+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A question about improving support

A question about improving support

I was asked this question on another message board and I thought I would share here in the hope some ideas might develop.

whilst the home support is steady , following the recent liaison , what’s been suggested in respect of improving home support ( considering it’s no longer just about finances ).

Also the same question in respect of away support which has gone down significantly?

There was a meeting with Mehmet Dalman and the head of departments ahead of the game Saturday about this very subject and I am waiting to hear ,the outcome but they are looking at this seriously, I would imagine some deals would be on offer to encourage fans but no doubt the club will then get feedback or complaints from Season ticket holders.

Its not easy unless we are winning every game and at top of league or in the Premier league. So what can we do? The CCSC suggested that we open the club more on non matchdays, make sure the shop is open, maybe later until 8 pm when fans are home from work. Maybe open a cafe that fans can visit at the stadium, get the Museum finished and open, generally make the stadium more accessible to visitors /fans on non match days.

I think we have the pricing right at our ground but please reply with any ideas you have that might increase home attendances.

As for away we really have had it tough in the first 5 games. Ipswich, Leeds, Sunderland Middlesboro , Blackburn , only Leicester and Birmingham have been less than 4 hours away...I am sure our away support will pick up , its very expensive to do an away game and fair play to those that do attend, some never miss a game.

Re: A question about improving support

If it's not so much about finances, then kids for a quid normally goes down quite well? or st holders can introduce someone for a cheap ticket etc.
    But try and make sure it coincides with a day city are playing well so they come back

Maybe if the club allowed all the independent travel organisations to advertise their services in the match day program, we may pick up a few bookings !

Not all fans know we exist

FOC of course

I agree that the ticket pricing strategy seems to be about right which leaves two things that the club need to address.
    Firstly, the cost of refreshment purchases at the ground. The pricing is not only an annoyance for regular fans but for the more occasional visitor becomes a significant obstacle to attendance unless making other arrangements.
    Secondly, the transport infrastructure around the stadium is a major issue. We finally have a shuttle service back from the centre of Cardiff but so much more could be done. The clubs should take a look at what other clubs do in terms of these arrangements and simply ask themselves what the more occasional fan may need to do to get to the game. For example, many clubs have park and ride services (some are even free) and even liaise with local bus companies to provide specific matchday services to their stadiums.
    A good example is provided at Reading. A shuttle service from the railway station, TWO park and ride services and a number of matchday services from the other towns in the area, e.g. Bracknell and Farnborough.

I never understand why more isn't done in the local community, schools in particular.

Could run some after school sessions, get comp tickets out, vouchers for discounted tickets whatever.

This all costs money but a fraction of the cost of the number one thing to improve attendances....results and sustained "success", challenging for promotion or staying in the premier league. We have seen how our crowd swells during such times and how quickly it fades afterwards.

Would be useful for the club to do some research on how often supporters attend home games and why. If it is financial they could then plan offers that would attract more fans (trying not to just lose money by making it cheaper for fans who'd be going anyway).
    Eg go to 5 games and get the next one free?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I never understand why more isn't done in the local community, schools in particular.

Could run some after school sessions, get comp tickets out, vouchers for discounted tickets whatever.

This all costs money but a fraction of the cost of the number one thing to improve attendances....results and sustained "success", challenging for promotion or staying in the premier league. We have seen how our crowd swells during such times and how quickly it fades afterwards.
    Bristol City used to offer a package to local schools and clubs where the kids could have an hour long coaching session near the stadium with a Bristol City academy coach then go to the match. Cost about £5 per kid and £10 for parents I think. Don't know if they still do it.
    Anything we can do to get kids supporting their local team has got to be good.

I remember Accrington giving a shirt to all kids of a certain age to encourage support, possibly a match ticket as well? Could the club do something similar? A fair chunk of football support comes from a family member/friend dragging someone along, proactively targeting fans could maybe help (especially in a city like Cardiff)

There's also a large student population, could we offer tickets through the students union for instance? Cardiff Uni alone has about 30,000 students. From memory a fair bit of Cardiff Uni's marketing is about how special Cardiff/Wales is, could tie in with that

Pricing is very fair although it should be a blanket price for games, not sure why they bother putting teams in different categories. Just make the starting point for every home game £20.

