+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A question about improving support

Re: A question about improving support

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    The club has always been pretty poor at advertising itself. When’s the last time you saw a CCFC billboard, poster, TV/internet ad, etc in and around the city centre?

I can’t think of anything in the last couple years advertising upcoming fixtures, ticket prices, kit releases, etc.

I’m sure a few posters in central station with the dates for the next 5 home fixtures and the prices would pay for itself with increased sales.
    That's a point. Bristol City have loads of billboard posters around the city centre. No way of knowing whether they get any value from them. Might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Too far the other way mate, I’m in Cefn Glas, but thanks anyway
    They pick up in town too , by the council offices I think

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    I’d echo the travel issue. Took the train from Bridgend on Saturday with my 10 yr old boy. The walk up from central station not great so after the match thought we’d catch a train back to Central from Ninian station - jam packed and couldn’t get on it. Had to walk back in the dark which didn’t bother me but my boy wasn’t happy. Got to Central station, got on train and there was a problem with the doors - stuck on there for 25 minutes, boiling hot, no air conditioning, toe to toe. Got into Bridgend and missed our last bus (yes, last bus 6:30pm!). Got a £10 taxi and got home 3 hours after final whistle, just 20 miles down the road from CCS.

Now there’s a whole separate thread needed for the abysmal state of our public transport, but if that’s my experience (and more importantly my 10 yr old’s experience), how are we going to make ‘the day’ more attractive if you have to spend almost 4 hours travelling 20 miles each way? There used to be a Zeelo coach service from Bridgend direct to CCS before Covid, not sure what happened to that.
    Public transport is my biggest gripe as well. It's like the old days of First Customer panel meetings lol!

Getting to and from the ground on a Saturday isn't too bad from Aberdare. Direct train to Grangetown or change in Radyr for Ninian Park. I usually get off in Central and get a bus to Canton to meet with friends.

Getting home from an evening kickoff is far from ideal. There's one train, resulting in a long wait in Grangetown. Not nice in the bad weather. If I can't get on it, I'm stuck in Cardiff, or there's a later train to Ponty and still a hefty taxi fare.

I used the Zeelo bus quite a bit, not often to go down, but certainly to get home. The only issue I had with it is that it didn't go through the village where I live (and another half a dozen or so who used the bus do), when it could have done as it was en route and would have taken an extra couple of minutes. A few of us emailed Zeelo, who weren't interested.

Free buses every 15 mins from The Train Station a hour or 2 before and after the game would help.

After the Swansea game I got a taxi by Jeff Whites because I couldn’t be arsed to walk down Tudor Street if the rain started lashing again.

Engagement and offers with the local communities should be welcome as well and balls to the whiners!
    Maybe 100 or so free season tickets handed out to community leaders for them to give away each home game.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I would say the club gets a lot right, more than most clubs, and the general ticket prices are decent really, and things in the family stand are great, as are the bands in the Canton etc. But still, the following are a few ideas off the top of my head;

Get fans in earlier. Have deals on beer, make the concourses more pleasant. Some drop down seats, some more decoration etc. Just do it up a bit.

Overhaul the prices and service at the food and drink stands. I hate feeling ripped off by my football club. Get better prices, have a cash bar too for people that want to pay that way. Just be less corporate.

The £2 per ticket fee leaves a sour note.

Allow standing in the Ninian lower near away fans

Link up with TfW to better advertise the services from Grangetown and Ninian Park. Maybe even get extra services or price deals

Try and get some fans to volunteer tidying up with litter etc around the ground after games

Improve the pre match music a bit.

Offer a better post match experience to watch results or the next game etc - tied into making concourses better.

Become more of a 24/7 venue for City fans. Show away games in concourses, have the odd gig under the stands etc, maybe offer space for fans with start up businesses etc

Change the shirts every two seasons, not every season, so one summer a new home kit, the next summer a new away kit etc..

Let fans display flags in the ground more.

Introduce more student prices to attract them

Invite more local schools

Reduce the price for mascots.

