+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thornhill, Caerphilly Roads, were like a car park this morning
    I ve driven from north Cardiff to splott the last 2 days and it's been basically normal rush hour traffic

International

When are they moving back to 30mph in NC, that drippy junior better get his skates on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    When are they moving back to 30mph in NC, that drippy junior better get his skates on!!!
    I would change all to 30mph except for your neck of the woods.

I would change all to 30mph except for your neck of the woods.

Lovely fumes all over the city….levels of pollution must be going through the roof now

In what way? Full of cars driving slowly because there's too many of them on the road, irrespective of what the signs say?
    Got to be careful in car parks though as there's pedestrians about, although NCB would probably prefer people not to walk around in car parks.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I've heard a lot of people saying that they've found a lot more congestion and traffic today and yesterday.

I don't understand why that would be down to people doing 20 rather than 30, but no doubt I'm missing something really obvious?

I haven't noticed it being any different, but if I had, I'd have put it down to the fact that it's pissing down
    It suits the argument to blame congestion this week on the new limits, at the same time conveniently ignoring bad weather, and people returning to school and work after the holidays. Poor little Chardonnay can't possibly walk to school in the rain either, so they rather sit in the Caerphilly Rd car park instead aswell.

I think give it a month and people will be fine with it, it's barely making any difference to 99% of journeys and it will save lives.

it also has some ancillary benefits, it does mean lower pollution, despite what some people have written on here and it also studies have shown it encourages more interactions across roads I e. people in trial areas more often interacted with people and shops across roads in 20mph areas than they did when it was 30mph, where interactions are far more concentrated on immediate neighbours on the same side.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think give it a month and people will be fine with it, it's barely making any difference to 99% of journeys and it will save lives.

it also has some ancillary benefits, it does mean lower pollution, despite what some people have written on here and it also studies have shown it encourages more interactions across roads I e. people in trial areas more often interacted with people and shops across roads in 20mph areas than they did when it was 30mph, where interactions are far more concentrated on immediate neighbours on the same side.
    Probably because they are traveling at the same speed they can talk from the car to people walking their dogs.

I think I'll leave ten minutes earlier tomorrow and shave and eat my shredded wheat in the car, probably do some emails too, might as well look at the positives.

Probably because they are traveling at the same speed they can talk from the car to people walking their dogs.

I think I'll leave ten minutes earlier tomorrow and shave and eat my shredded wheat in the car, probably do some emails too, might as well look at the positives.
    yes that's the spirit, it makes it a lot easier to text and drive as well

International

Six months time in Cardiff, half the population!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fall...5ofrSNDFA,st:0

I thought you said everyone would erupt on the 17th
    I shouldn't laugh, just got back from walking the dog and soaked, a train smashed through a puddle as I was just getting back into the street

in six months time it'll be old news, nobody will care about it any more

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    I've heard a lot of people saying that they've found a lot more congestion and traffic today and yesterday.

I don't understand why that would be down to people doing 20 rather than 30, but no doubt I'm missing something really obvious?

I haven't noticed it being any different, but if I had, I'd have put it down to the fact that it's pissing down
    I did observe yesterday going at 20mph along quite a main road that cars wanting to come out of side roads were finding it more difficult , especially those wanting to cross the traffic, as there were fewer “gaps” with everyone crawling at exactly the same speed, nobody going faster or slower than 20mph . May have been just a coincidence though

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I did observe yesterday going at 20mph along quite a main road that cars wanting to come out of side roads were finding it more difficult , especially those wanting to cross the traffic, as there were fewer “gaps” with everyone crawling at exactly the same speed, nobody going faster or slower than 20mph . May have been just a coincidence though
    that makes no sense

i think you just need time to get adjust to it, people just dont like change and blame whoever brought it in

Do you think it's possible there were just more cars than there's been recently due to pissing down rain and schools returning?

Just to test this, if I had to turn onto a road that was going at 60mph, I reckon that would be a lot harder than one at 30. So surely it stands to reason that 20 would be easier than 30, but this would be on the presumption that the number of cars was the same.

I did laugh on the weekend when my takeaway delivery (from half a mile away) was two hours late and the driver unironically blamed it on the new speed limits.

The logic is the same he's slowing the country's economy down, because if people are hit by moving vehicles at 20mph they are less likely to die, so he could do the same with trains, as I said if you don't step onto the road you won't get hit.

Of course, there will still be the odd drink/drug driver, speed limits won't apply to lawbreakers, but they will still plow off the road and into people and kill them.
    Bit difficult if you have to cross a road or get in and out of a car parked car on the road.

In 6 months time traffic jams will still be caused by the amount of traffic on the roads, and not the speed limit on those roads.

If Ducky has his way, every car will need a man (or woman, mustn't be sexist) walking in front waving a warning flag.

My thoughts-
    20MPH is bonkers on arterial roads, fine in housing estates.
    You burn less fuel at 20 than at 30 - BUT it takes longer to get from A to B, so you burn more per journey - hence more pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    If Ducky has his way, every car will need a man (or woman, mustn't be sexist) walking in front waving a warning flag.

My thoughts-
    20MPH is bonkers on arterial roads, fine in housing estates.
    You burn less fuel at 20 than at 30 - BUT it takes longer to get from A to B, so you burn more per journey - hence more pollution.
    there is less pollution per journey at 20 compared to 30

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    there is less pollution per journey at 20 compared to 30
    Bollocks there is….

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bollocks there is….
    Well at least that's one point proven with balanced reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bollocks there is….
    Saw this from a fella called Colin .

The entire “myth busting” here is built on the premise that there is stop-start traffic. Prior research has shown that a 20mph limit increases CO2 (due to increased fuel burn) by up to 35% over a 30moh limit. This also ignores the increase to journey times by presuming that all traffic is stop-start to eliminate the impact of going 66% as fast as a 30mph zone.

Factually speaking, vehicles are most efficient at around 50mph. This nonsense about stop-start traffic and 20mph limits being good is simply an excuse; it’s a way of shilling for most city governments by making the argument “most city governments haven’t properly invested in vehicle infrastructure capacity expansion or pedestrian capacity expansion even as populations have increased 50%, here’s why that inefficiency is a good thing”.

These “myth bustings” only work if we continue to think massive underinvestment in transportation capacity from our governments, even while taxes and ULEZ and congestion charges increase, is acceptable policy.

Anyone factored in the effect of care workers and Health workers in the community ?????