The ideas mentioned about keeping the club shop open longer on a weeknight etc are , no offence , not going to make any difference. Nor will having better food, it doesn't change anything.

Only three things entices people to the football

- Decent priced tickets (club doing ok on this subject to the above point)
    - A winning team playing good football (beyond anyone's control bar Mr Bulut)
    - Good atmosphere

The final point is the big sticking point, the atmosphere is awful at the moment and only getting worse, the ground is virtually half empty every game, the acoustics in the ground are awful so you can't even hear the away fans and vice versa. Nothing for each other to feed off apart from a block in the Ninian. It means most people who go on a temporary basis are bored stiff watching the game in a half empty stadium in virtual silence for 90% of the time.

Several friends have come to games over the past few years and virtually all of them have a laugh at how dull the experience is. I don't blame them.

Away games wise - we will always have a hardcore that go regularly but cost of living will hit the ones who are 50/50 or go a few games a season. It it at least 60£ to go to an away game for most people these days before you leave your house

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I remember Accrington giving a shirt to all kids of a certain age to encourage support, possibly a match ticket as well? Could the club do something similar? A fair chunk of football support comes from a family member/friend dragging someone along, proactively targeting fans could maybe help (especially in a city like Cardiff)

There's also a large student population, could we offer tickets through the students union for instance? Cardiff Uni alone has about 30,000 students. From memory a fair bit of Cardiff Uni's marketing is about how special Cardiff/Wales is, could tie in with that
    I wonder if there is a Cardiff Uni Bluebirds supporters group?
    Shame that freshers week has just gone, as it would be an excellent opportunity to engage with new students who might want to watch football during their time here.
    Had something similar when I studied in Norwich years ago, and spent many an afternoon at Carrow Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I wonder if there is a Cardiff Uni Bluebirds supporters group?
    Shame that freshers week has just gone, as it would be an excellent opportunity to engage with new students who might want to watch football during their time here.
    Had something similar when I studied in Norwich years ago, and spent many an afternoon at Carrow Rd.
    I had a row of Cardiff Uni students next to me for the Jacks game, not sure if they were uni or met ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Would be interesting to know what other clubs in the UK and abroad do so we can copy the best ideas. Could be a research project for someone doing one of the club's sports management degrees?

Some German clubs include the cost of public transport to and from the ground in the ticket price.
    Doing that might help get a few more people in.

Wasn't there a scheme a few years back where you could buy four or six tickets for different matches at a time for a discount?

Another option would be discounts on bulk (4+) buys for one match so a group of people can come together.

Like the rugby , football in South Wales is a big event thing and always has been

Cardiff City have a huge population to draw on but a lot of them simply are not interested in turning up regularly

We got big crowds v Leeds in the fa Cup but after beating them the next home game saw ninian Park half empty again

It's always been the same

It's quite embarrassing really

I think the stadium is too big , nearly 20000 Saturday wouldn't have been bad in a 25000 seater ground

Nothing wrong with the prices I just think south wales sports fans talk the talk but that's about it

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Some German clubs include the cost of public transport to and from the ground in the ticket price.
    Doing that might help get a few more people in.

Wasn't there a scheme a few years back where you could buy four or six tickets for different matches at a time for a discount?

Another option would be discounts on bulk (4+) buys for one match so a group of people can come together.

I'd love the first point so much, cost's me £17.50 a return train ticket

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirchgrovePub View Post
    Pricing is very fair although it should be a blanket price for games, not sure why they bother putting teams in different categories. Just make the starting point for every home game £20.

The ideas mentioned about keeping the club shop open longer on a weeknight etc are , no offence , not going to make any difference. Nor will having better food, it doesn't change anything.

Only three things entices people to the football

- Decent priced tickets (club doing ok on this subject to the above point)
    - A winning team playing good football (beyond anyone's control bar Mr Bulut)
    - Good atmosphere

The final point is the big sticking point, the atmosphere is awful at the moment and only getting worse, the ground is virtually half empty every game, the acoustics in the ground are awful so you can't even hear the away fans and vice versa. Nothing for each other to feed off apart from a block in the Ninian. It means most people who go on a temporary basis are bored stiff watching the game in a half empty stadium in virtual silence for 90% of the time.

