+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ollie Tanner - new contract

Ollie Tanner - new contract

Just signed, 3 year extension. Excellent news.

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityFC/st...j1Bcy93kw&s=19

Re: Ollie Tanner - new contract

I'm happy with that

Great stuff

He is going to be worth a fortune in years to come ....

Lets hope doesn't receive more death threats from Spurs fans? as he did when turning down that transfer to Spurs in January 2022,..

Great news, fair play to the club there has been a huge shift in our deals with contracts and signings this summer.

He's thoroughly deserved it.

I think the biggest hurdle he's had to overcome, since becoming a full-time professional, is the fitness levels required.
    I feel it was a shock to him; it was almost like he was just trying to see out the final whistle in his cameo appearances and nothing else. He wasn't in a position whereby he could hope to impact a game, even after only coming on in the 80th minute, everything was still passing him by due to his total lack of fitness.

Imagine the distractions he might have had in his early career.... he is young, good-looking, a football player living in the London area, lots of potential things to sidetrack him and no real great expectations heaped upon his shoulders whilst playing part-time football.
    If he carries on listening and learning, he'll have a fantastic career in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    He's thoroughly deserved it.

I think the biggest hurdle he's had to overcome, since becoming a full-time professional, is the fitness levels required.
    I feel it was a shock to him; it was almost like he was just trying to see out the final whistle in his cameo appearances and nothing else. He wasn't in a position whereby he could hope to impact a game, even after only coming on in the 80th minute, everything was still passing him by due to his total lack of fitness.

Imagine the distractions he might have had in his early career.... he is young, good-looking, a football player living in the London area, lots of potential things to sidetrack him and no real great expectations heaped upon his shoulders whilst playing part-time football.
    If he carries on listening and learning, he'll have a fantastic career in football.
    I think that the biggest problem he faced was where to put himself, positional play, and understanding his defensive duties, he basically didn't have a clue, looked like a penguin in a desert. Bulut has worked hard with him it seems, he's much sharper, much more aware and knows his role. And I agree about his fitness levels as well, although not his looks ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that the biggest problem he faced was where to put himself, positional play, and understanding his defensive duties, he basically didn't have a clue, looked like a penguin in a desert. Bulut has worked hard with him it seems, he's much sharper, much more aware and knows his role. And I agree about his fitness levels as well, although not his looks ...
    Well, as regards to his looks - legend has it, that when YOU enter a nightclub, the ladies' knicker elastic can be heard snapping from 10 metres away,!

That Cameo against Leeds in the cup was up there with the worst, looked lost and was knackered within minutes, after that I had no hope for him and hadn’t seen anything to suggest he would be up to it in development game together with his failed loan at Non League,
    Wow what a turn around, a huge asset for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    That Cameo against Leeds in the cup was up there with the worst, looked lost and was knackered within minutes, after that I had no hope for him and hadn’t seen anything to suggest he would be up to it in development game together with his failed loan at Non League,
    Absolutely!

Some players realise they're at a crossroads in their career (Josh Murphy comes to mind) and either they take on board advice or fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Absolutely!

Some players realise they're at a crossroads in their career (Josh Murphy comes to mind) and either they take on board advice or fade away.
    I haven't thought about Josh Murphy for a while. But it still disappoints me. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I haven't thought about Josh Murphy for a while. But it still disappoints me. What a shame.
    Without an ounce of evidence to back it up, i'd say that Murphy stopped being interested in the game, no enthusiasm for it. That's how it looked to me.

Without an ounce of evidence to back it up, i'd say that Murphy stopped being interested in the game, no enthusiasm for it. That's how it looked to me.
    You were clearly a talented kid to get on city's books

Why didn't you make it ?

Chick's? Gambling ?

