+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Johnson as well as Ramsey missing for Wales.

Johnson as well as Ramsey missing for Wales.

Re: Johnson as well as Ramsey missing for Wales.

I am primarily interested in the City ahead of Wales. In my youth, followed Wales with the same intensity as the City eg drove up to Wrexham to see Arfon Griffiths score in the important Euros game versus Austria in about 1976, watched Tosh and Flynn put Scotland to the sword in about 1975 at Ninian Park etc. Then the international team was full of players only born in Wales; no one being selectable then because they had a grandmother born in Wales for example.

Can’t get my mind around all sports recruiting players born outside of their borders. We know that it isn’t just football which does this. The Welsh team when I used to cycle down from home to the Park Hotel to collect autographs before or after a game in about 1966-70 only comprised Welsh men. Colin Green, Peter Rodrigues, Barry Hole, Stuart Williams, Graham Williams, Wyn Davies, Ron Davies, Tosh and Flynn, Terry Hennessy, Mike England, John Charles etc were all bona fidelity Welsh born. Hankering for those days, I no longer feel as strongly about Wales as I used to, although I 100% want them to defeat Croatia - the friendly I don’t care about the result.

I make it that 9 of Page’s squad were born outside the Principality. The corollary is that upon checking, a number herald from Cardiff which I was unaware of. Wes Burns for example who I wouldn’t mind seeing at the City playing for Cardiff.

Want Ramsey to do well for Wales but only after he puts the City first!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I am primarily interested in the City ahead of Wales. In my youth, followed Wales with the same intensity as the City eg drove up to Wrexham to see Arfon Griffiths score in the important Euros game versus Austria in about 1976, watched Tosh and Flynn put Scotland to the sword in about 1975 at Ninian Park etc. Then the international team was full of players only born in Wales; no one being selectable then because they had a grandmother born in Wales for example.

Can’t get my mind around all sports recruiting players born outside of their borders. We know that it isn’t just football which does this. The Welsh team when I used to cycle down from home to the Park Hotel to collect autographs before or after a game in about 1966-70 only comprised Welsh men. Colin Green, Peter Rodrigues, Barry Hole, Stuart Williams, Graham Williams, Wyn Davies, Ron Davies, Tosh and Flynn, Terry Hennessy, Mike England, John Charles etc were all bona fidelity Welsh born. Hankering for those days, I no longer feel as strongly about Wales as I used to, although I 100% want them to defeat Croatia - the friendly I don’t care about the result.

I make it that 9 of Page’s squad were born outside the Principality. The corollary is that upon checking, a number herald from Cardiff which I was unaware of. Wes Burns for example who I wouldn’t mind seeing at the City playing for Cardiff.

Want Ramsey to do well for Wales but only after he puts the City first!
    I make it that there are three members of this squad who were released by City’s Academy.

I think you argue your point as well as it can be done, but I honestly don’t feel any different towards the non Welsh born members of the squad as I do towards the ones born there.

I also want Ramsey to keep on playing for Wales because I support both City and my country, it surprises and disappoints me that it would appear that there are quite a few on here who feel differently when it comes to the second part.

Maybe they have been spoilt by recent success. I can’t understand that attitude either.