Louis Theroux on BBC2

Absolutely deranged idiots

One step away from a death cult

Re: Return To Westboro Baptist Church

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Louis Theroux on BBC2

Absolutely deranged idiots

One step away from a death cult
    I started watching it but just found it too depressing for a Sunday night. Bring back That's Life

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I started watching it but just found it too depressing for a Sunday night. Bring back That's Life
    The funny shaped vegetable slots were a different class in British tv.

I just finished reading the book 'Unfollow'. It was written by the granddaughter of the leader of that church and who was responsible for their Facebook account. Significantly, she was interviewed at length by Louis Theroux in the documentary. As you may have guessed, she eventually left the church and became persona non grata in that community as a result
    It's a great read if you are interested in religious indoctrination.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    The funny shaped vegetable slots were a different class in British tv.
    Haha and dogs saying 'sausages'. Or was that something else?

Mind you the title music for That's Life started that sinking (oh no school tomorrow) feeling.

That was even worse

That strange bloke in the smoking jacket sat in the velvet chair

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I just finished reading the book 'Unfollow'. It was written by the granddaughter of the leader of that church and who was responsible for their Facebook account. Significantly, she was interviewed at length by Louis Theroux in the documentary. As you may have guessed, she eventually left the church and became persona non grata in that community as a result
    It's a great read if you are interested in religious indoctrination.
    Louis is the art of cool when he's being given the verbal by those two brothers of the family

They are like waco or Jim Jones

Imagine if this lot were Muslims? The rhetoric would certainly be different. Mad, Cuckoo land, etc would be replaced by Evil, Dangerous, and a national threat to security.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Imagine if this lot were Muslims? The rhetoric would certainly be different. Mad, Cuckoo land, etc would be replaced by Evil, Dangerous, and a national threat to security.
    Well extreme Islam is just another form of indoctrination

They are all deranged in my book

Abortion clinics are targeted by fanatical far right evangelical Christians

All from the same mad fairy tales

Well extreme Islam is just another form of indoctrination

They are all deranged in my book

Abortion clinics are targeted by fanatical far right evangelical Christians

All from the same mad fairy tales
    Yes, but my point was that the two are treated and spoken about differently in society and the media.

Many religions perpetrate evil in the name of their deity, be it Christianity or Islam. However, the lunatic Westboro Baptist Church has not seemingly been involved with thratening the security of any nation as yet and neither have they declared a holy war as did ISIS and the Crusades.

Many religions perpetrate evil in the name of their deity, be it Christianity or Islam. However, the lunatic Westboro Baptist Church has not seemingly been involved with thratening the security of any nation as yet and neither have they declared a holy war as did ISIS and the Crusades.
    There are 'Mad' 'Cuckoo' Crazy' Muslims out there spreading mi truths and hate like the Westboro lot. In my opinion, they're not brushed off in the same way as this lot are.

Louis is the art of cool when he's being given the verbal by those two brothers of the family

They are like waco or Jim Jones
    If there is one bloke that gets on my t1ts it is Louis Theroux, he's nearly as creepy as the people he 'investigates'

There are 'Mad' 'Cuckoo' Crazy' Muslims out there spreading mi truths and hate like the Westboro lot. In my opinion, they're not brushed off in the same way as this lot are.
    I'm not sure about the term 'brushed off' but it's a fact of life that it's less safe to criticise Islam than Christianity these days. Christianity has gone from torture and persecution to, in the main, almost pacifism in the face of criticism. Islam hasn't reached that stage, as Salman Rushdie found out.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    If there is one bloke that gets on my t1ts it is Louis Theroux, he's nearly as creepy as the people he 'investigates'
    I think he's terrific and his book "Gotta Get Theroux This" is a very amusing, honest and revealing tome. He is very introspective, lacks confidence in many ways and is genuinely interested in people. I roared with laughter many times whilst reading the book and couldn't put it down.

I'm not sure about the term 'brushed off' but it's a fact of life that it's less safe to criticise Islam than Christianity these days. Christianity has gone from torture and persecution to, in the main, almost pacifism in the face of criticism. Islam hasn't reached that stage, as Salman Rushdie found out.
    A big factor is where you are in the world and what you're dealing with. It could be argued that hard line christianity has influenced and nurtured imperialism and intolerance in America, within certain groups, some may even say that George Bush's foreign policy was heavily influenced by christianity, or his take on it.

A big factor is where you are in the world and what you're dealing with. It could be argued that hard line christianity has influenced and nurtured imperialism and intolerance in America, within certain groups, some may even say that George Bush's foreign policy was heavily influenced by christianity, or his take on it.
    Most religions are divisive, controlling and encourage intolerance of non-believers. And most religions are spread by the conduit of imperialism in the first place. It's all about indoctrination of fairy stories that are recycled from previous religions but with a new spin.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    He's a very intelligent man

I can see why you feel threatened

He's a very intelligent man

I can see why you feel threatened
    Someone gets on my t1ts - and you interpret that as me being threatened.....staggering

Haha and dogs saying 'sausages'. Or was that something else?

Mind you the title music for That's Life started that sinking (oh no school tomorrow) feeling.
    I'm pretty sure the dog was from Wrexham. We used to sing 'sausages' to them when we played them. We knew how to have fun in those days i can tell you.

I'm pretty sure the dog was from Wrexham. We used to sing 'sausages' to them when we played them. We knew how to have fun in those days i can tell you.
    There's no retort to that tbf.

That old bloke in the chair was Cyril somebody if I remember correctly

We're the famous Cardiff City!
    We come from Sloper Road
    They talk about the Welsh Cup
    We won it 'kin loads!!

You utter, utter hooligan!!!!!!!