+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alsop Delivering Again

Re: Alsop Delivering Again

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Using fbref it should be possible to work out if he saved or cost us points but with a score of minus 7.4 I doubt he saved us 6 points
    Well, firstly xG is a load of cobblers and means absolutely nothing but secondly he directly saved us two points in one game, when he saved a penalty in the last minute against Blackburn in October 2022, so I don't think it is doubtful that he saved us six over the season at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Its not rocket science is it ? If he hadn't made the saves he did, we would have had six points less than we got but if, as you maintain, he let goals in that he should have saved, then any ‘lost points’ caused as a result are already included in our seasons points total. Net effect is that we would have got six points less and been relegated. My point therefore stands.
    So you are saying that if we played without a goalkeeper last season we would have been relegated? Got it!

That's a very blinkered way of assessing players if you are going to ignore their mistakes and only focus on the good things they do but isn't a surprising approach from you

How did you work out we were six points better off?
    He saved that penalty in added time against Blackburn and he saved another one somewhere else (think it might have been Luton away, so that didn’t gain us anything if I’m right). Hard to see where the other four points came from though.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Its not rocket science is it ? If he hadn't made the saves he did, we would have had six points less than we got but if, as you maintain, he let goals in that he should have saved, then any ‘lost points’ caused as a result are already included in our seasons points total. Net effect is that we would have got six points less and been relegated. My point therefore stands.
    Your point is nonsense. Take our 3-2 defeat to Hull City. It was a dire game but one where we were leading 2-1. Regan Slater hits a feeble shot from 25 yards which Allsop should have saved. It was well commented on in the match thread on this board and the attempt itself had an xG rating of 0.07. Whether you like xG or not, there's little doubt that the goal should have been prevented by Allsop. It was a game changing moment and they scored again 2 minutes later while we were licking our wounds. We could have won that hadn't it been for a goalkeeping cock up, so there's 3 points off your 6 just for starters.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You are right about Bulut’s stance on Allsop - but he didn’t look too upset when Allsop (or his agent) pushed for a move away.

He was a poor shot stopper and I’m not convinced he was an organiser at the back.

His strengths were supposed to be coolness and competence playing out from the back and excellent distribution. He clearly had some of that but was he really much better than Alnwick - who also organises, controls his box and stops shots.

The best one stayed!
    Alnwick catches and punches the ball too, and you can see the defence is confident with him and get out of his way when he shouts to come off his line.

Allsop was terrible and stayed on his line and watched the ball fly in, the only time we had clean sheets was when we put 11 men behind the ball and stopped the other team from having any shots on target that weren't straight at Allsop.

Runnerson has made more impressive saves this season than Allsop did last season and he's only played two games.

International

Answering my own question using football 365's methodology and fbref's stats he cost us 7.4 goals last season
    A lot more than that in reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Your point is nonsense. Take our 3-2 defeat to Hull City. It was a dire game but one where we were leading 2-1. Regan Slater hits a feeble shot from 25 yards which Allsop should have saved. It was well commented on in the match thread on this board and the attempt itself had an xG rating of 0.07. Whether you like xG or not, there's little doubt that the goal should have been prevented by Allsop. It was a game changing moment and they scored again 2 minutes later while we were licking our wounds. We could have won that hadn't it been for a goalkeeping cock up, so there's 3 points off your 6 just for starters.
    He certainly was at fault in certain matches but you also can't just rubbish the clean sheets he was a part of just because there wasn't some great save we remember.

He was a part of getting those points, particularly when our forward line could barely score in most matches. We relied heavily on the defence, him in included to scrape as many points as possible.

I prefer alnwick, but he should do better with both of covs goals last week. Slow for the first, limp wrist for the second. Allsop rightfully would have got shit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Des View Post
    Coaching
    In Allsop, aside from keeping him fit and sharp - the effect of coaching in 2 months on a player in his 30s is next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    He certainly was at fault in certain matches but you also can't just rubbish the clean sheets he was a part of just because there wasn't some great save we remember.

He was a part of getting those points, particularly when our forward line could barely score in most matches. We relied heavily on the defence, him in included to scrape as many points as possible.
    He was a part of a crap side that was nearly relegated. I suppose we can look at some players and say they kept us up, but on the flip side of the coin, they were the reason we were down there in the first place. Allsop fits into that category for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    So you are saying that if we played without a goalkeeper last season we would have been relegated? Got it!
    🤣🤣🤣🤣

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He was a part of a crap side that was nearly relegated. I suppose we can look at some players and say they kept us up, but on the flip side of the coin, they were the reason we were down there in the first place. Allsop fits into that category for me.
    You are right, Kaba, O'Dowda, McGuiness, Kipre and NG kept us up last year, the others chipped in a bit.

I'm glad we've got Alnwick. There is zero doubt who is the better keeper for Cardiff City. Allsop might do well for Hull but he was absolutely horrendous by the end of the season.

Might be way off the mark as I don’t know the man from Adam but I got the impression that he had quite a high opinion of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'm glad we've got Alnwick. There is zero doubt who is the better keeper for Cardiff City. Allsop might do well for Hull but he was absolutely horrendous by the end of the season.
    Allsop was a weak keeper, he made saves, but they were weak saves on times. If he got a hand to the ball then it would invariably become a lottery on where it would end up, ensuing defensive scramble alert! Alnwick is stronger, more present.

I prefer alnwick, but he should do better with both of covs goals last week. Slow for the first, limp wrist for the second. Allsop rightfully would have got shit for it.
    People don’t half judge goalkeepers by higher standards than outfield players - Alnwick at fault with both Coventry goals? Really? I can maybe see an argument that his punch should have been better directed for the first one, but he didn’t have a prayer for the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    People don’t half judge goalkeepers by higher standards than outfield players - Alnwick at fault with both Coventry goals? Really? I can maybe see an argument that his punch should have been better directed for the first one, but he didn’t have a prayer for the second one.
    Not at all, I don't even ultimately blame him for either goal, poor defending more than anything but....

He's slow to react for the first, Allsop like almost, he sees it late maybe but still falls in installments. Not sure about no prayer for the second, he's there and gets a hand to it but has lettuce hands. It happens, it didn't cost us. He has done well overall.

It's not something I thought much about but absolutely believe if it had been Allsop in goal there would have been far more mentions of it.

Not at all, I don't even ultimately blame him for either goal, poor defending more than anything but....

He's slow to react for the first, Allsop like almost, he sees it late maybe but still falls in installments. Not sure about no prayer for the second, he's there and gets a hand to it but has lettuce hands. It happens, it didn't cost us. He has done well overall.

It's not something I thought much about but absolutely believe if it had been Allsop in goal there would have been far more mentions of it.
    I doubt it. We won the game and poor incidents tend to get overlooked with 3 points in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I thought he started off fairly sound when he joined but by the end he was an absolute liability.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree with this. Alnwick having limp wrists is ridiculous. He had no chance for the second and whilst I agree that maybe the inch could have been directed a little better, I think that was just unlucky.

I also think the criticism of Alsop is over the top. I think he is a decent championship 'keeper but no more than that. Whilst Alsop may not have been directly responsible for a lot of goals, I think a better 'keeper, like Alnwick, would have saved more.