+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A question about improving support

Re: A question about improving support

Moving to the CCS put a few thousand on our crowd. Sam Hammam spending somone else's money put a few thousand on our crowd. Playing in the Premier put a fair few thousand on our crowd. A spell of three plus years in the Premier would put a few more thousand on the crowd.

All the clubs with big support developed it by being in the top flight at some point and being established there. Cardiff City need a sustained period of relative success and they would fill a 40,000 seater stadium regularly. Just by taking a mean avaerage from all the people on the ticket register over the last 10 years would probably push us beyond that.

I live in the Blackwood area, I went to the same comprehensive as Jason Gummer attended, there were two maybe three of us who went regularly and maybe another 10 to 15 in the other local schools. Take a trip up to any local parks pitch now and you will see City shirts alongside UTD and Liverpool, something that never happened pre-Hammam days(It hasn't been down to him personaly, I hasten to add, more so down to exposure and success). Cardiff City could be as big as they want to be, just need something to reignite that flame across South Wales.

In our first PL season we averaged 27,400. This dropped to 16,500 during the Russell Slade years.

In our second PL season we averaged 31,400. Despite Covid and some fans never returning, and despite two really woeful seasons, 2 relegation battles and really awful home from, we're averaging around 5,000 more than we did when Slade was manager, even more than when we won promotion under Warnock.

We could speculate lots, but of the 4,000 extra fans we got in our second PL season, I bet some have stayed and carried on supporting the club. That's extra support we wouldn't have had without our tier.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Some would say he's a glass half empty kinda guy, others would just say hes a miserable old kent.
    He's senile mun.

Doddery old ****er moaning about today's nearly 20000 in attendance and 13000 spaces in comparison to less than 4000 through the gate and vast expenses of concrete and wooden benches on show of the 80s.

He's worried what other clubs fans will think? It's just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    He's senile mun.

Doddery old ****er moaning about today's nearly 20000 in attendance and 13000 spaces in comparison to less than 4000 through the gate and vast expenses of concrete and wooden benches on show of the 80s.

He's worried what other clubs fans will think? It's just weird.
    He probably thought a one off Boxing Day crowd of 21,000 in 1980 in a 46,000 capacity stadium was awesome

Most stadiums in the championship are around the same % attendance as ours.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    So we get promoted

For a season

Then we go down

But we filled the stadium for a season so that justifies us having a stadium for the rest of the time that's two thirds full ?
    I know it’s a strange concept to grasp, but the idea is to actually stay up…..��
    You didn’t moan about the 37,000 empty spaces back in 1986 did you?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I know it’s a strange concept to grasp, but the idea is to actually stay up…..��
    He probably did,

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You need to tell that to the team

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    He probably thought a one off Boxing Day crowd of 21,000 in 1980 in a 46,000 capacity stadium was awesome

Well there were 4000 jacks there tbf

Quote Originally Posted by Left of Center View Post
    Moving to the CCS put a few thousand on our crowd. Sam Hammam spending somone else's money put a few thousand on our crowd. Playing in the Premier put a fair few thousand on our crowd. A spell of three plus years in the Premier would put a few more thousand on the crowd.

All the clubs with big support developed it by being in the top flight at some point and being established there. Cardiff City need a sustained period of relative success and they would fill a 40,000 seater stadium regularly. Just by taking a mean avaerage from all the people on the ticket register over the last 10 years would probably push us beyond that.

I live in the Blackwood area, I went to the same comprehensive as Jason Gummer attended, there were two maybe three of us who went regularly and maybe another 10 to 15 in the other local schools. Take a trip up to any local parks pitch now and you will see City shirts alongside UTD and Liverpool, something that never happened pre-Hammam days(It hasn't been down to him personaly, I hasten to add, more so down to exposure and success). Cardiff City could be as big as they want to be, just need something to reignite that flame across South Wales.
    40000 stadium ?

Absolutely no chance

I agree with some of your points though

Is greens fishing tackle shop still going ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post

Do you mean most clubs have around the same capacity as us ?

To be hitting the 20000 mark after 3 awful years is pretty commendable.

I hate going over old ground but there’s still plenty who stopped going down following the rebrand. Considering how poor we’ve been, the rebrand, cost of living and COVID, our attendances aren’t that bad.

5 out of the 10 kids in my boys football class turn up weekly in City kits. It might not seem like it at times but we’re moving in the right direction.

Corky, are you going to be printing all this out then or wha'?!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Because they are talking about ways of improving support doesn't mean there's widespread concern.

One choir I run often talks about how we can increase membership, but that doesn't mean we're concerned with numbers.
    Maybe Sludge is being deliberately obtuse.

I guess, I've cone to this thread a bit late seeing as it has already got 9 pages, but here goes from my point of view.

Kids are our future. Kids for a quid on match days when we play teams when there are likely to be much less supporters in the ground, on say five or six times per season.

Another couple of thoughts on the family stand, how about every kid that has a season ticket gets a free programme every time they go to a home game? Maybe get a couple of the team, those who are are coming back from injury and those on the fringe of the team, appear in the concourse between 1.30 and 2.30 to sign autographs. Imagine the kids if say Ramsey (currently) and one of the younger fringe players who isn't in the matchday squad turning up to sign programmes pre-match .