More parking for disabled fans. This is a big issue for some.

Lots of this stuff costs money but I think in many cases it would result in greater income, better relationships between fans and club etc.

I get the club is a business but I always resent feeling exploited by them, which I sometimes do.
    Most of that actually makes sense.

(You can make valuable contributions when you aren't on your one-eyed Tory hobby horse.)

First Team

Corky, why doesn't the club hire marketing experts who understand yield management (no disrespect meant to any current incumbents)? There's at least one with football experience lurking on here...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The club have to become more active in the community and wider areas. I don't think that they understand that if they want people to support the club then they have to go out and work their nuts off in order to get more people watching, and more importantly, getting the bug that has the side affect of ruining or making your Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

It would have to be a sustained effort, over a long period of time, they have to understand that it's up to the club to entice people, offer incentives, sell the bloody product. There are plenty of boys and girls junior leagues where the club could get involved in coaching, putting things on that aren't directly involved in football. We have NHS workers, Council Workers, Shop Workers etc. Surely the club could offer incentives for people who work in these places to get cheap tickets, bring family members, friends etc. The club could do deals with shops, so if someone buys a product over a certain amount then they can get a Ticket half price.

Leaflet the City centre, or atleast have a presence in the centre of the city with amusement type things that attract kids and parents, where they can speak to people who work for the club. Make the kids feel special, wanted, be interested in them, then sell their parents a ticket or two at a reduced price. There's loads of events in South Wales where the club could have a presence. This would take years to work, but it's the only way to get people involved. Make them feel wanted and offer incentives.
    the cardiff city fc Foundation do sterling work in this area something we should be proud of

imagine our crowds if we went down to league 1 last season !

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Most of that actually makes sense.

(You can make valuable contributions when you aren't on your one-eyed Tory hobby horse.)
    The second comment was unnecessary, but you were almost kind, so thanks. All doable too, with some effort. 👍

First Team

A few general gripes:

1. Transportation to/from the stadium is truly horrendous. I cycled when I was back in the summer and security had cordoned off the cycle rack and moaned when I wanted to use it. The bus situation is a joke. No buses run near the stadium until around an hour after the game. The bus depot is 100 meters away FFS...

2. The general matchday "experience" is drab and boring. There is very little on offer underneath the stands and the prices are silly. (The music played always makes me laugh too - does the club not know anything about the demographics of the early arrivers at games? These are not teens into Taylor Swift, they're old farts.) I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who have been to a US sporting event at a newer stadium and been shocked by higher quality "experience".

3. I'm guessing the walk-up attendance on a match day is low. The reason for this is the club (and indeed most football clubs) have this all wrong - these are discretionary purchasers, not those who have no alternative for their $, like late flight bookers. The club should be discounting last minute customers, not penalizing them. Every empty seat is a wasted revenue opportunity with most costs of attendance being fixed.

First Team

The second comment was unnecessary, but you were almost kind, so thanks. All doable too, with some effort. ��
    Nah, you need to know your place.

J33 waste ground ? If going to build houses eventually but in the meantime Turn that into a free P+R

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    A few general gripes:

1. Transportation to/from the stadium is truly horrendous. I cycled when I was back in the summer and security had cordoned off the cycle rack and moaned when I wanted to use it. The bus situation is a joke. No buses run near the stadium until around an hour after the game. The bus depot is 100 meters away FFS...

2. The general matchday "experience" is drab and boring. There is very little on offer underneath the stands and the prices are silly. (The music played always makes me laugh too - does the club not know anything about the demographics of the early arrivers at games? These are not teens into Taylor Swift, they're old farts.) I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who have been to a US sporting event at a newer stadium and been shocked by higher quality "experience".

3. I'm guessing the walk-up attendance on a match day is low. The reason for this is the club (and indeed most football clubs) have this all wrong - these are discretionary purchasers, not those who have no alternative for their $, like late flight bookers. The club should be discounting last minute customers, not penalizing them. Every empty seat is a wasted revenue opportunity with most costs of attendance being fixed.
    If you offer discounts for last minute customers, lots of fans would leave buying tickets until the last moment, creating a big problem.