Several friends have come to games over the past few years and virtually all of them have a laugh at how dull the experience is. I don't blame them.

Away games wise - we will always have a hardcore that go regularly but cost of living will hit the ones who are 50/50 or go a few games a season. It it at least 60£ to go to an away game for most people these days before you leave your house
    I agree completely

People are not going to turn up to watch Cardiff City because the hot dogs are cheap

Winning team , fair ticket price , good day out

All teams see a drop off in crowds depending on form but teams like Leeds , Wednesday, Norwich have bigger fan bases than us so ours drops away quickly , we don't have a big hardcore loyal support

Trying to get a few hundred students interested is a complete waste of time , they will turn up if they are interested in football and its fair priced , and it is

Anything else is just messing about and won't make any difference , it's pointless

The atmosphere can be fantastic but is generally poor and if the ground restrictions can be changed around that would help but the police are unlikely to agree

Away membership needs looking at - I’m all for having a photo ID and a membership card but £30 every season maybe good value if you go on the busses every week but I would do maybe 6/7 aways a season and I stopped going.

It all comes down to cost of tickets in my opinion, yes I think ours are reasonable compared to other clubs but seemingly people still think it’s a lot, it’s an expensive day out.

Travel could be more issue.

A lot also stems from frustration with the club, how often do you hear “same old city”. Hopefully we turn a corner now with Bulut and some professionalism back.

I don’t see how food or drink prices are an issue, maybe because I’ve probably bought a hand full of items ever since it one, generally I can survive without food or drink for a couple of hours. Although a warm team on those very cold nights help.

I think the hardcore who follow us away are fantastic

Those days are not for me now but I do think our numbers seem to be low ?

If cost , poor transport , covid etc are a reason then why are a lot of teams in the Championship taking large followings away from home and we are not ?

300 at Sunderland?
    250 at Middlesborough ?

That's not like Cardiff City

Carlisle United took 4500 to Bolton at the weekend , in league one

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

If cost , poor transport , covid etc are a reason then why are a lot of teams in the Championship taking large followings away from home and we are not ?

300 at Sunderland?
    250 at Middlesborough ?

It’s not to say people can’t afford it, let’s be honest a big cup game and we would sell out, I just think people at the moment are being careful with money (well I am) and picking and choosing what they want to spend money on, what’s value, what gives the most enjoyment etc. I don’t think I could afford an away game these days.

Kids for a quid , student deals , cheap burgers

It's messing about really

In terms of prices to watch us you could let people in for free and they wouldn't turn up , especially if Man United are playing on TV

Of course if we get a decent team then the gates would increase and these sort of fans would complain they couldn't get a seat with a decent view for the 2 or 3 games a season they can be bothered to come

I think concentrating on continuing to offer regular fans decent prices to watch city is the key , the club can hit the occasional fan with incentives when the time is right

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

300 at Sunderland?
    250 at Middlesborough ?

Cardiff to Sunderland 308 miles
    Cardiff to Middlesbrough 284 miles
    Carlisle to Bolton 110 miles

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It’s not to say people can’t afford it, let’s be honest a big cup game and we would sell out, I just think people at the moment are being careful with money (well I am) and picking and choosing what they want to spend money on, what’s value, what gives the most enjoyment etc. I don’t think I could afford an away game these days.
    Why can clubs from other less well off areas attend games, home and away in bigger numbers than us ?

It's tough for a lot of fans at lots of clubs

I thought bulut would kick the inertia a bit but it's still there

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Cardiff to Sunderland 308 miles
    Cardiff to Middlesbrough 284 miles
    Carlisle to Bolton 110 miles
    You can't argue that the support at Sunderland and Middlesbrough was poor , it looked terrible

Those that went were great fans but simply not enough

Swansea took 1000 to Millwall 2 weeks back despite being hopeless

Somethings not right