for free. The extra tax paid over their lifetime due to their degree more than paid for it.

Ban the English – show me the legislation that bans the English from Wales.

Triple council tax for 2nd homes in tourist areas – if local people cannot buy housing in these areas due to house inflation from second home buyers, then over time these areas will wither and die due to lack of workforce.

You're living proof of the state of them
    That's as may be, but I'm still glad that we have schools

How dare those 5 Welsh billionaires have free prescriptions (assuming they all live here). Don't they realise the damage they're causing 😊

M4 Brynglas car park – add a couple of extra lanes and within a few years hey will become clogged, but we can always do this ad infinitum.

Economy – the majority of the economy is under the influence of central government.

Traffic speed, cycle lanes, bus lanes, road blocks, road closures – all done to reduce particulate pollution, which will be soon be a significant health risk and to reduce road injuries and deaths (I have significant experience here after 30 years as a paramedic).

Kids coming out of care free money – These children have been disadvantaged all their short lives, moving from homes to foster care and back. What is wrong with giving them support. This is a fraction of what the rich get from tax avoidance.

Free prescriptions for billionaires – I’m sure you can count the number of billionaires in Wales on one hand

Lockdown longer when the need has already passed – That's based on just your opinion and politics. He took expert advice and based his decision on that, not politics as Boris did.

Pay towards University fees – the majority of university educated people complaining of this had their university education for free. The extra tax paid over their lifetime due to their degree more than paid for it.

Triple council tax for 2nd homes in tourist areas – if local people cannot buy housing in these areas due to house inflation from second home buyers, then over time these areas will wither and die due to lack of workforce.
    You conveniently chose to overlook schools

293,311 signatures
    Dictator wouldn’t care if it hit a million….probably all the people in Wales who actually drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I am not going to offer platitudes, however much I sympathise with your condition....you by definition have no idea how ludicrous it is to drive at 20mph.....with the probable exception of schools.

293,311 signatures to date apparently....it's not brave, it's ludicrous and stupid.
    I stopped driving in May but I have driven on plenty of roads with a 20mph limit with no difficulties.

I do though have considerable experience of dealing with the consequences of pedestrians being struck by motor vehicles doing over 20mph, after 30 years as a paramedic. Just hope it is not something that you ever have to handle on your own.

293,311 signatures to date apparently - what has that to do with the rights or wrongs of this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    ...and what sort of mushrooms have you been gathering lately?
    The same ones you were crunching and munching when you championed Le pen.

https://www.gov.wales/sites/default/...2022to2027.pdf

Welsh Government National Transport Delivery Plan

Drakeford Out ( senior that is)

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    How dare those 5 Welsh billionaires have free prescriptions (assuming they all live here). Don't they realise the damage they're causing ��
    Jesus the straw clutches are out in force, that was an extreme example but anyone but the poorest shouldn't have anything for free because it leads to wastage, that's elementary economics, if they gave people free electricity, how much do you think people's bills would be.

And yes people will continue to take drugs forever if they are free even if they don't think they are appropriate anymore because they are free, gluten-free bread pasta, etc., and all the nonsense. If that was stopped it would save a fortune and that could be used for the NHS or to improve services.

So, as of now, over 300,000 people have signed the petition and this is increasing quickly every minute. According to you these 300,000 people are wrong and you are right. Staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Dictator wouldn’t care if it hit a million….probably all the people in Wales who actually drive.
    You don't have to be in Wales to enter some details on the petition.

International

If you believe that you are either his Son, if so how have you got hold of a phone, or completely brainwashed by some crazy cult or something because it is all utter nonsense?

International

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    So, as of now, over 300,000 people have signed the petition and this is increasing quickly every minute. According to you these 300,000 people are wrong and you are right. Staggering.
    Just realised he doesn't drive, so it no longer impacts him, that's why he is in the minority and doesn't care about people with busy lives who are being affected by stupid ideas, like don't drive five miles, don't drive faster than twenty.

It is great the petition is growing it shows people have had enough, and there is much more chance of backtracking, we are seeing the first signs already, and support for it is non-existent now.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    You don't have to be in Wales to enter some details on the petition.
    Yes you do, you have to have a Welsh address/postcode otherwise you cant vote. This is capable of being checked and the system filters out anyone who has already voted or is not in a Welsh area.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Stop being pedantic.

If the number reaches 3 million then yes the country is against it. But the population of Wales is approximately 3.2 million, with 300,000 petitioning against it. That gives a total of
    9.4% of the population against it. Not exactly a landslide.

It is not whether I am right or wrong, it is a question of whether it better for the citizens of this country or not. Time will show which side is right, but I would rather be on the side that tries to improve the country than the side that says that nothing can be done.