+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown - harmful to children

Re: Lockdown - harmful to children

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I don’t accept it was a worldwide problem western societies definitely though , Many of African carried on relatively normally and escaped lightly, but this could be due to the lack of testing and societal distrust in governments.
    That's the key

You are a conspiracy theorist

And think the pandemic wasn't as such and that the injections didn't apply to you

Not because you had an underlying health condition .....as many people have .....but because you have too much access to Google

As soon as you start from that point it all falls apart

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I don't think you have a grasp of the extent of the issue here. And in terms of growing up, I don't appreciate that one bit because I recognise and want to help people impacted by things in recent years.

You need to get over any ideological issue that may be real (or may be in your head) in respect of a thread on a messageboard and realise our younger generation is in need of help due to policies put in place in recent years. This IS a thread about the impact on children. That it wasn't started by someone ideologically pure enough for you says more about your priorities, not anyone else's. I couldn't care less who started the thread.

Quite an extraordinary outlook from you tbh. This isn't about the lockdown. That's the past. This is the future and the issues are real.

The problems some young people are facing as a consequence of the lockdowns are real. If all you have to say is tough luck, or pull your socks up, then fair enough, you've said your piece. But telling others to "grow up" isnt helpful to anyone whatsoever.

My kids were largely fine thankfully. Some of my friends kids really were not. I have friends who are teachers who have said some kids have regressed years.
    You recognise and want to help ......your words

We don't?

That's incredibly sanctimonious

Leave these big issues to those directly involved or give up work , give up your time to mentor stressed out kids or write a thesis

You are no better than some bloke in the street on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    That's the key

And think the pandemic wasn't as such and that the injections didn't apply to you

Not because you had an underlying health condition .....as many people have .....but because you have too much access to Google

You’re a self appointed government deputy , if I recall you wanted all unvaccinated to undertake unpaid slave Labour, which you took great delight in. I can’t take anything you say seriously more-so when you think you know a few of the boys when in reality you were one of the hangers Sludgey boy.

If conspiracy is the best you can come up with , then that just about sums you up.

That's the key

Nothing on here has suggested you or Dorcus recognise the problem and both have dismissed it as a part of lockdown and kids need to be more resilient etc.

And that's fine if that's your view. I'll just file it under the other long list of things I am proud to disagree with you on.

But the issue of the impact of lockdowns on kids is absolutely real and being told to "grow up" by a man who is more interested in the political affiliation of the OP than the serious matter at hand grates a lot. It doesn't matter whether you support lockdowns or not, there were pros and cons of them like all policies, but this discussion is about one of the very real cons.

Here's a Kings College London study on it. It's findings are a little different to yours.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/an-isolated-ge...d-young-people

You really aren’t thinking clearly again, and do you have kids to even comment

I don’t think you have a clue what people with children went through and as an aside it’s not a hatred at all, it’s more the fact that many many people who called out the policy from the start and were labelled all sorts, but clearly from what is being allowed to be released from the public enquiry the same people are being proved correct.
    He,s not having Kids, you guessed because of
    Wait for it
    Wait for it,
    Wait for it,
    Climate Change 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    And it tells you to grow up 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Comedy gold 🤣 😂 😆 😄

You’re a self appointed government deputy , if I recall you wanted all unvaccinated to undertake unpaid slave Labour, which you took great delight in. I can’t take anything you say seriously more-so when you think you know a few of the boys when in reality you were one of the hangers Sludgey boy.

If conspiracy is the best you can come up with , then that just about sums you up.
    I would do more than slave labour

But failing that fine them

You are too old to be talking about football aggro

Nothing on here has suggested you or Dorcus recognise the problem and both have dismissed it as a part of lockdown and kids need to be more resilient etc.

And that's fine if that's your view. I'll just file it under the other long list of things I am proud to disagree with you on.

But the issue of the impact of lockdowns on kids is absolutely real and being told to "grow up" by a man who is more interested in the political affiliation of the OP than the serious matter at hand grates a lot. It doesn't matter whether you support lockdowns or not, there were pros and cons of them like all policies, but this discussion is about one of the very real cons.

Here's a Kings College London study on it. It's findings are a little different to yours.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/an-isolated-ge...d-young-people
    Get out of here

Old people died

And some people helped it kill them by failing to isolate and get a jab

Suffer little children

Ironically none of the people who are screeching 'think of the kids' have actually outlined what they think the main issues are and are just using it as a way to get on their high horse. I don't have children but I number crunch for a local authority children's services department and so fully aware of the issues out there, recently the biggest for us has been to locate a bunch of kids who haven't officially gone EHE but have off rolled from school over the past few years essentially slipping through the net (obviously a massive safeguarding issue). Systems aren't joined up and government policy has allowed/encouraged a disconnect between LA and school, without the DFE picking up the slack.

