+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 20mph online petition

International

Re: 20mph online petition

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    From my travels around Cardiff - I'd say about 80% of just ignoring 20mph
    50% are dodderers by me and drive at 18 on the major roads that are safe at 40.

Burt I agree in areas outside the trial it is mostly ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes, of course, that's good it's not a blanket policy all over England, we can already see its labour councils that love gimmicky daft attention-seeing ideas, then beg for more money when they go bust.

In Wales, it was sneaked in and Labour can do whatever they want. Other council areas will get advanced warning and get it stopped.
    it isn't a blanket policy here either. I've just driven pretty much the entire length of Cardiff and maybe the first 50 -100 metres was at 20 mph

Yes, of course, that's good it's not a blanket policy all over England, we can already see its labour councils that love gimmicky daft attention-seeing ideas, then beg for more money when they go bust.

In Wales, it was sneaked in and Labour can do whatever they want. Other council areas will get advanced warning and get it stopped.
    Northampton, Thurrock and Woking councils aren't Labour run.

It’s not a blanket policy. I have gone at various speeds in many different roads. Probably ‘affected’ about 10% on any set journey. No big deal. Very interesting that Rishi ‘I hate Welsh Labour’ Sunak had to do a swift reverse when justifying Tory councils making the streets a touch safer by introducing the same laws locally. It will all be forgotten by Christmas and the libertarians will have some other ‘woke’ issue to be annoyed about.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's not insane or extreme, but unfortunately that's the language that people have chosen for political discourse. Same with Liz Truss 'crashing' the economy, Brexit being a 'disaster' etc etc.

I think the policy is probably well meaning but ultimately misguided, totally unnecessary and govt overreach, but saying such things doesn't get as much airtime, unfortunately
    Whoever in their right mind thinks Liz Truss and Brexit are not both insane and disasters? Hardly extreme descriptors methinks!

50% are dodderers by me and drive at 18 on the major roads that are safe at 40.

Burt I agree in areas outside the trial it is mostly ignored.

How do you know his name is Burt ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    How do you know his name is Burt ?
    His second name is Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    His second name is Reynolds
    Is he in chains ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've seen a few people driving at say 22 or 24 on the odd occasion, but these would probably have been driving at 34 if it was a 30 zone.
    the vast majority of people are sticking to the limit in my experience.

are you mostly driving around at 3 am or something?
    From your use of words I cannot decide if you clocked these people using your own speedo or they just looked as if they were doing those speeds.

If people want t0 go the the limit the law allows they can do up 23 MPH in a 20MPH limit in S Wales and not be photographed. Additionally vehicle speedos have an error of 2+ miles/hour which if a driver feels safe he might add on and do 25 and probably still not get his picture taken.
    I'm not saying I agree with the practice but it is a fact.
    The speed cameras are set to exact limits, which is why I think many more people that would admit it think they have had their photo taken and wait anxiously for a letter that never arrives.

I'd be more interested in what speed motorists involved in fatal accidents in 30MPH limits were actually doing, rather than saying that all the accidents were at 30. If people were going faster then the new 20MPH limits won't suddenly make them slow down

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Is he in chains ?
    Lol

Whoever in their right mind thinks Liz Truss and Brexit are not both insane and disasters? Hardly extreme descriptors methinks!
    Well given that it's a balanced picture and the majority of economic metrics put us above our European peers, I'd say most sensible people would avoid such hyperbolic statements!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it isn't a blanket policy here either. I've just driven pretty much the entire length of Cardiff and maybe the first 50 -100 metres was at 20 mph
    You must have gone down the A470, which isn't 20?

You must have gone down the A470, which isn't 20?
    yeah I can either go down the A470 which isn't 20 or go M4-a4232 which is longer but often quicker and also not 20

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I watched him maintaining that inflation is a tax yesterday, so that’s another one he’s increased.
    Nice spot

Well given that it's a balanced picture and the majority of economic metrics put us above our European peers, I'd say most sensible people would avoid such hyperbolic statements!
    As John McEnroe would say: "you cannot be serious!"

As John McEnroe would say: "you cannot be serious!"
    Facts

"" Two statements this week from the FT that might pass for apologies. Economics Editor, Chris Giles, said on radio 4's More or Less that the new GDP data meant that he and others must now stop claiming that the UK was the G7's worst performing economy. Last Thursday, Peter Foster, the Europe editor,, argued for an end to litigating old arguments about Brexit that are getting us nowhere'.
    Whoever can he mean??""

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/

Dont think anything will happen. Councillor Caro Wild is behind all the cycle lane / traffic calming plans for CCC.
    He was the one that shut Castle street under the excuse of covid. There was a local vote - something the council tried to hide. Anyway - a vote was had - the council lost = so tythey had to re open the road (total cost over 3 million).
    Wild then tried to get Cardiff university to do a study to prove his point, that was rumbled whne it was discovered they are both good mates... and the study was so biased it was hard to take it seriously.

Meanwhile Councilor Wild has spent 1 million putting in a bus lane on Cathedral road - all that to save in his own words - 30 seconds journey time - whilst creating a massive traffic issue. All vehicles in a jam with engines running etc.

Caro Wild, Hugh Thomas (council leader),Brennan and Drakeford are all good mates and signed up to 20. So the chances of anything happening re getting rid of the 20mph is zero

Thomas - Oxford educated (music degree I believe) and Wild - is from Leeds and grew up on a commune - and the pair of them are in control of what happens in Cardiff.

The bus lanes in Cardiff are a God send. The Cwmbran/Cardiff bus is always on time.
    Don't criticise the Councillors,put your head above the para-pit and stand for election.

For me entering my 8th decade, driving at 30 at night now seems much faster than it used to especially with all the parked cars where I live in Inner London affecting my judgement. It is very different in the day time when 30 sometimes appears pedestrian to me.

20-25 at night seems more comfortable for me in built-up areas than 30. The 20 mph zones we have locally are probably sensible after dark, though not in the daytime. Maybe, there should be variable speed limits according to the time of day and lighting conditions?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    For me entering my 8th decade, driving at 30 at night now seems much faster than it used to especially with all the parked cars where I live in Inner London affecting my judgement. It is very different in the day time when 30 sometimes appears pedestrian to me.

20-25 at night seems more comfortable for me in built-up areas than 30. The 20 mph zones we have locally are probably sensible after dark, though not in the daytime. Maybe, there should be variable speed limits according to the time of day and lighting conditions?
    No just reduce your own speed at night, it's interesting that even people who are almost 80 too slow and driving on the busiest roads in London. It's just a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post

You’re the only person I’ve ever heard of suggesting slower speeds at the quieter times of day

No just reduce your own speed at night, it's interesting that even people who are almost 80 too slow and driving on the busiest roads in London. It's just a joke.
    do you want to try that again?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ition-27927202

A new poll shows there is huge opposition to the new 20mph speed limit in Wales.

I don't know if this is directly related to the reduced speed limit, but there is now a lot more queuing traffic in Cathays and Roath then there was a few months ago. It's really noticeable.