+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one still have a landline and broadband package ?

Re: Any one still have a landline and broadband package ?

Yes and when I switched broadband providers they were keen for me to keep the landline, even when I thought about ditching it, but maybe that'll change now. The landline with my last two providers, BT and Sky, is now plugged into the broadband hub thing rather than the old wall socket; it's a very simple change. My mum will ring me occasionally and I only use the landline to call my mobile if I've lost it in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have been making enquiries with Mo , our French Connection

And I have been reliably informed by a few companies that if you have an existing landline number it can indeed be saved using the VOIP system

For ten quid a month you can keep your number and get free anytime calls so people like me don't have to inform everyone I am now mobile only

And of course its no good just having a mobile if you are one of many that live in areas with crap signals
    What's your number?

I have been making enquiries with Mo , our French Connection

And I have been reliably informed by a few companies that if you have an existing landline number it can indeed be saved using the VOIP system

For ten quid a month you can keep your number and get free anytime calls so people like me don't have to inform everyone I am now mobile only

And of course its no good just having a mobile if you are one of many that live in areas with crap signals
    Sludge....you do not keep your old copper landline...you don't get free calls.....and you get a new VOIP number....typically (my provider) one beginning wth 0560....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Sludge....you do not keep your old copper landline...you don't get free calls.....and you get a new VOIP number....typically (my provider) one beginning wth 0560....
    I have spoken to the chaps you suggested and they say I can keep my existing landline number ......not the landline but the number ......and 10 quid a month covers lowish phone use

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    What's your number?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    What does she mean by mobile fail? As in battery has gone?
    Yes, in case of mobile problems.
    We had an urgent late night phone call a few years ago on the landline. She always mentions this when I want to ditch landline.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    You can tell her that is all coming to an end. Mr Mrs has always maintained that the landline would work even if there was a power cut.That will all end soon.The only calls incoming on the landline these days are scammers and the mother in law, time to get rid.
    Get rid of your mother in law ??

Buy in Starlink

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Buy in Starlink
    What's that ?

What's that ?
    No more buffering.

https://www.starlink.com/

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    No more buffering.

https://www.starlink.com/
    Far too expensive but cheers

I have to keep my landline because it is the only way the hospital can contact me due to my hearing I have a app that allows me to turn up the sound on my landline that allows me to hear what they are saying does not work on cell phone. Not looking forward to paying extra £10 month to hear on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    I have to keep my landline because it is the only way the hospital can contact me due to my hearing I have a app that allows me to turn up the sound on my landline that allows me to hear what they are saying does not work on cell phone. Not looking forward to paying extra £10 month to hear on the phone.
    You may be able to get if for free

Contact Ofcom

You may be able to get if for free

Contact Ofcom
    Yes I have it free with Vodafone at the moment but only incoming calls allowed except for emergency calls

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    Yes I have it free with Vodafone at the moment but only incoming calls allowed except for emergency calls
    Some of the VOIP companies offer it free

For laptop (win 10) I use FXSound (.com) really does increase the volume for all sounds, including VOIP calls. It is free.
    I don't use a mobile but you can download EqualiserFX for Android phones (free) https://en.softonic.com/top/sound-en...d#equalizer-fx.

For Apple....they don't allow these on their phones.....but there are others....https://apps.apple.com/tr/app/louder...r/id1564277746 It says Free but am sure I read somewhere that it's something like $6/year.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Why wouldn't the copper landline be kept?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Why wouldn't the copper landline be kept?
    Because they are being made redundant

It's no longer going to work

We had full fibre broadband fitted by Sky in August. The new package actually cost less than before.

New router delivered and a new cable to the house (connecting to a small box on the outside) installed by Openreach.

The internal work to bring the new cable inside and connected to the new router was done a week later.

We have/had a landline (mothership and three satellite handsets) that used to be plugged into the main BT box in our kitchen - off the old landline cable. Now the controller handset is plugged into the back of the new router. The number hasn't changed.

The old landline cable is now dead - disconnected from the road. There is supposed to be a BT/Openreach programme of removing these redundant cables but nothing has been done yet after 18 months of full fibre installations - and the engineer hasn't heard of a start date.

The landline still works as it did before August. But if there is a power cut or the broadband goes down it won't work - unlike before.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We had full fibre broadband fitted by Sky in August. The new package actually cost less than before.

New router delivered and a new cable to the house (connecting to a small box on the outside) installed by Openreach.

The internal work to bring the new cable inside and connected to the new router was done a week later.

We have/had a landline (mothership and three satellite handsets) that used to be plugged into the main BT box in our kitchen - off the old landline cable. Now the controller handset is plugged into the back of the new router. The number hasn't changed.

The old landline cable is now dead - disconnected from the road. There is supposed to be a BT/Openreach programme of removing these redundant cables but nothing has been done yet after 18 months of full fibre installations - and the engineer hasn't heard of a start date.

The landline still works as it did before August. But if there is a power cut or the broadband goes down it won't work - unlike before.
    So you use your old phones and basically have a landline up in the sky ?

So you use your old phones and basically have a landline up in the sky ?
    Er... yes. I think.

How will the scammers be able to get hold of one's self if there's no landline ?

Because they are being made redundant

It's no longer going to work
    The copper will still be there until the day we all have Fibre To The Home. What they are stopping are the analogue phone system. If you don't already have a router they'll need to supply one for the new system to work. They'll also supply an adapter. This changes the digital signal that will be coming to your house to analogue and then you'll still be able to use any existing older phone. For anybody old enough and interested in this stuff, this change will be the end end of System X.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    The copper will still be there until the day we all have Fibre To The Home. What they are stopping are the analogue phone system. If you don't already have a router they'll need to supply one for the new system to work. They'll also supply an adapter. This changes the digital signal that will be coming to your house to analogue and then you'll still be able to use any existing older phone. For anybody old enough and interested in this stuff, this change will be the end end of System X.
    I am a luddite and have absolutely no idea about all this nonsense

I spoke to plusnet who provide my landline and broadband and they are stopping new landlines and existing ones will be stopped in December 2024

I will probably be moving in 3 or 4 months and I told them I wanted to keep my number and could they sort it all out but I havnt heard back from them as far as I am concerned all the broadband providers are wankers

... all the broadband providers are wankers
    Well there's the precis.

We're with BT. My understanding is that if we don't do anything we will keep our landline number. We can pay for internet and 'phone or internet only. There's a difference in price. It's up to us to work out how much use we do make of our landline and how much it will now cost. It could be cheaper to transfer (port) the number to a VOIP provider.
    We would then change to internet only.

But long and short, for us, doing nothing means it will all still work.