How about filling the Upper Ninian stand with free tickets given out to schools in in South Wales.

When we were last in the prem there were two home games v Bournemouth and Huddersfield where it was buy one ticket get a 2nd free. We should be trying that again when we have less ground filling games. We could have done this recently with the home games v Rotherham and Watford and filled the ground up. We have Blackburn and Preston at home at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb. Two games when the crowd won't be great, would be good to see that initiative used then.

Have a shop in the centre of the city, where tickets as well as shirts etc can be purchased, making sure that cash can be paid for tickets as well as card. On that note , do NOT rip off supporters two quid everyone time they purchase a ticket on line, with a 'booking fee', as it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth. Have lots of 'special offers' on kids clothes in the shop as well.

Make it easier for fans, or those who are visiting our City for the weekend, who decide to go to a game at the last minute to easily purchase tickets at the ground, at NO extra cost and with NO booking fee. Once again make it acceptable for them to pay cash for the ticket. Don't rip fans off by charging a £2 booking fee per ticket.

Cheap tickets for students at University in Cardiff

How about offering food at a decent price. The pubs in Canton always seem pretty packed on match days. The club should be looking at enticing the fans away from Canton and City centre puts and into the ground for reasonably cheap food, with seats and tables to sit at. How about showing a re-run of city's last match on screens in the concourses? Or even music in every concourse, played by a live band.

On the above note, how about the club selling some decent ale at a reasonable price and not the current grossly over-priced pish water that is currently on sale. I'd never ever buy a drink at the ground because of no decent real ale, the laughable price of the pish water and the fact that you have to pay by card. Why no tie-in with local brewery like Brains or even Rhymney? Also how about making sure you can pay with cash as well as by card.

A FREE bus shuttle service from town (Wood St?) every 15 minutes from 12 midday to 2.30 on a Saturday matchday, and 5.30 to 7.15 of a night game. Free return bus shuttle service every 10 minutes after a match for the 2 hours after. There needs to be far more carriages on the trains to and from the central to Ninian Halt and Grangetown. Not sure who that would be down to to get that sorted

How much is the car park these days? I paid to park there the once, last home game of the, I think, 15/16 season v QPR. £8 feckin' quid for 2 1/2 hours? What an absolute joke! Only used it because my mate had knackered knees and couldn't walk. A fiver max. If you are family with say three kids, especially younger ones, then you basically have to use the car park. It just adds another layer onto what is an expensive day out for a family of say two adults and three kids.

The squad need to do more, they should go to the schools on a regular basis and have training sessions. They could hand out some freebies. It's not the older person the club need to target they've already decided who they are going to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    If the Welsh Government really gave a **** about climate change they'd do more with train services and partner with events like this.

It's cheaper and more convienient for people to sit in traffic and park than to get a train next to the stadium.

On a seperate point, the games are too late for kids on a weekday. Kids getting in at 11pm is not practical when they have school the next day.

KOs should be 7/7.15 but that will never change
    Why is 7.45pm set in stone? Half 6 kick offs should be given a trial, better for away fans (even us going away for night games, you’re taking the time off work anyway that day and you’ll be home much earlier after the game if you’re up for work next morning). I find myself kicking my heels waiting for quarter to eight, I’d rather get down the City and get the match started earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Why is 7.45pm set in stone? Half 6 kick offs should be given a trial, better for away fans (even us going away for night games, you’re taking the time off work anyway that day and you’ll be home much earlier after the game if you’re up for work next morning). I find myself kicking my heels waiting for quarter to eight, I’d rather get down the City and get the match started earlier.
    It's a very good question actually. I have no idea where 7.45 came from?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It’ll be 8.30pm before long to allow people time to get to CCS at 20mph

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    If you are working and out of town it isn’t easy getting there for 7:45.

Went to Newport today, they have a club shop in the Kingsway centre. I know we had one once but that's when we were red.
    This maybe something to look at, as they could sell tickets there as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    If you are working and out of town it isn’t easy getting there for 7:45.
    Especially as around 50% of the clubs support is from the surrounding areas rather than the city itself

Especially as around 50% of the clubs support is from the surrounding areas rather than the city itself
    And the rest let's be honest

Ok, might mean it’s a bit of a struggle to get to a 6.30pm kick off, may have to finish work a bit earlier or go straight from work but on the other hand getting home would be more straightforward. Wouldn’t be hitting the house around midnight, it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Ok, might mean it’s a bit of a struggle to get to a 6.30pm kick off, may have to finish work a bit earlier or go straight from work but on the other hand getting home would be more straightforward. Wouldn’t be hitting the house around midnight, it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other.
    It really isn’t. You’ve also not considered people trying to get over the the stadium in rush hour so the early kick off would not just affect those living from outside Cardiff but also those from the east of the city too. And then would the club want everyone turning up at once? Or do you think it’s reasonable for employers to just let people finish work an hour early just because an employee supports a football club an hours travel away?

There’s obviously reason clubs the length and breadth of the country kick off midweek games between 7.30 and 8pm and not 6.30pm for the very small demographic of people who are retired or don’t work and have plenty of time on their hands to get to the match.