We were seeing a massive increase in children with additional needs pre-pandemic and it looks like it is increasing at a faster rate now, some probably lockdown related but it is important to note that this is the continuing of a trend. Thankfully there is finally more funding for those performing the statutory side of things around children with SEN but this will come at the expensive of other budgets in an already stretched environment and as ever early intervention will trump a reactive solution every time.

Get out of here

Old people died

And some people helped it kill them by failing to isolate and get a jab

Suffer little children
    We. Aren't. Talking. About. The. Lockdown

We. Aren't. Talking. About. The. Lockdown
    Yes you are

It's the title of the thread and the content of most of your posts you complete jellyhead

I don't think you have a grasp of the extent of the issue here. And in terms of growing up, I don't appreciate that one bit because I recognise and want to help people impacted by things in recent years.

You need to get over any ideological issue that may be real (or may be in your head) in respect of a thread on a messageboard and realise our younger generation is in need of help due to policies put in place in recent years. This IS a thread about the impact on children. That it wasn't started by someone ideologically pure enough for you says more about your priorities, not anyone else's. I couldn't care less who started the thread.

Quite an extraordinary outlook from you tbh. This isn't about the lockdown. That's the past. This is the future and the issues are real.

The problems some young people are facing as a consequence of the lockdowns are real. If all you have to say is tough luck, or pull your socks up, then fair enough, you've said your piece. But telling others to "grow up" isnt helpful to anyone whatsoever.

My kids were largely fine thankfully. Some of my friends kids really were not. I have friends who are teachers who have said some kids have regressed years.
    Life sucks, get on with it

You really aren’t thinking clearly again, and do you have kids to even comment

I don’t think you have a clue what people with children went through and as an aside it’s not a hatred at all, it’s more the fact that many many people who called out the policy from the start and were labelled all sorts, but clearly from what is being allowed to be released from the public enquiry the same people are being proved correct.
    Whether or not I had children during the lockdown is irrelevant 😂😂😂

Lockdown was absolutely necessary and it served its purpose. No one wanted it and it was anticipated problems would ensue. However, it was necessary to prevent a grave situation getting far worse. Are there lessons to be learnt, yes of course, like starting it earlier for one. However, if we faced the same situation again then I would expect broadly the same response.

Yes you are

It's the title of the thread and the content of most of your posts you complete jellyhead
    No we are talking about the impact of the lockdown and other Covid related issues on young people.

The lockdown(s) happened. That's by the by. Most supported them on balance, including me, certainly for the first one.

But we are now talking about 2023. Not the merits of the lockdown of which there are no doubt many. The thread is (or was supposed to be) about one of the negatives of it.

Most things produce good and bad results. Even if the overall policy was good, it doesn't mean you can't talk about how to fix some of the bad outcomes.

No we are talking about the impact of the lockdown and other Covid related issues on young people.

The lockdown(s) happened. That's by the by. Most supported them on balance, including me, certainly for the first one.

But we are now talking about 2023. Not the merits of the lockdown of which there are no doubt many. The thread is (or was supposed to be) about one of the negatives of it.

Most things produce good and bad results. Even if the overall policy was good, it doesn't mean you can't talk about how to fix some of the bad outcomes.
    Luckily for us the UK government are so invested in education, youth services and providing mental health services for young people, we have an infrastructure ready to alleviate issues caused by a botched lockdown.

Thank fuuck, the UK didn't spunk money on xhoddy PPE and the likes.

Lots of airheads were against the lockdown

Blame them for the negative affects

Without it , it would have been far worse for the poor little children

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Whether or not I had children during the lockdown is irrelevant 😂😂😂

Lockdown was absolutely necessary and it served its purpose. No one wanted it and it was anticipated problems would ensue. However, it was necessary to prevent a grave situation getting far worse. Are there lessons to be learnt, yes of course, like starting it earlier for one. However, if we faced the same situation again then I would expect broadly the same response.
    I would expect most countries to follow Swedens example knowing what we know now, and trust it’s population to take sensible precautions.Those who have been totally spooked by the behaviour scientists can of course stay at home and isolate themselves.

You should never totally lockdown healthy people especially children.

A virus will do what it’s meant to do regardless of measures being taken.

