+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    so you don't like change, got it
    Almost as ridiculous a comment as the idea that you can't drive safely at 24mph down Lloyd George Avenue

Doesn't help when the opposition party keep describing it as a "blanket change"
    It also doesn't help either when someone starts a petition calling the limit 'disastrous', before it has even been implemented. How could he even know that?

I see now that the opposition's latest route is to bring about a vote of no confidence in Lee Waters.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Almost as ridiculous a comment as the idea that you can't drive safely at 24mph down Lloyd George Avenue
    No idea on this road but if its perfectly safe for 30 cant you lobby your council to make it 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No idea on this road but if its perfectly safe for 30 cant you lobby your council to make it 30.
    It's the tree-lined dual carriageway connecting the city centre with Cardiff Bay.

And yes, you are right, people can. Just as they could have lobbied for any road to become 20 beforehand. It certainly isn't all set in stone.

International

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    It also doesn't help either when someone starts a petition calling the limit 'disastrous', before it has even been implemented. How could he even know that?

I see now that the opposition's latest route is to bring about a vote of no confidence in Lee Waters.

a vote of no confidence in Lee Waters. Of course, you would if someone wastes that much money on a whim, there are actual needs like services and the NHS.

International

From Whitchurch Golf Course to the Deri, a safe road with pavement on only one side, no one crosses the road, 40mph would be safe, 30 acceptable, it's been 20 for a year with two speed cameras, it will never go back now as it was a trial area, a total waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    From Whitchurch Golf Course to the Deri, a safe road with pavement on only one side, no one crosses the road, 40mph would be safe, 30 acceptable, it's been 20 for a year with two speed cameras, it will never go back now as it was a trial area, a total waste of time and money.
    By Pantmawr..yeah, one of a couple of dozen or so roads where 30mph would be far more sensible. When you turn up into Pantmawr estate, that's the kind of place where 20mph is appropriate and where you would never want to exceed that anyway

International

By Pantmawr..yeah, one of a couple of dozen or so roads where 30mph would be far more sensible. When you turn up into Pantmawr estate, that's the kind of place where 20mph is appropriate and where you would never want to exceed that anyway
    Exactly common sense that's all people want

Doesn't help when the opposition party keep describing it as a "blanket change"
    Very true, all about sound bites and point scoring rather than actually tackling the issue. Also not impressed by my MS's social media post accusing the tories of being in favour of killing children - I paraphrase obviously.

That journey is probably less than a mile. This isn't really about the speed limit, is it? I reckon it's about people not liking being told what to do. Fine with me, but I wish that they would just say so. 20 from 30 isn't really going to put much time on a journey in a city like Cardiff, You are rarely in a position to build up must speed or momentum before coming to a stop, or encountering traffic. Plenty of people won't do 20, plenty of people will work out where they have to do 20, that 100 mtr stretch where there's a speed camera. What could happen is that the clowns that used to buzz around at 49, might drop it down to 30.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That journey is probably less than a mile. This isn't really about the speed limit, is it? I reckon it's about people not liking being told what to do. Fine with me, but I wish that they would just say so. 20 from 30 isn't really going to put much time on a journey in a city like Cardiff, You are rarely in a position to build up must speed or momentum before coming to a stop, or encountering traffic. Plenty of people won't do 20, plenty of people will work out where they have to do 20, that 100 mtr stretch where there's a speed camera. What could happen is that the clowns that used to buzz around at 49, might drop it down to 30.
    It doesn't make sense, there was no need, it's totally illogical and just a show of power.

What if he had chosen 3mph because it's safer would have you said that's great whatever?

More people die on Motorways what if he thinks, I know what I'll change those to 20mph too that's safer?

It doesn't make sense, there was no need, it's totally illogical and just a show of power.

What if he had chosen 3mph because it's safer would have you said that's great whatever?

More people die on Motorways what if he thinks, I know what I'll change those to 20mph too that's safer?

It's the tree-lined dual carriageway connecting the city centre with Cardiff Bay.

And yes, you are right, people can. Just as they could have lobbied for any road to become 20 beforehand. It certainly isn't all set in stone.
    It's only about half a mile long isn't it? going back to 30 would save what 30 seconds?
    Maybe that one could get changed, but it is hardly a disaster if they don't

Exactly. Also as you approach the golf club and traffic lights at Manor Way, not only are you travelling downhill, the bend is blind so you have to slow down earlier anyway. The opposite direction going up hill, if someone is turning into the estate, or if there's a bus in front of you, you'll have to use extra revs to accelerate to 30 so why not use less and stay at 20 as the mini roundabout at the top is only a couple of hundred yards away.

How often can you actually drive at 20 along there? certainly not in rush hour anyway

How often can you actually drive at 20 along there? certainly not in rush hour anyway
    Along Pantmawr Road? The vast majority of the time you can. It backs up at the A470 at rush hours but rarely too bad.

It's one of many roads where driving at 30mph really cannot be considered dangerous. As I say, when you turn up into to estate it's different.

Why is it called “rush hour”, when everything is nose to tail ?

International

99% of the time except half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night until the changes now you're lucky to get up to 15mph with all the pensioners doddering around scared of the cameras.

That's the main problem, 20mph to some is 10mph to 15mph.

We've seen this kind of reductio ad absurdum on this thread a few times already and it's just a pathetic argument.

That journey is probably less than a mile. This isn't really about the speed limit, is it? I reckon it's about people not liking being told what to do.
    I reckon it's about people not liking being told what to do when it's so stupid, when it flies in the face of common sense.

99% of the time except half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night until the changes now you're lucky to get up to 15mph with all the pensioners doddering around scared of the cameras.

That's the main problem, 20mph to idiots is 10mph to 15mph.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why is it called “rush hour”, when everything is nose to tail ?

something to do with Ian Rush?

International

We've seen this kind of reductio ad absurdum on this thread a few times already and it's just a pathetic argument.
    It's not if the public accepts idiotic abuse of power where does it end?

The anti-vaxers used to threaten this, and I laughed at them but I now realise they were right, you can't drive five miles and go outdoors on a beach, you can't drive at more than 20mph where it's perfectly safe to do so, why?

The anti-vaxers used to threaten this, and I laughed at them but I now realise they were right, you can't drive five miles and go outdoors on a beach, you can't drive at more than 20mph where it's perfectly safe to do so, why?

🤣