+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one still have a landline and broadband package ?

Any one still have a landline and broadband package ?

Plusnet who have been cool up to now have told me they are in the future only offering broadband deals and not broadband and landline deals for old gits like me who like a traditional phone

They say BT open reach are ending landlines from 2025 ?

Don't they provide landlines for all the big players ? If they do does anyone know if landlines are going to be available at all beyond this date ?

Nice one 🤓 nerds

Re: Any one still have a landline and broadband package ?

Analogue landlines are being phased out. Virgin are sending me some gadget next month to plug my phone into, which I then connect to my modem.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Analogue landlines are being phased out. Virgin are sending me some gadget next month to plug my phone into, which I then connect to my modem.
    Totally ?

By everyone ?

Totally...by everyone...even large companies. They say there will be backup (?) for those who cannot use internet.

Not had a landline for several years (and I am one of those strange people who don't use a mobile...).
    I have used VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) for a long time - direct to my laptop - similar to what is being phased in in the UK. Via voipfone.co.uk...with outstanding customer service.

No need to pay monthly subscription.....I just top up online when needed. The plus? my calls from here in France back to the UK cost just 1p/minute... automatic top-up when set.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Totally...by everyone...even large companies. They say there will be backup (?) for those who cannot use internet.

Not had a landline for several years (and I am one of those strange people who don't use a mobile...).
    I have used VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) for a long time - direct to my laptop - similar to what is being phased in in the UK. Via voipfone.co.uk...with outstanding customer service.

No need to pay monthly subscription.....I just top up online when needed. The plus? my calls from here in France back to the UK cost just 1p/minute... automatic top-up when set.
    Nice one mo , I take it this will work with a I pad etc ?

Looks just what I need

Lots of companies providing it

What made you choose your crew ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    My parents had this with very vague instructions, issue is their modem is in the spare upstairs bedroom so they can only have there phone there which is pointless for them, stupid.

To be fair I’ve never had a house phone in my house, my mum actually comments how nice it is not to have fake phone calls off con people.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Looks just what I need

Lots of companies providing it

What made you choose your crew ?
    As I said...had it for years...weren't many companies then...and I have been more than pleased with them the very few times I've had a problem.

I only have the basic version but that is fine for me....and if I am not at my laptop to receive a call the caller gets the option to leave a message...which then gets sent to me by the company as an email attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    My parents had this with very vague instructions, issue is their modem is in the spare upstairs bedroom so they can only have there phone there which is pointless for them, stupid.

To be fair I’ve never had a house phone in my house, my mum actually comments how nice it is not to have fake phone calls off con people.
    I like the idea of transferring my land line number I have had for 30 years and still use to a location in my house which stays and then use my mobile for moving about

As I said...had it for years...weren't many companies then...and I have been more than pleased with them the very few times I've had a problem.

I only have the basic version but that is fine for me....and if I am not at my laptop to receive a call the caller gets the option to leave a message...which then gets sent to me by the company as an email attachment.
    I like to listen to good experiences

I have sent them an email mail

You have the basic tariff?

What are looking at ?

Only business tariffs on some of these voip providers

I like to listen to good experiences

I have sent them an email mail

You have the basic tariff?

What are looking at ?

Only business tariffs on some of these voip providers
    Basic set up free. Pay for what you use......I top up with £10......lasts me a couple of months.....

Basic set up free. Pay for what you use......I top up with £10......lasts me a couple of months.....
    Nice one Mo , will chill out this afternoon and have a good look into it

Do they come to your pad and set it up or is it easy to do ?

Regards

Wife insists on landline just in case of emergency and mobile fails. Costing me 20 odd quid a month for the privilege for something that has not been used in 2 years.
    Incidentally I get speeds of 100+mbs on my mobile and around 25mbs on broadband. Could so easily bounce usage of phone on everything in house.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Wife insists on landline just in case of emergency and mobile fails. Costing me 20 odd quid a month for the privilege for something that has not been used in 2 years.
    Incidentally I get speeds of 100+mbs on my mobile and around 25mbs on broadband. Could so easily bounce usage of phone on everything in house.
    What does she mean by mobile fail? As in battery has gone?

Seems like it's all ending in December 2025 with regard to landlines although my Internet will drop from 41 to 26 quid

Nothing can be done about it but it's another technology pain in the arse as far as I am concerned

I'm trying to think of the last time I had a landline. I think it was about 20 years ago.

Totally ?

By everyone ?
    It's still a 'landline' though, in the sense it's not a mobile and you still have the number..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's still a 'landline' though, in the sense it's not a mobile and you still have the number..
    A VOIP number is ?

Yes , for me the issue is can I get plus net to sort it out without too much hassle ?

Because if they are not able to do it I am off as they have pissed me off already

I don't like this idea. It reminds me of the card only shenanigans.

I like the idea of transferring my land line number I have had for 30 years and still use to a location in my house which stays and then use my mobile for moving about
    Makes sense. Would take ages changing your details scratched into most public loos around Cowbridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    I don't like this idea. It reminds me of the card only shenanigans.
    What's that then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Makes sense. Would take ages changing your details scratched into most public loos around Cowbridge.
    I am x directory

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    You can tell her that is all coming to an end. Mr Mrs has always maintained that the landline would work even if there was a power cut.That will all end soon.The only calls incoming on the landline these days are scammers and the mother in law, time to get rid.

God no , is this a 1980 post ?

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You can tell her that is all coming to an end. Mr Mrs has always maintained that the landline would work even if there was a power cut.That will all end soon.The only calls incoming on the landline these days are scammers and the mother in law, time to get rid.
    I have been making enquiries with Mo , our French Connection

And I have been reliably informed by a few companies that if you have an existing landline number it can indeed be saved using the VOIP system

For ten quid a month you can keep your number and get free anytime calls so people like me don't have to inform everyone I am now mobile only

And of course its no good just having a mobile if you are one of many that live in areas with crap signals