+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ramsey, what's happening?

Ramsey, what's happening?

The news of Aaron Ramsey's injury broke just short of a week ago and, as is the case with other injuries to City players in recent years, it's seems like getting blood out of a stone is easier than getting definitive statements as to how long a player is going to be missing.

To be fair to Erol Bulut, he did say after Saturday's game that Ramsey had ruptured a knee tendon, but gave the impression that it was hard to say much more until it was known whether he would need an operation or not.

It may not be the most reliable source, but I just Googled "recovery times for a ruptured knee tendon" and the consensus seems to be that you're looking at something like five to eight months, possibly longer in older patients. As a professional sportsman, you would have thought that Ramsey would be at the lower end of that timescale, but, even if he is, that's not going to be much of the season left when he's able to play again.

If Bulut was right about the nature of the injury (I see no reason to believe he wasn't), it looks like we're looking at months rather than weeks out for Ramsey.

Re: Ramsey, what's happening?

I tend to think the longer it takes for any definitive statement from the club, the more serious the injury is. Could well be the last time we see him on the pitch - surely would consider retiring if out for the rest of this season..

Even on one leg, he’s better than some of the shite we’ve had to put up with over the last couple of years

Whilst I wouldn't expect any positive news so soon after the original diagnosis, the silence isn't good.

Your body lets you know when you can't do the things you used to.
    Every time you end up on the treatment table the mental strength weakens.

Ramsey has shown more mental strength than the vast majority who have played the game, has nothing to prove and above all he has his future health to consider.

I hope that the dreaded decision day is still a way off but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he has called it a day.

We are playing very well and getting results without him in the team, perhaps we should be grateful that the Ramsey effect in getting better players to join us etc is working.

I don't think anyone expected him not to be beset by injuries off and on this season.

He was down the Splott Cons on Sunday, making a young City fan’s birthday very special.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The news of Aaron Ramsey's injury broke just short of a week ago and, as is the case with other injuries to City players in recent years, it's seems like getting blood out of a stone is easier than getting definitive statements as to how long a player is going to be missing.

To be fair to Erol Bulut, he did say after Saturday's game that Ramsey had ruptured a knee tendon, but gave the impression that it was hard to say much more until it was known whether he would need an operation or not.

It may not be the most reliable source, but I just Googled "recovery times for a ruptured knee tendon" and the consensus seems to be that you're looking at something like five to eight months, possibly longer in older patients. As a professional sportsman, you would have thought that Ramsey would be at the lower end of that timescale, but, even if he is, that's not going to be much of the season left when he's able to play again.

If Bulut was right about the nature of the injury (I see no reason to believe he wasn't), it looks like we're looking at months rather than weeks out for Ramsey.
    Speed of diagnosis, quality of operation, quality of of rehab are general determinants of recovery from any injury. But equally so are three other indicators such as: Is it a priior injury? (in this case, yes). IS he mentally strong enough with injury recovery, or does he suffer from kinesiophobia (lack of belief in your own body / mental block not physical? Finally, the big one - what is the grade of inury? A grade 1 will heal quicker. Grade three is the worst severity. This applies to breaks or tears.

So those six factors will determine his recovery times.

Probably same as most clubs regarding the more serious injuries, no news isn't good news.

And yes for our club pretty much any injury, what is going on with o'dowda and bowler.

I may be alone in this but some sort of recovery vlog or blog would be interesting. See the progress they are making and give people a chance to appreciate the amount of work that undoubtedly goes on behind the scenes to get these guys back fit as soon as possible whilst not aggravating anything further.

With the longer term injuries it may also help them still feel a part of the club and what's going on. In my mind Vassell for instance was just lost in the ether somewhere a figment of my imagination.

I am sure that, after realising that they have failed to keep you in the loop, the club will be in contact with you very shortly to give you a full apology and update. No doubt you will provide your own update to the rest of us very shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I am sure that, after realising that they have failed to keep you in the loop, the club will be in contact with you very shortly to give you a full apology and update. No doubt you will provide your own update to the rest of us very shortly.
    Your form for bitter and daft replies, is very consistent. A Cardiff fan, talking on a Cardiff City message board, about the welfare of one our best ever players, seems natural to me.
    Nobody expects minute by minute updates by the club, but as club supporters, and paying club supporters at that, a little bit more information, isn’t much to ask for in my opinion.

How old are you?

A bit of advice for you, sometimes it really is best just to say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    How old are you?
    Pick any of the single digits in his username.

A bit of advice for you, usually it really is best just to say nothing.
    Corrected for you.

You're a weirdly angry man.

46 league games, 10 Wales fixtures scheduled in 2023 and both domestic cup competitions are simply too much for any almost 33 year old - with hundreds of hard past games in his legs behind him - including Ramsey. No way should Page have brought him on for the worthless friendly before the crucial Latvia match.

I wonder what sort of contract he is on? Would have made sense if the club had one in place that was a basic wage plus appearance money (or at least availability money...) with generous bonuses for games played. Suspect he will be out for several months - hope at least he can contribute something in training by mentoring some of the younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    I wonder what sort of contract he is on? Would have made sense if the club had one in place that was a basic wage plus appearance money (or at least availability money...) with generous bonuses for games played. Suspect he will be out for several months - hope at least he can contribute something in training by mentoring some of the younger players.
    I doubt very much that Ramsey would be on a contract like that. they mostly exist in the imaginations of football message boards

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I doubt very much that Ramsey would be on a contract like that. they mostly exist in the imaginations of football message boards
    Rambo is only here because he wants to be here
    He would have had plenty of offers for bigger money than we could have dreamed of paying him.

Currently he has an injury, if it keeps him out for a few months and we have him back for the last few months of the season, we’re still bloody lucky to have him
    Hopefully he isn’t out for too long, but let’s face it we have the best player in the Championship here, it’s just unfortunate that we don’t have him week in week out, we’ll just have to settle for him coming back at the business end of the season, to drive us into a playoff spot

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    46 league games, 10 Wales fixtures scheduled in 2023 and both domestic cup competitions are simply too much for any almost 33 year old - with hundreds of hard past games in his legs behind him - including Ramsey. No way should Page have brought him on for the worthless friendly before the crucial Latvia match.
    I’m glad we’ve managed to make this Page’s fault

You think contracts that pay bonuses based on appearances don't exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You think contracts that pay bonuses based on appearances don't exist?
    of course they exist, but contracts with a really small basic wage and massive appearance bonuses don't tend to

of course they exist, but contracts with a really small basic wage and massive appearance bonuses don't tend to
    Read his post again. He didn't use the words "really small", he just said "basic". He also didn't use the words "massive appearance bonuses" - he said "generous".

I see Erol Bulut said after last night's game that he was hopeful that Ramsey wouldn't need an operation.