+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If we somehow fluked a promotion

If we somehow fluked a promotion

Wouldn't it be smart for Tan to just settle the debts, sign basically no one or freebies, take the relegation on the chin and be healthier with all the parachute money?

You always see all these promoted teams blow 100+ M on signings, be relegated again and be worse off with all the added wages.

Re: If we somehow fluked a promotion

Wouldn't blame Tan to be honest if he didn't want to spend that much, we've wasted so much money the last two times we were promoted.

If by a miracle we did go up I'd try and sign a few good championship players so if we did go down we'd have a decent chance of bouncing back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Wouldn't blame Tan to be honest if he didn't want to spend that much, we've wasted so much money the last two times we were promoted.

If by a miracle we did go up I'd try and sign a few good championship players so if we did go down we'd have a decent chance of bouncing back up.
    Isn’t that what Warnock tried to do.

Pretty much what Luton are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Isn’t that what Warnock tried to do.
    In theory. Trouble is he then chucked that idea away when we got relegated, signed players only suited to Warnockball on steroids and f*cked us over for the next few years

You can fluke a game but you can't fluke 46.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmyoldaccount View Post
    Wouldn't it be smart for Tan to just settle the debts, sign basically no one or freebies, take the relegation on the chin and be healthier with all the parachute money?

You always see all these promoted teams blow 100+ M on signings, be relegated again and be worse off with all the added wages.
    I think in that case you'd need to give the squad a good pay increase, otherwise they're playing in the Premier League on Championship wages and that is one very unmotivated squad with a guaranteed relegation. The home fans would be furious throughout the season too.

That seems like a lot of pieces to pick up once back in the Championship, even though the club is now richer.

I see what you're saying, although Tan has failed twice in the premier league, he has an ego..... I'm just happy that we're moving forward, things are going in the right direction, players are improving. We seem to have a real coach who has an idea of what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Pretty much what Luton are doing.
    Exactly.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luto...rs/verein/1031

They are thinking of sustainability and I applaud them for that. They will likely go down rock bottom, but their future is bright. Unlike others acting like lottery winners blowing all their money on a bugatti.

we won't, think we are at a high watermark at the moment

Nine games have been played. Suggest you don’t get carried away with the lofty position in the table.

It won’t happen, but if it did, he’d be better off taking his chance to sell.

Don’t think he would though, as he’d get caught up in the excitement

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Nine games have been played. Suggest you don’t get carried away with the lofty position in the table.
    'somehow fluked'

not exactly getting carried away.

Exactly.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luto...rs/verein/1031

They are thinking of sustainability and I applaud them for that. They will likely go down rock bottom, but their future is bright. Unlike others acting like lottery winners blowing all their money on a bugatti.
    To be fair I thought Luton were odds on to go down rock bottom with a record low points total but they look a significantly better side than Sheffield United (who have also spent quite responsibly) and pretty close to Burnley (who have not) so far which I was not expecting. All three have targeted young players who will not necessarily all bolt if they go down though or be on massive wages in the Championship, which is far more sensible than some teams promoted in the not too distant past have been.

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    It won’t happen, but if it did, he’d be better off taking his chance to sell.

Don’t think he would though, as he’d get caught up in the excitement
    This, if he wanted to ever make a profit he'd put us up for sale the night we got promoted. We'd be bought within days.