+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ivor Davies...

The Ivor Davies...

Put up for sale by Wetherspoons.
    Good news or bad news? Long time since I've been in there.

Re: The Ivor Davies...

Bad news. Probably won't be a pub anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I would argue 'not good news'.

If Wetherspoons can't make it work, then it'll probably end up as an estate agent's/solicitors'/double glazing shop or rented out ad-hoc at Christmas time to sell Christmas decorations.

Obviously the huge amounts it makes when City play at home aren't enough to make it profitable enough overall. I think that would apply to lots of pubs in Canton.

If the pub was to close, it'll make Canton a bit more expensive to drink in before a game and I wonder if less City fans would hit Canton before a game as a result, which would be bad news for other pubs as well.

Definitely bad news. It's a proper working class pub.

The people that go there will still drink. But it will be at home. Will benefit the economy less, will cost the NHS more and will benefit society less.

Bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Obviously the huge amounts it makes when City play at home aren't enough to make it profitable enough overall. I think that would apply to lots of pubs in Canton.

If the pub was to close, it'll make Canton a bit more expensive to drink in before a game and I wonder if less City fans would hit Canton before a game as a result, which would be bad news for other pubs as well.
    Does it make huge amounts on matchdays? Most midweek games you can get a table and a cheap meal. It's busy but not so busy that it's breaking records.

Regulars throughout the week probably spend as much as the one off matchday visitors.

I was thinking about it when I saw this thread, it's main issue is competition.

Within 150 - 200m is

Hudo Lounge
    Napier
    Corp Yard
    Canton Cross
    The Canton
    Butchers
    Chapter
    Canton Libs
    Kings Castle
    Slizza Pizza
    Crafty Devils

So at least 10 pubs on the doorstep

Also a dozen or more restaurants and take aways inc Italian, Chinese, Indian, Japanese. Also cafe's offering full breakfasts/brunches ahead of City games. Fish and chip shops.

Plus Tesco's, Home Bargains, COOP, and various off licenses selling booze at half the price. European shops as well

From my initial thought that Canton was pretty barren for refreshments I now realise it's flourishing for all sorts of stuff.

Not as many take aways as City Rd but it smashes City Rd out of the park for drinking establishments.

Was doing a bit of work on a property last month and a lady walking past stopped to have a natter - as you do. She'd finished a shift in 'Spoons earlier and was bushed. Told me they'd done well that week and had taken '35', whereas normally they'd take 30. I'm presuming that's £30,000 per week which sounds pretty decent to me..

International

Takes too long to drive there now, town will die too.

International

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

The people that go there will still drink. But it will be at home. Will benefit the economy less, will cost the NHS more and will benefit society less.

Bad news.
    The economy is screwed in Wales anyway more empty shops than anywhere, but hey we locked down longer and drive slower

Isnt the guy a staunch Brexiteer and Tory?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Isnt the guy a staunch Brexiteer and Tory?
    Voted remain, have previously voted Labour, but anything right of 99% left would be considered right-wing extremist on here.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Bad news.
    I try to avoid Weatherspoons but there are loads of places in the area to drink. Arent there any places that have reasonable prices? Napier , Cross , Canton Hotel? Lib Club?

Pretty poor if certain clientele are priced out. Loads of people are on their own who go to pubs just for company. Shocking if none of these pubs cant compete with Spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Voted remain, have previously voted Labour, but anything right of 99% left would be considered right-wing extremist on here.
    I was talking about the guy who owns Spoons.

International

I try to avoid Weatherspoons but there are loads of places in the area to drink. Arent there any places that have reasonable prices? Napier , Cross , Canton Hotel? Lib Club?

Pretty poor if certain clientele are priced out. Loads of people are on their own who go to pubs just for company. Shocking if none of these pubs cant compete with Spoons.
    Most pubs can't compete, they have a sound business model, and buy in bulk cheaply close to the use-by dates and sell it cheaply.

Breakfasts probably make them a lot of money too, filling them up in the mornings.

Yeah there are usually other options but it's nearly always the cheapest pub in any area so clearly it's important for people on lower incomes (and not so lower incomes too).

Cowbridge Road probably isn't the best example but there are some places; parts of London and Bristol, Bath, Oxford where Wetherspoons is the only place many can afford to drink.

Most pubs can't compete, they have a sound business model, and buy in bulk cheaply close to the use-by dates and sell it cheaply.

I was talking about the guy who owns Spoons.
    If you based your drinking habits on the political allegiance of the owners then you'd probably drink mostly at home.

The Wetherspoons in Abertillery is also up for sale. Bad news for the town as it is the only place left which sells real ales.

Breakfasts probably make them a lot of money too, filling them up in the mornings.
    He also pays very low wages and employs the very minimum number of staff needed.

International

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    He also pays very low wages and employs the very minimum number of staff needed.
    Agreed he takes things to the limit, and that's why some people boycott. I don't go often but they have their place, if a Wetherspoons is closing it's not good news for an area, if they can't make money then there is a real problem.

Always makes me laugh the way this 'they buy beer close to sell by date ' always comes up. Just a silly urban myth, right up there with Ryanair are cheap because they fly old planes .

A

2 pubs a day closing in England and Wales so far this year apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Weatherspoons pay the same rate as other pubs etc. As for employing the 'very minimum' of staff, I suspect you've never visited Weatherspoons. One of the plus points, apart from good value beer and food, is just how many staff are there.

You're talking complete boll*cks.

International

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Always makes me laugh the way this 'they buy beer close to sell by date ' always comes up. Just a silly urban myth, right up there with Ryanair are cheap because they fly old planes .

A
    Actually, you are correct, I always thought that was true as it makes common sense but they deny it

Probably still mostly down to buying power though and these reasons below.

How do Wetherspoons sell so cheap?
    Wetherspoons pubs are free houses, as they are not owned by a brewery, they can shop around for the best prices for drinks and can choose which brands they will sell. In addition, the chain has some strict rules on beer, each needs to come with exactly 5 per cent head to make sure they're not selling too much.

Weatherspoons own their pubs outright - it's why they are often converted from other buildings.

"Buy a old building and renovate it, then you're not tied into renting from a brewery who also control the price you charge for pints."

The Channel 5 show Wetherspoons: How Do They Do It?, previously revealed this as one of the key reasons behind their low prices.

While another said not playing music, or showing sporting events also helps them to keep prices low.

They wrote: "They don't have to pay royalties to Sky and BT, or for music. This can cost pubs thousands."

Spoons previously revealed keeping costs down isn't the only reason it doesn't play music, but it gives the pubs a unique atmosphere.

And while its venues did show World Cup matches last year at handful of venues, it doesn't show Premier League football.

Some users also took to the thread to debunk a common misconception that Wetherspoons buys beer that is near its sell-buy date and that's why it's so cheap.

One Reddit user said: "The myth that it’s due to near-expiry date beer always makes me laugh."

Wetherspoons has also confirmed that at this is a "urban myth".

Appreciate no one has said it here, but that example of Tim Martin 'sacking staff during Covid' is one of the finest examples of online misinformation there is. It spreads around online forums and echo chambers and is often cited by people (usually in s proxy Brexit debate) but it is absolutely completely false.

He did the right thing. - said that if anyone wanted to get more secure work elsewhere during Covid' then they would prioritise taking them back later.