Some good ideas in here.
    I have to say more / advertised supporters buses from the valleys would be good.
    It’s a pain going if you want a few beers.
    I generally drive because the transport links are so bad, but I can see why people who aren’t as fussed about being there won’t bother

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Some good ideas in here.
    I have to say more / advertised supporters buses from the valleys would be good.
    It’s a pain going if you want a few beers.
    I generally drive because the transport links are so bad, but I can see why people who aren’t as fussed about being there won’t bother
    Whenever Wales play rugby, Arriva and now Transport for Wales, make changes to get supporters home.

I know Cardiff City, or even Swansea, Wrexham etc don't generate that amount of passengers, but it's still an issue. I remember some years ago waiting for a train in Pyle on a Sunday. Every 2 hours. One turns up, 2 carriages, full of Man City fans. I couldn't get on it.

Would it be such a problem if train capacity could be increased when needed to get fans home safely, without hoarding them onto trains like cattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Whenever Wales play rugby, Arriva and now Transport for Wales, make changes to get supporters home.

I know Cardiff City, or even Swansea, Wrexham etc don't generate that amount of passengers, but it's still an issue. I remember some years ago waiting for a train in Pyle on a Sunday. Every 2 hours. One turns up, 2 carriages, full of Man City fans. I couldn't get on it.

Would it be such a problem if train capacity could be increased when needed to get fans home safely, without hoarding them onto trains like cattle?
    Man City fans on a train in Pyle on a Saturday morning ?

What's all that about

If you offer discounts for last minute customers, lots of fans would leave buying tickets until the last moment, creating a big problem.
    Yeah thats the risk. Loads buy early cos it's cheaper but leave it until the day and some won't bother esp if weather is poor.

That said, I can also see how high match day prices put off potential casual fans too.

I don’t even bother trying to get on in ninian park/Grangetown to get home anymore. Just too full. So if I’ve gone by train it’s the walk to town then wait. Fun on the way, but not the way home. I can see why people would be put off

Yeah thats the risk. Loads buy early cos it's cheaper but leave it until the day and some won't bother esp if weather is poor.

That said, I can also see how high match day prices put off potential casual fans too.
    When I didn’t have a season ticket, I didn’t go a few times at the last minute because I felt a bit aggrieved paying match day prices. Not sure there’s much of a way around that though

I don’t even bother trying to get on in ninian park/Grangetown to get home anymore. Just too full. So if I’ve gone by train it’s the walk to town then wait. Fun on the way, but not the way home. I can see why people would be put off
    As in walking through Riverside to central ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Man City fans on a train in Pyle on a Saturday morning ?

What's all that about
    No, it was a Sunday afternoon. Found it. Sunday 11 March, 2012. They won 1-0. 2pm kick off. I tried to get a train around 6pm from Pyle back to Cardiff and it was rammed with Man City fans going home. Given the nature of the game, why on earth did Arriva not put on extra carriages? Not just for me, but I reckon that train left Swansea like that and anyone from Neath and Port Talbot wanting a train were fecked. Crap service.

When I didn’t have a season ticket, I didn’t go a few times at the last minute because I felt a bit aggrieved paying match day prices. Not sure there’s much of a way around that though
    Keep them the same price as early ones I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Keep them the same price as early ones I assume?
    If you do that then people will wait and see if they fancy it on the day. If it’s pissing down you’ll lose a lot

I am not doubting the loyalty of our away support I am saying it should be more and plenty of fans think so too
    In these hard up times I don’t know who has the cash to give out £100 or more every other Saturday for an away trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    In these hard up times I don’t know who has the cash to give out £100 or more every other Saturday for an away trip.
    I agree

But how come most fans in the Championship who travel similar distances to us are doing so ?

As in walking through Riverside to central ?
    Yeah, doesn’t sound much but when that’s before you start your actual journey, then a long walk the other end of the train (presuming they run ok) it’s a ballache going by public transport