Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
No - I don't think 'people HAVE to agree with her quote. Many or most won't. But she is clearly talking about the destruction by Israel of Jewish values as she sees them - not the bizarre ('nudge nudge wink wink') interpretation you have put on her words.

In what version of reality could anyone (critic or supporter) think or claim that 'the annihilation of the (Jewish) race' (to use your words) has happened to give the ghost of Hitler a victory? It is a complete nonsense of an argument, and if put forward as a live threat not a reality, it would only come from those with the complete opposite viewpoint to that of Miriam Margolyes - from those who endorse all the actions of Israel in Gaza!

I did check back to page 1 and you are right that NYCBlue called Israel a Nazi state. I disagree with him. But you were not referring to page 1 with your deflection; you were talking about the last few pages since I posted the Margolyes quote. No one who has contributed to this particular strand of the discussion has said what you claim.
But I do think thats what she is saying. We all know that many people have made this lazy and inaccurate analysis and at the very least she should use less clumsy language. If she really is saying that it's as if Hitler won, either shes saying Israel are acting like him (ie his legacy lives on) or that he has successfully reduced a Jewish state to barbarism. But he never wanted that. The idea of a strong nuclear armed Israel would have appalled her. So that's why I interpret her statement as I did, and many others would too.

Anyway, it's an interesting discussion, albeit about a particularly small part of a much wider debate, about which I don't doubt we agree on the end goal (a two state solution). It's about how you get there.

It's Friday evening now Jon, I've given it my best shot and no doubt the debate will continue. For now I wish you a lovely evening.