He made a massive step up, Tier 7 ( for both Lewes and Folkstone, he was dual registered as not getting in the team at Tier 5 / National league Bromely with Folkstone ) then signed for Lewes ( back down to T7 )

I dont disagree with your point about his Defensive duties ( and I still think thats a massive weakness in his game, but to counter that, how exciting is he going forward, its enough to excite even the most boring of fans ) but at the level he was at, he wouldn't have been asked to do that side of the game, it would have been use your skill and get forward, let the defenders defend, we are talking simple parks football here, where defenders defend and wingers attack

Fitness would have been a huge step up to us, he would have trained twice a week in the evening for Both Lewes and Folkstone for maybe 2 hours a go

I personally said he lacked self belief and confidence, I said to my daughter the 1st game I saw him play, give him a run of a few games, get him believing he belongs here and we will have a exciting player to watch

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You were clearly a talented kid to get on city's books

Why didn't you make it ?

Chick's? Gambling ?
    Well Sludge, just to say that i think that it was a bit more easier back then than it us now, plus City weren't as good or professional as they are now, it was a different time in so many ways!

The honest truth is that i was never really interested in being a footballer, in fact, i hated it from the start, the training from the age of 10 up until 18, the environment, the 'banter' and the daily bollockings for absolutely nothing. It didn't suit me and i didn't have the character to succeed.

So, one sunny morning i walked into Len Ashursts office and told him that i wanted out. Cut a long story short, he offered me a month off, that was as far as the support went back then.

I was offered terms by Huddersfield and asked up to Wolves and Leeds for a week. Looking back, i wish that i had gone to Huddersfield.

Just for clarity, this is no hard luck story, i'm not sure that i would have been good enough, i may well have been booted at the end of my apprenticeship. I didn't ever regret my decision until oddly enough, recently. I'd have retired 16 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    He made a massive step up, Tier 7 ( for both Lewes and Folkstone, he was dual registered as not getting in the team at Tier 5 / National league Bromely with Folkstone ) then signed for Lewes ( back down to T7 )

I dont disagree with your point about his Defensive duties ( and I still think thats a massive weakness in his game, but to counter that, how exciting is he going forward, its enough to excite even the most boring of fans ) but at the level he was at, he wouldn't have been asked to do that side of the game, it would have been use your skill and get forward, let the defenders defend, we are talking simple parks football here, where defenders defend and wingers attack

Fitness would have been a huge step up to us, he would have trained twice a week in the evening for Both Lewes and Folkstone for maybe 2 hours a go

I personally said he lacked self belief and confidence, I said to my daughter the 1st game I saw him play, give him a run of a few games, get him believing he belongs here and we will have a exciting player to watch
    Agree with most of that, Matt. Good post.

Well Sludge, just to say that i think that it was a bit more easier back then than it us now, plus City weren't as good or professional as they are now, it was a different time in so many ways!

The honest truth is that i was never really interested in being a footballer, in fact, i hated it from the start, the training from the age of 10 up until 18, the environment, the 'banter' and the daily bollockings for absolutely nothing. It didn't suit me and i didn't have the character to succeed.

So, one sunny morning i walked into Len Ashursts office and told him that i wanted out. Cut a long story short, he offered me a month off, that was as far as the support went back then.

I was offered terms by Huddersfield and asked up to Wolves and Leeds for a week. Looking back, i wish that i had gone to Huddersfield.

Just for clarity, this is no hard luck story, i'm not sure that i would have been good enough, i may well have been booted at the end of my apprenticeship. I didn't ever regret my decision until oddly enough, recently. I'd have retired 16 years ago
    Now you only have 15 years to go

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Being honest I had totally written off Tanner after the Leeds game, I thought it was just wishful thinking from the club that they’d found the new Vardy.

Bulut obviously saw something in him and decided to keep him rather than send him out on loan and how right he’s been!

Is it better coaching, more self confidence or attitude or a combination of all of the above?

Whatever it is, it’s working and I hope he goes on to have a long and successful career with us

He's undoubtedly a promising talent and I look forward to seeing him develop throughout his time with the club.

I don't know why but there's Jack Grealish vibes about Tanner. Feel like similar types of player.

Thought he was poor today.