+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Six months time in Cardiff, half the population!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fall...5ofrSNDFA,st:0
    In 6 months time traffic jams will still be caused by the amount of traffic on the roads, and not the speed limit on those roads.

If Ducky has his way, every car will need a man (or woman, mustn't be sexist) walking in front waving a warning flag.

My thoughts-
    20MPH is bonkers on arterial roads, fine in housing estates.
    You burn less fuel at 20 than at 30 - BUT it takes longer to get from A to B, so you burn more per journey - hence more pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    If Ducky has his way, every car will need a man (or woman, mustn't be sexist) walking in front waving a warning flag.

My thoughts-
    You burn less fuel at 20 than at 30 - BUT it takes longer to get from A to B, so you burn more per journey - hence more pollution.
    How much fuel do you burn accelerating from 20 to 30 ? I'd say that's probably more than that you've burnt in your extra journey time.

I haven’t lived in Cardiff for 38 years but on the last two occasions that I have returned recently to see my Mum (and watch Cardiff City/Wales ;-) ) driving from Cyncoed into town has become noticeably more laborious the closer that you get to the city centre.

The cycle lanes are just baffling to a visitor like me and the traffic lights on / around Cathays Terrance make progress desperately slow. It is frustrating but I presume a lot safer?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

My thoughts-
    there is less pollution per journey at 20 compared to 30

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    How do you work that out? Car revs are roughly the same using 3rd at 20mph as 4th gear at 30mph. I find I switch down more to 2nd gear at 20mph, meaning higher revs and using more fuel.

A regular journey of mine has taken me 5 minutes longer both yesterday and today. I reckon that if I'm driving for 5 minutes more I'm using more fuel and creating more pollution.

A guy ran out in front of me this morning.If I wasn't doing 20 he would be in hospital now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How do you work that out? Car revs are roughly the same using 3rd at 20mph as 4th gear at 30mph. I find I switch down more to 2nd gear at 20mph, meaning higher revs and using more fuel.

A regular journey of mine has taken me 5 minutes longer both yesterday and today. I reckon that if I'm driving for 5 minutes more I'm using more fuel and creating more pollution.
    I didn't work it out, there are various studies online about it, from the various other places around the world that have introduced a similar limit.

iirc the biggest impact on particulates generated is accelerating rapidly, and at 20 you get far fewer accelerations and breaking than at 30, as everyone drives along a lot more smoothly.
    which makes sense, even with a clear road ahead of you, nobody is going to bother flooring it to get to 20.

as for using fuel, you'll remember from your GCSE physics that energy is proportional to the square of velocity, so even if the journey is taking longer it will use more energy to do it more quickly.

No the whole point is control and gimmicks, that's the excuse, otherwise why not 5mph, there would be less deaths again and it's far safer, or why not make cars illegal, no deaths?

It's nonsense, you know it, if Boris had suggested it you'd have had a heart attack, as it's drippy you're trying to make reasons to defend it.
    ‘Drippy’, you lose all credibility with monikers like that and as for Boris, that’s just sycophantic nonsense.

Amazon are selling Welsh Gear sticks with just 1 , 2 & R showing , going fast so get one asap

It’s easier to come out of a junction as you can zip into the line before the next car dawdles up imho

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ‘Drippy’, you lose all credibility with monikers like that and as for Boris, that’s just sycophantic nonsense.
    Boris made a huge difference to London with his beautiful bikes

interesting fact :
    Of the Boris bikes first rolled out 10 years ago, 3,993 are still on the road today, although their parts will have been replaced to ensure they are safe and working well. A total of 6,654 cycles have been decommissioned since the scheme began because of reasons such as they've been lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I haven’t lived in Cardiff for 38 years but on the last two occasions that I have returned recently to see my Mum (and watch Cardiff City/Wales ;-) ) driving from Cyncoed into town has become noticeably more laborious the closer that you get to the city centre.

The cycle lanes are just baffling to a visitor like me and the traffic lights on / around Cathays Terrance make progress desperately slow. It is frustrating but I presume a lot safer?
    Well you say safe ??? I've not driven through town for some time and I found myself having to look at so many signs and bus lanes and other instructions even at 20mph I wondered if a visitor or an older person could actually be distracted by the many instructions they could mount a pavement and kill/ injure someone or break and swerve to avoid going into the wrong lane , box , bus /tax lane ..