I would expect most countries to follow Swedens example knowing what we know now, and trust it’s population to take sensible precautions.Those who have been totally spooked by the behaviour scientists can of course stay at home and isolate themselves.

Personally this is closest to my opinion. The first lockdown was understandable perhaps but subsequent ones should have been more targeted IMO.

"Trusting the population to take sensible precautions" is the flaw in your argument. We all know a sizeable cohort of the population is not sensible. In an emergency you cannot trust to chance.

As for locking down the healthy to protect the vulnerable that's eminently sensible and it's a highly important defensive measure.

Just because you are dead against lockdowns it doesn't mean, as a last resort, they shouldn't have to be deployed. Comparing Sweden to the UK is fatuous; for a start their population density is much much lower and I seem to recall they admitted themselves they got it wrong because their COVID death rate spiralled in the latter stages of the pandemic.

Unfortunately in times of crisis unpleasant strategies often have to be deployed. Whether or not you dislike those measures is not relevant.

"Trusting the population to take sensible precautions" is the flaw in your argument. We all know a sizeable cohort of the population is not sensible. In an emergency you cannot trust to chance.

As for locking down the healthy to protect the vulnerable that's eminently sensible and it's a highly important defensive measure.

Just because you are dead against lockdowns it doesn't mean, as a last resort, they shouldn't have to be deployed. Comparing Sweden to the UK is fatuous; for a start their population density is much much lower and I seem to recall they admitted themselves they got it wrong because their COVID death rate spiralled in the latter stages of the pandemic.

Unfortunately in times of crisis unpleasant strategies often have to be deployed. Whether or not you dislike those measures is not relevant.
    To say you would do the same thing again really doesn’t make sense , anyone with an ounce of sense realises it was overwhelming flawed especially when high profile policymakers were breaking the rules themselves.

To say you would do the same thing again really doesn’t make sense , anyone with an ounce of sense realises it was overwhelming flawed especially when high profile policymakers were breaking the rules themselves.
    It was hardly overwhelmingly flawed but obviously it could have been executed better. The likelihood is any other administration would have handled it far more effectively.

Anyone with even a molecule of sense would see that the fact high profile policymakers broke the rules had absolutely nothing to do with the efficacy or otherwise of the strategy.

You can put that down to the reckless libertarian instincts of the politicians themselves, many of whose personalities would genuinely be classified as socio and psycho pathic.

It was hardly overwhelmingly flawed but obviously it could have been executed better. The likelihood is any other administration would have handled it far more effectively.

Anyone with even a molecule of sense would see that the fact high profile policymakers broke the rules had absolutely nothing to do with the efficacy or otherwise of the strategy.

You can put that down to the reckless libertarian instincts of the politicians themselves, many of whose personalities would genuinely be classified as socio and psycho pathic.
    No wonder many people within the population were sceptical of the whole concept then judging by you last sentence, perhaps rather than calling out people who were uneasy with lockdowns, vaccine mandates etc , maybe you should vent your frustrations at the people running the country.

No wonder many people within the population were sceptical of the whole concept then judging by you last sentence, perhaps rather than calling out people who were uneasy with lockdowns, vaccine mandates etc , maybe you should vent your frustrations at the people running the country.
    Surely we should vent our frustrations at all the self-centred, entitled granny-killers, not just the most high profile hypocrites amongst them?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Surely we should vent our frustrations at all the self-centred, entitled granny-killers, not just the most high profile hypocrites amongst them?
    You’re spouting government propaganda there looks like the sage think tank did its job on you.
    I think you need to look at the data which shows that statistically that propaganda slogan you’re talking about was actually false.

You’re spouting government propaganda there looks like the sage think tank did its job on you.
    I think you need to look at the data which shows that statistically that propaganda slogan you’re talking about was actually false.
    Check out the masks

Conversations like this one were inevitable because nobody had a proven template for dealing with a deadly pandemic that would hit the whole world from the fairly recent past three and a half years ago, so it was a case of making it up as they went along and there were always going to be mistakes or errors of judgement.

Therefore I find it hard to be critical of the notion of going into lockdowns, more that it took so long to go into the first one. By contrast, I never agreed with the WAG’s decision to close things down ago over the winter of 20/21 at a time when the most vulnerable had been given a vaccine.

I do blame the UK Government for ignoring the results of the Cygnus project that tested responses to a pandemic held a few years before the advent of Covid and I think the Public Enquiry currently taking place will be pretty damning about many aspects of the response to the crisis. I may be wrong, but I doubt if there will be a huge amount of criticism regarding the concept of lockdowns, more about how policy evolved as methods of combatting the virus were found.