+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 40 Killed In Hamas Attacks In Israel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 40 Killed In Hamas Attacks In Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'm sure this will be controversial for many and whilst I wouldn't presume to speak for Sludge I think a suggestion on the conflict might tie in to his general thoughts on the issue.

There's no doubt this conflict knows no bounds and will run and run and run. How long in time and how many innocents will be killed and maimed before a political settlement will be achieved to end the cycle of suffering? Many people cannot see that horizon because it's much too far away.

Although an eye for an eye is rooted in the psyche of nearly all humans as a rational reaction to attack I wonder if in this instance Israel would be better advised to spare any more human suffering and resist retaliation?

I think if they followed this course of non retaliatory violence Israel would likely gain kudos and probably gain much more support for their cause than hitherto.

What exactly will exacting violent punishment achieve? It certainly won't act as a deterrent because it will inevitably lead to more conflict and, incidentally probably increase support for the Palestinian people.

This may be an opportunity for Israel to lay the foundations for a peaceful settlement by gaining the moral high ground and resisting the shrill calls to exact revenge.
    You are right of course, and that goes for any conflict really, but we all know it won't happen unfortunately.

The best hope is for no wild escalation

Re: 40 Killed In Hamas Attacks In Israel

I think the subject of the thread is far more important that the usual descent of Punch and Judy left v right spats between the usual parties on here.