20mph in towns defiantly , over kill on roads instructions , nope dangerous by distraction

Two lefty defenders on this thread that's all, all the rest the rest have more brains and sense than to try and defend idiotic ideas.
    I’m not defending or criticising the matter. I, honestly, have more things in my life to get annoyed at, this speed thing is way down the ‘my list of outrage’. Doesn’t matter to me whether the speed limit alters, hard to go over 20 in Cardiff anyway during work/school run times. Rather amusing witnessing the Mr Angrys getting all worked up though One piece of advice I’d give to Chris Rea though, he needs to leave now

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well you say safe ??? I've not driven through town for some time and I found myself having to look at so many signs and bus lanes and other instructions even at 20mph I wondered if a visitor or an older person could actually be distracted by the many instructions they could mount a pavement and kill/ injure someone or break and swerve to avoid going into the wrong lane , box , bus /tax lane ..

20mph in towns defiantly , over kill on roads instructions , nope dangerous by distraction
    on these threads there are always a lot of people outing themselves as bad drivers.
    if you can't safely read road signs, or keep your car at 20mph and keep your attention on the road then perhaps you should go back to your driving instructor and ask for a few more lessons

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thornhill, Caerphilly Roads, were like a car park this morning
    Lovely fumes all over the city….levels of pollution must be going through the roof now

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bollocks there is….

People getting so worked up about this, they’re probably the same people who got worked up over law against drunk driving, law against smoking indoors and paying 5p for a bag and now these things would never get rolled back. Some people don’t like change it’s that simple unfortunately.

Other than that it’s a British/Welsh condition to complain about everything, f*cking hell it’s painful to hear and read.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    People getting so worked up about this, they’re probably the same people who got worked up over law against drunk driving, law against smoking indoors and paying 5p for a bag and now these things would never get rolled back. Some people don’t like change it’s that simple unfortunately.

Other than that it’s a British/Welsh condition to complain about everything, f*cking hell it’s painful to hear and read.
    They're probably also driving around with darkened numbers plates, illegal tints, a seatbelt clip clicked in to stop the annoying beeps, and their mobile phone stuck on their windscreen.
    I'm surprised no one has claimed yet that speed restrictions are an infringement of their human rights.

168,324 petiton signatures and counting ............

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    A guy ran out in front of me this morning.If I wasn't doing 20 he would be in hospital now.
    You should have sped up to 30 and knocked him down.
    What right did he have to be crossing the road

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bollocks there is….
    Well at least that's one point proven with balanced reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bollocks there is….
    Saw this from a fella called Colin .

The entire “myth busting” here is built on the premise that there is stop-start traffic. Prior research has shown that a 20mph limit increases CO2 (due to increased fuel burn) by up to 35% over a 30moh limit. This also ignores the increase to journey times by presuming that all traffic is stop-start to eliminate the impact of going 66% as fast as a 30mph zone.

Factually speaking, vehicles are most efficient at around 50mph. This nonsense about stop-start traffic and 20mph limits being good is simply an excuse; it’s a way of shilling for most city governments by making the argument “most city governments haven’t properly invested in vehicle infrastructure capacity expansion or pedestrian capacity expansion even as populations have increased 50%, here’s why that inefficiency is a good thing”.

These “myth bustings” only work if we continue to think massive underinvestment in transportation capacity from our governments, even while taxes and ULEZ and congestion charges increase, is acceptable policy.

Anyone factored in the effect of care workers and Health workers in the community ?????

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Saw this from a fella called Colin .

The entire “myth busting” here is built on the premise that there is stop-start traffic. Prior research has shown that a 20mph limit increases CO2 (due to increased fuel burn) by up to 35% over a 30moh limit. This also ignores the increase to journey times by presuming that all traffic is stop-start to eliminate the impact of going 66% as fast as a 30mph zone.

Factually speaking, vehicles are most efficient at around 50mph. This nonsense about stop-start traffic and 20mph limits being good is simply an excuse; it’s a way of shilling for most city governments by making the argument “most city governments haven’t properly invested in vehicle infrastructure capacity expansion or pedestrian capacity expansion even as populations have increased 50%, here’s why that inefficiency is a good thing”.

These “myth bustings” only work if we continue to think massive underinvestment in transportation capacity from our governments, even while taxes and ULEZ and congestion charges increase, is acceptable policy.

Anyone factored in the effect of care workers and Health workers in the community ?????
    no, I've googled where you found that comment, and the person who posted it in a reply to an article was called Jon, not Colin

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post

Drink driving are you mental who would object to that, smoking outdoors only is great stop it all altogether, 5p a bag who cares I don't shop, 20mph is utter overcontrolling nonsense the same as don't travel more than five miles, and keeping our economy closed while England was fully functioning.